Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 25 2013, 11:29 PM   #16
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: So are we finally seeing the waning days of Facebook?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
It'll either radically change to keep up revenue and alienate it's audience or it'll go the way of MySpace and Geocities and be surpassed by the next latest and greatest. I say about 10 or 15 more years (at most) and we'll have a large scale walking back of social media. We're already seeing it being less and less important to people.
That i don't believe.. people, especially those in their 20s and teenagers are just switching services to other sites like Twitter, Instagram and whatever else there is.

None of these may reach the humongous user numbers of Facebook but FB has become an everyday tool and as said earlier it has become uncool since parents and grandparents started using it (my friggin' dad, computer illiterate until 5 years ago is on FB and posting away like there's no tomorrow) but social media has stayed cool and will stay that.

FB is still too big to fail.. they are adapting to changing times but the glory days are over and the shiny paintjob has become a bit dull. People will still use it because they've invested much of their time in it and have connections there but it may be the 2nd, 3rd or even lower ranked sites people check when they go online.
Old May 26 2013, 03:25 AM   #17
Lord Garth
Commander

Teens are leaving Facebook because everyone and their grandmother is on it. They don't want everything they say and do to be seen by their family or the wrong people. I'm 33, so I can't say for sure, but that's what I'd think if I were 15.

I have friends, family, and colleagues on there. Because of that last part, by necessity, I can't leave Facebook. There are entire communities on Facebook that aren't going to just disappear.

It's like TrekBBS. Look at this place. It's been around since 1999.
Lord Garth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 07:56 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

That's true. Having your parents and other relatives on Facebook is an incredible invasion of a teenager's privacy. You can't ban them, so you can only switch the service, or use a second profile.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 07:59 PM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's true. Having your parents and other relatives on Facebook is an incredible invasion of a teenager's privacy. You can't ban them, so you can only switch the service, or use a second profile.
Or you simply don't accept them as your friend. Not that hard.
Old May 26 2013, 07:59 PM   #20
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Okay did any link above show that FB is being used less than it was a year ago (false IDs which have been deleted notwithstanding)?
Old May 26 2013, 08:11 PM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
And spark discussions about that at the kitchen table. Good idea.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 09:46 PM   #22
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

And spark discussions about that at the kitchen table. Good idea.
Well, at least people at the dinner table will talk the old fashioned way instead of the way people "talk" now.
Old May 27 2013, 02:55 AM   #23
Lord Garth
Commander

The drama wouldn't be worth it. "What are you hiding?" "Is there something I should know?" Enraged reaction. Argument starts. Argument ends with, "As long as you live in my house..." which then sparks off a whole other thing.
Lord Garth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 12:25 AM   #24
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Makes me think we're starting to see the dawn/return of a generation that actually realizes that keeping shit to themselves and online privacy are good things.
I don't understand the appeal of Facebook - never have. I have zero interest in reconnecting with anyone in HS or college - other than the people I already have.

And I don't have any interest what people are having for dinner - when they walk their dog - or what they bought at the grocery store.

For people who, "facebook," all the time - and ask for my non existent account - my answer is - "I don't play that game."

Teenagers are smart to not do it. More and more employers are checking facebook as a way to background check potential new employees and applicants.

Anyone posting their last big party - crazy moment - and may be looking for employment - is an idiot.

Good riddance to facebook IMO
Could not agree any further.
Old June 19 2013, 05:09 AM   #25
Gary7
Rear Admiral

A agree with RoJoHen... Facebook allows businesses to connect with consumers in ways never before conveniently possible. THAT won't go away anytime soon, unless something else replaces it.

Twitter and Instagram are all highly geared for fleeting communication. It's great for quick updates, but not for building up a cache of information. It's no wonder teens are finding it more appealing, as they seem to cater to things that move fast and don't linger. ;-)

I'm also of the opinion that Facebook has made too great an investment to fizzle out. Some people have overdosed on it and... well, they eventually had to pull back. If you and a bunch of people who know had to do this, then it's easy for you to conclude FB is on the down turn. But it's all about perspective. I think a majority of people have throttled their usage of FB to where it's manageable.

But... what Facebook is all about is making money. They really haven't cached in on their grand plans yet. The trick of it is more ways to make money from advertising. And at some point again they'll be tripping over themselves as they try to put those plans in action because ultimately people don't want unsolicited advertising.
Old June 19 2013, 10:18 AM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just in my personal life tonight:

A friend contacted me via Facebook to see what I was doing.

We met up at a bar, and we then used Facebook on our phones to get in touch with several other of our friends, who then met us at the same bar.

We then posted a couple pictures on Instrgram and shared them on Facebook because it was another friend's birthday. I ended up having a lot of fun.

Without Facebook, I would have stayed home tonight. Maybe done some laundry.
Old June 19 2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

A lot of businesses don't even bother having websites anymore; they just use Facebook.
Facebook jumped the proverbial shark once it was commandeered by businesses using it as a promotional tool. And I'm inluding pretty much everything here, from bands and movies, celebrities, restaurants etc

It took what was once a cool, hip little site and transformed it into a giant corporate weapon of THE MAN desperate for as many 'Likes' as they can get their grubby little hands on.

You're right in that you can avoid the majority of that by using it sensibly but I don't blame kids for thinking that what was once 'theirs' has been taken away from them by joyless suited douchebags.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 10:54 AM   #28
MacLeod
Admiral

Just in my personal life tonight:

A friend contacted me via Facebook to see what I was doing.

We met up at a bar, and we then used Facebook on our phones to get in touch with several other of our friends, who then met us at the same bar.

We then posted a couple pictures on Instrgram and shared them on Facebook because it was another friend's birthday. I ended up having a lot of fun.

Without Facebook, I would have stayed home tonight. Maybe done some laundry.
Without Facebook who knows maybe your friend would have texted you on your phone to see what you are doing, or perhaps even called you on your phone to see what you are doing.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 11:07 AM   #29
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Without Facebook who knows maybe your friend would have texted you on your phone to see what you are doing, or perhaps even called you on your phone to see what you are doing.
Or maybe they could have arranged the whole thing through carrier pigeons, but it's not really the same thing, is it? People who don't like Facebook seem to purposefully ignore that every method of communication works differently, and is ideally suited to different purposes.
Old June 19 2013, 05:38 PM   #30
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Shazam! wrote: View Post
A lot of businesses don't even bother having websites anymore; they just use Facebook.
Facebook jumped the proverbial shark once it was commandeered by businesses using it as a promotional tool. And I'm inluding pretty much everything here, from bands and movies, celebrities, restaurants etc

It took what was once a cool, hip little site and transformed it into a giant corporate weapon of THE MAN desperate for as many 'Likes' as they can get their grubby little hands on.

You're right in that you can avoid the majority of that by using it sensibly but I don't blame kids for thinking that what was once 'theirs' has been taken away from them by joyless suited douchebags.
This is my biggest gripe with facebook. I should have known it was inevitable in retrospect, but the facebook I joined is significantly different from the Facebook as it is now.