Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17 2013, 07:20 PM   #331
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Revised weekend estimates are putting Sunday about equal to Saturday, for an additional three million or so - 116 million for the weekend rather than 113.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 08:46 PM   #332
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Captrek wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
After the show, however, I couldn't help thinking to myself... In our litigeous society, Supes is going to be facing piles of legal trouble with all the death and damage he caused... Doesn't matter if he was saving the world in the process, you know there would be lawsuits...
That goes back to a core concept of the genre that Supes started in 1938...super-heroes are vigilantes, they operate outside the law. You can't sue somebody when you don't know who to sue.
He may have started the genre, but he did not fit that stereotype. He was a paragon of virtue, standing for truth, justice and the American way.
Very true...

While the "don't know who to sue" issue may work when it comes to 99.9% of the Metropolis residents, you know the people of Smallville know who he is.. Or at least some of them do, and you know that loose lips sink ships.. It goes back to the post about if Lois Lane can do some digging and find out who he is, you know there will be a lot of other people doing the same... It wouldn't be long before someone in Smallville talks, especially when you consider how much destruction/death he caused (or was the inadvertant cause of) there...

I realize i'm speaking in real world terms here, about a fantasy world, but when you consider the billions, if not trillions of dollars in damaged caused to the city of Metropolis, not to mention the thousands of deaths, I don't see how Superman could come out of this as the good guy..

Yes, he acted to protect the world, but he was the reason the bad guys were there in the first place...

I know, I know... Just watch and enjoy the movie... Which I did.. I just can't help but be devil's advocate in looking at this..
Old June 17 2013, 08:48 PM   #333
CorporalClegg
Admiral

There will be a scene in the next one where Clark volunteers for the kissing booth at the Smallville fair.
Old June 17 2013, 08:57 PM   #334
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
That goes back to a core concept of the genre that Supes started in 1938...super-heroes are vigilantes, they operate outside the law. You can't sue somebody when you don't know who to sue.
He may have started the genre, but he did not fit that stereotype. He was a paragon of virtue, standing for truth, justice and the American way.
Very true...
You guys have obviously never read the earliest Seigel/Shuster stories. Go pick up a reprint volume of Action Comics and/or Superman from the 1938-1941 era. He was very much a lawless vigilante in those days, who fought for social justice, was usually at odds with the authorities, and was fairly cavalier about the lives of criminals (occasionally throwing them out windows or into the paths of their own bullets).

He was every bit the vigilante as Batman or most other super-heroes that followed in their wake in those days. John Byrne knows this...when he had the 1939 versions of Superman and Batman meet in his Generations Elseworlds story, Batman is interrogating a criminal on top of the Perisphere at the World's Fair, and lets the thug fall. Superman comes upon the scene and catches him. Batman says, "If I'd known you were going to catch him, I wouldn't have let him fall." Superman responds, "If I'd known you'd let him fall, I wouldn't have caught him."
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #335
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I realize i'm speaking in real world terms here, about a fantasy world, but when you consider the billions, if not trillions of dollars in damaged caused to the city of Metropolis, not to mention the thousands of deaths, I don't see how Superman could come out of this as the good guy..

Yes, he acted to protect the world, but he was the reason the bad guys were there in the first place...
Well, since he was there since he was a newborn, he really didn't get to select his home. And is there anyone here who believes Zod would have went on his merry was if Clark surrendered (at any point in the film)?
Old June 17 2013, 09:12 PM   #336
Scout101
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I don't think they want to tie into Smallville.
For fun, though, in the scenes in the arctic with Dr. Hamilton, they had the computer guy, Sekowsky, played by the actor that played Dr. Hamilton in Smallville...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #337
sojourner
Vice Admiral

You mean Gaita from nuBSG?
Old June 17 2013, 09:22 PM   #338
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, Clark saved the world from being converted into New Krypton and he's the only one who could have done that. So he comes out the good guy.

He wasn't responsible for Zod being here, BTW. When Zod and his fellow inmates were freed from the Phantom Zone they started checking up on the old colony worlds, and found Earth. Now, absent Kal-El and the Codex they couldn't have restored the population of Krypton but there would have been no one to stop them from using the World Engine to terraform this place to their liking.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:37 PM   #339
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
I don't think they want to tie into Smallville.
For fun, though, in the scenes in the arctic with Dr. Hamilton, they had the computer guy, Sekowsky, played by the actor that played Dr. Hamilton in Smallville...
There was a Smallville nod every five minutes--all the way down to the font on the water tower.

Heck even the plot sort of was since, to be fair, SV did do the "New Krypton" story first.
Old June 17 2013, 09:45 PM   #340
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Something fans might want to keep out an eye for is a satellite that General Zod destroys. What is so special about that satellite? Well, it has the Wayne Enterprises logo on it, meaning that Bruce Wayne lives in the world of "Man of Steel."
Source
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:47 PM   #341
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The sad thing is, it was ultimately Zod who destroyed Krypton.

Jor-El had a plan for his son to become a bridge that would allow the people of Earth and the people of Krypton to live side by side. Zod wasn't willing to rely on the armor or to spend years learning to adjust as Clark did, so he decided to kryptoform the planet, forcing the conflict that resulted in the final destruction of Krypton.

He existed for one purpose only, to protect the people of Krypton, and instead he personally ensured their destruction. Whoever engineered him fucked up big time. Kryptonian engineers made a habit of fucking their planet, didn't they? Good thing Clark decided to go into reporting instead of engineering.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:54 PM   #342
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Something fans might want to keep out an eye for is a satellite that General Zod destroys. What is so special about that satellite? Well, it has the Wayne Enterprises logo on it, meaning that Bruce Wayne lives in the world of "Man of Steel."
Source
I would definitely prefer a Batman/Superman movie over a Justice League movie, especially if it's Bale's Bruce Wayne but I doubt it.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:59 PM   #343
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Zod headed to Earth after picking up a distress call, presumably activated (possibly unknowingly) by Clark or Jor-El's AI going by Zod's dialogue of picking it after 30 years or so of faffing around in space.

It also wasn't a surprise to Zod that Kal-El was there lending credence to the idea that the call was sent by Clark himself.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:16 PM   #344
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Source
I would definitely prefer a Batman/Superman movie over a Justice League movie, especially if it's Bale's Bruce Wayne but I doubt it.
Ditto. If they can't get Bale, I'll take Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Superman and Batman on the big screen together could be huge...those two have never, in 74 years, appeared together in live action. Why crowd the film with those other guys?
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:17 PM   #345
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Zod headed to Earth after picking up a distress call, presumably activated (possibly unknowingly) by Clark or Jor-El's AI going by Zod's dialogue of picking it after 30 years or so of faffing around in space.

It also wasn't a surprise to Zod that Kal-El was there lending credence to the idea that the call was sent by Clark himself.
Given Jor-El's plan, it makes sense that he would want to summon any Kryptonian survivors once his son had paved the way for them to be accepted. He either failed to anticipate that Zod would escape the Phantom Zone, or failed to anticipate that Zod would reject his plan in favor of planetary genocide as a matter of convenience.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote