IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 17 2013, 02:09 PM   #46
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

scotpens wrote: View Post
That's a great outfit. How did you make the antennae?
I was born that way.

Two matching plastic watering-can spouts, cut from the container but leaving enough flat area to glue to the inside of the wig. Melted slightly over a gas burner and bent into shape, with suction caps inserted in the end, then papier-mached, painted and matt varnished.

The red velour shirt was my own old favourite from the 70s, with two coincidental moth holes where in chest insignia and rank braids had to go.

Therin and Jack by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:18 PM   #47
yousirname
Commander

Primarily Vulcans, for a variety of reasons both good and bad. I (like to think I'm) fairly logical and dispassionate when reasoning (good), but I'm also (mildly) deficient socially - I don't often initiate social interactions and occasionally miss social cues, though less than I used to.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:21 PM   #48
Sran
Fleet Captain

yousirname wrote: View Post
Primarily Vulcans, for a variety of reasons both good and bad. I (like to think I'm) fairly logical and dispassionate when reasoning (good), but I'm also (mildly) deficient socially - I don't often initiate social interactions and occasionally miss social cues, though less than I used to.
I don't know that I'd call Vulcans socially deficient. They simply manifest social graces differently than most. Only human arrogance would suggest that a behavior different from their own is somehow less socially acceptable.

--Sran
Old June 17 2013, 11:16 PM   #49
_C_
Commander

Probably the Changelings, mostly Odo.

I've always been an outcast and don't really fit in anywhere. I have trouble integrating socially and I'm just fine being all on my own.
Old June 17 2013, 11:27 PM   #50
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Sran wrote: View Post
I don't know that I'd call Vulcans socially deficient. They simply manifest social graces differently than most. Only human arrogance would suggest that a behavior different from their own is somehow less socially acceptable.

--Sran
Vulcan has its own kind of social etiquette. I wouldn't call Vulcans deficient in that area - they can clearly even interact with Humans quite well. They wouldn't call Humans socially deficient, so the reverse is definitely not true.

That being said, one specific Vulcan - Captain Solok from DS9 - WAS definitely deficient in that area. He was, in fact, deficient in the area of "not being an egotistical jackass".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:31 PM   #51
Sran
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Vulcan has its own kind of social etiquette. I wouldn't call Vulcans deficient in that area - they can clearly even interact with Humans quite well. They wouldn't call Humans socially deficient, so the reverse is definitely not true.

That being said, one specific Vulcan - Captain Solok from DS9 - WAS definitely deficient in that area. He was, in fact, deficient in the area of "not being an egotistical jackass".
Totally. Solok's motives for constantly baiting Sisko weren't logical. Why waste so much time trying to prove something if you already believe it's true? Solok strikes me as the type who kept trying to convince everyone else of his ideas and beliefs because he actually needed to convince himself.

--Sran
Old June 21 2013, 10:06 AM   #52
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

_C_ wrote: View Post
Probably the Changelings, mostly Odo.

I've always been an outcast and don't really fit in anywhere. I have trouble integrating socially and I'm just fine being all on my own.
Yet, you are still awesome because you can take any form, while the people around you are stuck in one form. (I get it)
Old June 22 2013, 01:59 AM   #53
yousirname
Commander

I don't know that I'd call Vulcans socially deficient. They simply manifest social graces differently than most.
Oh, sure. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, just that said manifestation was easy for me to identify with during my formative years.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 02:07 AM   #54
Sran
Fleet Captain

Oh, sure. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, just that said manifestation was easy for me to identify with during my formative years.
I understand. Everyone goes through an adjustment period of sorts during life, though it's different for each of us.

--Sran
Old June 22 2013, 04:04 AM   #55
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Solok's motives for constantly baiting Sisko weren't logical. Why waste so much time trying to prove something if you already believe it's true? Solok strikes me as the type who kept trying to convince everyone else of his ideas and beliefs because he actually needed to convince himself.
So Vulcans are capable of being neurotic! Of course, I suppose by human standards all Vulcans are a bit neurotic.
Old June 22 2013, 06:02 AM   #56
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Vulcans are bad at socially interacting with humans, but humans are equally bad at socially interacting with Vulcans. Put a human on a majority Vulcan ship, the human is the social outcast.

Vulcans have a certain dismissiveness of sentimental concerns that is easy to perceive as arrogance and callousness, but it's just a desire to judge actions on the basis of consequence.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 03:52 PM   #57
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I can probably identify with the Cardassians the most. They value order and stability and a sense of duty to the state, and so do I.

Of course I would never support something like the occupation of Bajor - that was a horrible thing. But then again, not all Cardassians were in favor of that, either.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 07:54 PM   #58
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

I'm switching my answer to half Human, half Romulan. The Romulan analytical view of things, seeing both sides of a coin sums my mindset, though replace the arrogance with Human strive.

The Next Gen new wave Romulans from "Unification" with the compassionate/content side of Next Gens "Birthright".
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 08:57 PM   #59
desertstarlover
Lieutenant Junior Grade

This may sound strange, but I can identify with most any of the alien races. When I am watching an episode or an arc, I like to put myself into the shoes of the race(s) at hand. It's fun!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." ~ Captain Picard - "The Drumhead", Star Trek: The Next Generation
desertstarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:53 AM   #60
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I can probably identify with the Cardassians the most. They value order and stability and a sense of duty to the state, and so do I.

Of course I would never support something like the occupation of Bajor - that was a horrible thing. But then again, not all Cardassians were in favor of that, either.
Does that include their judicial system? Aside from their treatment of planets they occupy, they also think the appearance of crime having consequence is more important than punishing the right man.

I'm all for order and stability so long as all citizens are able to benefit from that order and stability equally, and I think the state's loyalty to the citizens is more important than the other way around.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote