Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Weight of Worlds.
Outstanding 8 20.00%
Above Average 22 55.00%
Average 8 20.00%
Below Average 2 5.00%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21 2013, 03:46 PM   #106
xortex
Commodore

Re: TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Greg, you'ld make a great misarian and I, the anarchist from that TNG ep. I finished it. Nice ending but Spock shooting up into the atmosphere, lol, sounds like a comic book. How did he survive that or does nobody really die in sci-fi. Ah, well, the future isn't what it used to be. J.M Strazinsky. I'm not him, but I wish I was.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 09:59 AM   #107
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the story, especially with Uhura getting a shot at the center seat. However, I do notice that there are a lot of references to the episodes and frankly it got annoying after the first ten. The Meow scene from Super Troopers popped in my head every time a TOS episode reference was made.
Old June 16 2013, 03:49 PM   #108
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the story, especially with Uhura getting a shot at the center seat. However, I do notice that there are a lot of references to the episodes and frankly it got annoying after the first ten. The Meow scene from Super Troopers popped in my head every time a TOS episode reference was made.
Yeah, I know this bugs people, and I probably overdo it sometimes, but, honestly, such references always seem plausible to me . . . and hard to avoid. In real life, people have memories and flash on past experiences when they find themselves in similar circumstances. One of the things that occasionally bugs me about TOS (the tv episodes) is that nobody on the ship ever mentions anything that's happened to them before . . . even when they're running into an android or a shape-shifter or a berserk computer yet again. I mean, why wouldn't Sulu worry about being zombified again, like he was in "Catspaw" and "Return of the Archons"? Seems to me that's something you wouldn't soon forget!

Ditto for finding yourself stuck in another person's body, or having a mind-meld with a Horta, or being split into your good and evil halves, and other traumatic, unforgettable experiences that most people would never, ever get over.

And why wouldn't Kirk think ruefully of Edith Keeler or Miramanee or poor Sam Kirk now and then? Again, in real life, people don't stop mourning dead loved ones once the episode is over. I like the fact that these characters have complicated, colorful pasts that they carry with them everywhere they go.

Anyway, that's my reasoning at least . . . .

(You'll be relieved to know, however, that my editor deleted a Miramanee reference from my next book on the grounds that it was one too many trips down memory line!)

Last edited by Greg Cox; June 16 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 12:33 AM   #109
DaveR
Commander

View DaveR's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DaveR Send a message via Yahoo to DaveR

Greg, I appreciate that it's a fine line that all Trek authors walk, and I have to admit that sometimes the excessive continuity references really annoy me. On the other hand, just the right amount actually makes me feel good.

Where is that line? It's hard to say.

What would be more realistic would be to also have memories that don't refer to old episodes, but then you'd get readers who do nothing but say "what episode did that take place in?"

So you can't really win. You can just do what makes you feel comfortable.
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 12:50 AM   #110
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DaveR wrote: View Post
Greg, I appreciate that it's a fine line that all Trek authors walk, and I have to admit that sometimes the excessive continuity references really annoy me. On the other hand, just the right amount actually makes me feel good.

Where is that line? It's hard to say.

What would be more realistic would be to also have memories that don't refer to old episodes, but then you'd get readers who do nothing but say "what episode did that take place in?"

So you can't really win. You can just do what makes you feel comfortable.
Well, people have made the same complaint about my LEVERAGE and 4400 novels, so I probably do overdo it sometimes. But, really, it's partly an (unfortunate?) side-effect of trying to put myself in the characters' heads.

"Gee, wouldn't this kind of remind Kirk of Janice Lester right now?"

But maybe this is an instance where psychological "realism" bumps into the practical conventions of series fiction. Realistically, a guy who was briefly trapped in his insane ex-girlfriend's body would not just shrug it off like another day at the office, but so much weird shit has happened to Kirk and the rest that you can't have them dwelling on all of it all the time! (Despite my best efforts.)

Then again, I do like the idea of the characters having memories. One of the things I loved about BUFFY was that (unlike the TOS crew) the Scooby Gang did remember previous episodes and talked about them when appropriate, as when Xander and Willow compared notes on what it was like to be replaced by an evil twin . . . .

That's usually what I'm going for, maybe to excess!

Last edited by Greg Cox; June 17 2013 at 01:05 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 12:57 AM   #111
Christopher
Writer

I try not to put more detail into the episode references than is needed for the story, and make them subtle enough that they aren't blatantly episode references at all. For instance, I might say "The ritual dance reminded Kirk of a belly dancer he'd once seen in a club on Argelius II," but I wouldn't add "who had then been murdered by the disembodied spirit of Jack the Ripper, which had possessed Scotty and gotten him blamed for the crime before taking over the Enterprise and trying to frighten the crew to death," since those parts probably wouldn't have anything to do with the story I was telling. The key is to make it feel organic, like part of the background texture of the characters and their world, or like necessary exposition, rather than like "Hey, you remember that episode where this happened?"

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 01:05 AM   #112
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^ Probably a sensible approach!
Old June 17 2013, 07:24 PM   #113
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I have no problems with the way Greg did it in this novel.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:34 PM   #114
Relayer1
Commodore

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I have no problems with the way Greg did it in this novel.
None whatsoever.