Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17 2013, 02:13 PM   #316
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

It was definitely said. I think they mentioned it in the bomber plane.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 02:51 PM   #317
RAMA
Vice Admiral

So I finally saw Iron Man 3...what a disappointment, it's not very good. It was all over the place, and very little central focus with it's villain. No real AIM from the comics, Mandarin was literally a joke. Extremis was a shadow of it comic book origins. Not good. C- for Iron Man 3...as opposed to an A from me for MoS..a MUCH MUCH better movie in every single way.

STID: A+
MoS: A
IM3: C-

Hoping to see Oblivion or After Earth in one of their last gasp showings.

RAMA
Old June 17 2013, 02:59 PM   #318
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

I give it a good solid A... Only detractor for me was that it was TOO LOUD for my sensitive ears... I realize that's "my" problem, but still..

Loved the take on the story and even the twist of Lois knowing early on, who he is... That way we can dispense with the back and forth and "romantic tension" between the two of them... Amy Adams was fantastic as the strong willed, kick you in the balls reporter.. But why, exactly was she on the transport plane at the end?? I realize that part was plot convenience theater, but really? I guess the justification being able to "get the story" was enough...

This was a big, ambitious movie with a lot of story to tell and I thought the development of Zod's character was fantastic.. Not just the "He's a bad guy" criminal we saw in Terrance Stamp's Zod..

After the show, however, I couldn't help thinking to myself... In our litigeous society, Supes is going to be facing piles of legal trouble with all the death and damage he caused... Doesn't matter if he was saving the world in the process, you know there would be lawsuits...
Old June 17 2013, 03:06 PM   #319
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

I gave it a B-, and it's only that high because of how strong the first part of the movie was. I loved the actors, Cavill was better than what I was expecting, Crowe and Costner were great, pretty much acting wise everyone was great. The story was good, I love the different take and angle of the story. It's an A+, until we get to the action.

I love big dumb action in movies sometimes. Heck, for the last part of the Avengers I had a big stupid grin on my face as our heroes did battle. That is a long action sequence done right. However, it's been downhill from there for me. IM3, ST ID, big "epic" action sequences that left me wishing it would be over after 10 minutes. This is the problem with Man of Steel. I kept waiting for the big epic battle, the Avengers moment if you will. What I saw was one long punch fest, bouncing from one to the next. I was bored, and I was waiting for it to be over. Action for the sake of action doesn't do it for me in movies. If only they could have spent a bit more time on the ending and cut down on the pointless action sequence it might have been a more solid movie in my opinion. They only thing saving this movie from being a C- in my book is the great opening and the successful re-imagining of it.
Old June 17 2013, 03:06 PM   #320
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
Loved the take on the story and even the twist of Lois knowing early on, who he is... That way we can dispense with the back and forth and "romantic tension" between the two of them... Amy Adams was fantastic as the strong willed, kick you in the balls reporter.. But why, exactly was she on the transport plane at the end?? I realize that part was plot convenience theater, but really? I guess the justification being able to "get the story" was enough...
I'm one of the old school and love all the secret identity shenanigans of comic books but I can understand why they abandoned it here. We all know she finds out anyway and it has been done to death so may as well take the road less traveled.

Lois popped up everywhere. I think she had a personal transporter.
Old June 17 2013, 03:10 PM   #321
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That whole secret identity was pretty much a hard-and-fast aspect of Superman's continuity until the Byrne era. Since then, having a few people here and there know who Supes is - and not necessarily folks that he chooses or who are central to the continuity - is something they've played with from time to time. Also since the 80s, Lois and Clark's relationship has been treated as one that evolves; it was held in a pretty rigid template from the 40s through at least the 70s.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:59 PM   #322
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I may have missed it but why was there a Superman / House of El suit on the Kryptonian scout ship?

I have a few theories* but I just want to make sure that it wasn't something that was explained that I missed.

*On board robots made it when Kal-El activated Jor-El's key thing or Kal-El's ancestors were on board and the brighter colours were what Kryptonians were wearing back then etc
My take on it was the "key" / program running Jor El was also using the ships resources to build and create the suit, which was a pre programmed item in the keys database.

Only way I can see it being real. Kryptonian tech could disintegrate and store on a molecular level (the codec), so it stands to reason it can reintegrate like a replicator.
Old June 17 2013, 05:05 PM   #323
Tyberius
Commander

I haven't read the entire thread.

I went to see it yesterday for Father's Day with my two girls and my wife.

I would not say that Supes is my most favorite comic book of all time. It is tough to decide. Bats is there, x-men, spidey. I have had this same avatar for several years, even though it is from a batman comic.

I give this movie an A. I would give it an A+ but for a couple of minor quibbles, that are probably on the cutting room floor.

To Earth, and humans, Superman is a God. He has to show incredible restraint with his power and emotions. I believe that this was the lesson that Pa Kent was trying to teach Clark, as much as that he should hide himself. I would have liked to have seen a line of dialog in the discussion about the bus that "everybody dies" and saving the entire world, while technically possible, for Clark, is not what the world needs, and may not be Clark's responsibility or purpose.

I would have liked the exposition of Zod's motivation to have come earlier in the film.

I liked the death of Zod. Let us not forget that Superman killed a powerless Zod in the Donner version, so in this version, killing a full power genetically motivated Zod is a problem?

I liked the grief afterwards. I felt the despair was as much for the death of Zod as for the cost of the battle.

I connected with every emotional beat in the film.

I liked the alien-ness of the Kryptonians.

I liked the fight sequences. I liked the weight of the bodies. The Matrix version of the superman fight scene was not physically heavy enough. These combatants looked solid. Superman looked 235 - 250 lbs when he was thrown. The Kryptonians looked 500 in their armor.

I liked the Supe's heat vision and x-ray vision and super hearing.

I liked that this was a "realistic" superman movie. Superman is an alien. The Kryptonians are aliens. What would that look like? How would earth respond? To me, pretty much like this film.

I thought this was the best Superman movie I have seen. I do not know what movie the Rotten Tomatoes critics saw.
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 05:12 PM   #324
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

After the show, however, I couldn't help thinking to myself... In our litigeous society, Supes is going to be facing piles of legal trouble with all the death and damage he caused... Doesn't matter if he was saving the world in the process, you know there would be lawsuits...
That goes back to a core concept of the genre that Supes started in 1938...super-heroes are vigilantes, they operate outside the law. You can't sue somebody when you don't know who to sue.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 05:40 PM   #325
Dark Gilligan
Writer

While not everyone in Smallville may know who Superman is, certainly those who were friendly with the Kents do. And I kind of like the notion that they might protect that knowledge. "He's our boy..." and all that. They know Clark as one of their own, even if he was a little peculiar growing up, which of course they'd understand why now.
Old June 17 2013, 06:07 PM   #326
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Also, if you did know and you made it public you'd immediately become a target for one of his enemies.
Old June 17 2013, 06:24 PM   #327
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Getting rid of the whole "Lois/Clark/Superman" triangle thing isn't such a bad thing. It makes Lois look like less of a moron, and it makes Clark/Superman seem like less of a jerk for doing that to her for all those years (and frankly, taking some smug pleasure from it).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:44 PM   #328
davejames
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'm one of the old school and love all the secret identity shenanigans of comic books but I can understand why they abandoned it here. We all know she finds out anyway and it has been done to death so may as well take the road less traveled.
Yeah I definitely see the appeal, and the previous comic and live-action versions of the character had a lot of good fun with it. But in this day and age-- and especially in a serious movie like MOS-- it just seems a bit ridiculous to think that Lois wouldn't recognize him under the glasses (the others, maybe not, since they don't see Supes up close as often as she does).

But the good thing is there's still plenty of room for romantic tension in this idea, not to mention humor with Lois having to constantly pretend this Clark guy is just an everyday reporter. And I like the idea that they have this huge secret between them as well (which thankfully doesn't require them being married like in the comics).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:45 PM   #329
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, once they finally broke the "she doesn't know" rule decades ago - by having their relationship progress and eventually having them marry - then the question of "at what point does she find out?" is really nothing but bookkeeping whenever they revise continuity.

The idea of Perry White knowing is...pretty much inevitable, for reasons somewhat similar to Lois.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:19 PM   #330
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
That goes back to a core concept of the genre that Supes started in 1938...super-heroes are vigilantes, they operate outside the law. You can't sue somebody when you don't know who to sue.
He may have started the genre, but he did not fit that stereotype. He was a paragon of virtue, standing for truth, justice and the American way.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote