Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 12 2013, 01:26 PM   #271
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Gods, that bit where he said people without internet connections should buy a 360 instead was ridiculous. They'll buy a PS4, dum-dum. Congratulations, you just ceded a significant portion of the market to your primary competitor.

This is the same sort of arrogance that Sony execs displayed during the PS3 launch and it's part of what convinced me to buy a 360 instead.
Old June 12 2013, 02:12 PM   #272
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ That plus their inept "handling" of the hacked credit card accounts last year. Yes, MS has severely screwed the pooch with the X1, but don't kid yourselves, Sony is just as retarded when it comes to business models and accountability. Jumping to the PS4 as a knee-jerk reaction is (IMO) folly, as I'm convinced something else will come up that will horrify the Sony customer base (with a growing population of XBox defectors) and make them want to run back into the loving arms of mama MS (also folly). The only winners in this are Nintendo and the PC gaming community.
Old June 12 2013, 06:45 PM   #273
Jax
Admiral

Will there be an XBLA at all on the X Box One? or is it being dropped altogether. I know any 360 downloads from XBLA will not work of course.
Old June 12 2013, 06:52 PM   #274
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Jumping to the PS4 as a knee-jerk reaction is (IMO) folly, as I'm convinced something else will come up that will horrify the Sony customer base (with a growing population of XBox defectors) and make them want to run back into the loving arms of mama MS (also folly).
You're entitled to believe what you wish, but unless there's any evidence for your beliefs it's about as meaningful to this discussion as a fart.

Nobody is jumping anywhere, and nobody is defecting to anything. We're consumers choosing between two next-gen consoles and what we own in the current gen has little bearing on that decision, especially considering neither of these consoles is backward compatible. One of those companies gives the impression they're ignoring consumers while the other is attempting to alleviate our concerns, so the latter is obviously enjoying more support from enthusiasts right now. You're right in that things could change in the coming months, Sony could screw up somehow, or Microsoft could backtrack on some of their DRM. I would not encourage anyone to put money down on either of them right now, I certainly don't plan to. But if someone put a gun to my head right now and forced me to choose, I have a clear favourite.
Old June 12 2013, 08:02 PM   #275
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Don Mattrick has a permanent smirk on his face, like he's pulled the biggest joke on the world and finds it so funny.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:13 PM   #276
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Will there be an XBLA at all on the X Box One?
Xbox Live Arcade will be gone; all games will be centralized in the same XBL Marketplace, with no distinction between "arcade," "indie," and "retail."
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:59 PM   #277
MacLeod
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Gods, that bit where he said people without internet connections should buy a 360 instead was ridiculous. They'll buy a PS4, dum-dum. Congratulations, you just ceded a significant portion of the market to your primary competitor.

This is the same sort of arrogance that Sony execs displayed during the PS3 launch and it's part of what convinced me to buy a 360 instead.
Agreed, it's not rocket science to thing that those who don't have/don't want or have poor interenet connections. Might go buy your main competators console.

It doesn't make business sense to exclude a portion of your market.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 01:52 PM   #278
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post

Agreed, it's not rocket science to thing that those who don't have/don't want or have poor interenet connections. Might go buy your main competators console.

Exactly! Also, the smirk on the guys face as he was saying, I don't know why but that's what sealed it for me. As long as Sony doesn't have a massive screw up between now and when I purchase a new system, that a-hole just gave the competitor my business.
Old June 13 2013, 07:21 PM   #279
Sheep
Vice Admiral

To be fair, Microsoft did this a decade ago when they made Xbox Live broadband only.

The difference is that this time around, as a consumer it's hard to see the benefits of some of the policies they're implementing (I'm sure game publishers are thrilled though). Couple that with multiple viable alternatives that offer comparable gaming experiences like Sony and Steam, then it doesn't make much sense at all.
Old June 13 2013, 11:55 PM   #280
MacLeod
Admiral

Sheep wrote: View Post
To be fair, Microsoft did this a decade ago when they made Xbox Live broadband only.

The difference is that this time around, as a consumer it's hard to see the benefits of some of the policies they're implementing (I'm sure game publishers are thrilled though). Couple that with multiple viable alternatives that offer comparable gaming experiences like Sony and Steam, then it doesn't make much sense at all.
^That's not really the same thing.

With the XBox, and X360 you can still purchase one even if you didn't have broadband and happily play offline by yourself or with friends at home.

With the XBox One it is mandatory to sign in once a day, how do consumers without a broadband connection do that?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 14 2013, 09:54 AM   #281
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^They buy a 360.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:14 AM   #282
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Yep, I want to play the latest games. My options are Wii U which is a good games machine but the games will probably dry up, other than Nintendo's own games, in a few years. Playstation 4, which will get all the new games and be the latest, greatest console and work exactly as you expect a console to work. Or get a console that's at the end of its life and will stop having games made for it in a year or so... Definitely the Xbox 360.
Old June 16 2013, 06:00 PM   #283
MacLeod
Admiral

Now Now, it might not be 12months it might be 18 months.

But I get your point.

Though I suspect when Halo 5 comes out it will get a limited edition console to help drive sales.
Old June 16 2013, 06:05 PM   #284
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I seriously doubt I will buy an Xbox One, but if I do it'll be the same way I bought the PS3 this generation. 3 years down the line when there's a cheap version out and a heap of games worth playing. Hopefully by which point they will have changed their policies. If not I hope I have the strength of character to not buy.
Old June 17 2013, 07:47 PM   #285
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

There's one concern that I hadn't seen brought up until recently. We all know MS has banned a lot of people, even admitting that many were done erroneously due to glitches in their system. With the DRM and the console being always online, what effect would this have on the library? Well...

Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote