Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 11 2013, 07:23 PM   #46
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG Reboot or Original Cast Comeback? What would you perfer?

johnjm22 wrote: View Post

A series that takes place in the deep future is interesting.
The technology was already bordering on magical as they closed out the 24th century. There was really no issue the tech couldn't solve and it was becoming an issue.

They really didn't have a choice but to go back to basics. The audiences simply weren't connecting with the people or technology of Trek anymore.
Old June 11 2013, 09:13 PM   #47
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

A series that takes place in the deep future is interesting.
The technology was already bordering on magical as they closed out the 24th century.
I agree. One of my big gripes about ENT was that they had the opportunity to do something real primitive, and they managed to keep the transporter, phasers, etc. The show felt a bit too much 24th century to me.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 10:25 PM   #48
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The overly advanced technology would certainly be a problem, but there's a creative solution to everything. And really, where else can Trek go? Rehashes and variations on old ideas don't seem appealing at all.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 01:41 AM   #49
BillJ
Admiral

The overly advanced technology would certainly be a problem, but there's a creative solution to everything. And really, where else can Trek go? Rehashes and variations on old ideas don't seem appealing at all.
Whether its Kirk and Spock or Van Dyke and Rangar, it's all just rehashes and variations of the core concepts.
Old June 17 2013, 06:56 AM   #50
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

What is it the Greeks said, some about there being only eight plots in all of drama.

However, I offer up a change for Star Trek, a TV series based on Vangard. It would check of a lot of boxes...TOS, some times gritty, adventure, the unknown, good character relationships, con men, gangsters, starship combat, derring do, Klingons, Vulcans, politics and so on, and so forth.

For your consideration,
Chuck
Old July 11 2013, 08:13 PM   #51
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

I would watch a TNG reboot. I think any new series will not have the advantage of such a large initial audience (nostalgia). However, reboot or brand new, I don't think we see Star Trek until Television finishes its migration to online episodes (on Demand TV rather than scheduled programming). At that time the neilson ratings will lose their importance and shows will be more accurately valued.

That day is coming . . . but . . . its may be a decade before we enter this brave new world of television episodes.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:15 PM   #52
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I don't think it's going to happen, ever, because the people who would care are too few.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:22 PM   #53
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

KGator wrote: View Post
I would watch a TNG reboot. I think any new series will not have the advantage of such a large initial audience (nostalgia). However, reboot or brand new, I don't think we see Star Trek until Television finishes its migration to online episodes (on Demand TV rather than scheduled programming). At that time the neilson ratings will lose their importance and shows will be more accurately valued.

That day is coming . . . but . . . its may be a decade before we enter this brave new world of television episodes.
Viewers matter. Whether you measure the viewers by sampling(Nielson) or counting(On Demand), the viewership number drives revenue. CSI will continue to have more viewers than a Star Trek show and will therefore have more revenue potential.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:26 PM   #54
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

something, new, maybe another spin off with a gues shot for a vet like Riker, or and this jsut came to me guy in Lower decks he must be like 45 now should be a captain - or anthoigy series a differnet ship each week
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:41 PM   #55
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

RXTT wrote: View Post
TNG was more of a Trek lovers fave. to do a remake in movie form would be stupid. Even a remake on TV would suck.
I disagree. TNG was a top-10 hit in its heyday, beating network television shows. The characters aren't as iconic but people generally know some of them at least.

I don't want to see another TNG movie for two reasons: they're too old, and 3 of the 4 TNG movies were unmitigated crap, and the only good one wasn't even half as good as the best TOS movies.
Old July 19 2013, 03:42 PM   #56
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
Nah, when the films have run their course we should see Kirk, Spock and McCoy return to television. A five-year-mission sounds like an excellent basis for a television series.
I don't think you'll get the current cast to do a tv series. And I really don't want to see the TOS crew recast yet again!
I don't see why not. Aside from Pine none of them are in high demand (and Pine is arguable.)
Old July 19 2013, 03:49 PM   #57
BillJ
Admiral

Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
Nah, when the films have run their course we should see Kirk, Spock and McCoy return to television. A five-year-mission sounds like an excellent basis for a television series.
I don't think you'll get the current cast to do a tv series. And I really don't want to see the TOS crew recast yet again!
I don't see why not. Aside from Pine none of them are in high demand (and Pine is arguable.)
Saldana, Urban and Pegg all seem to be getting regular work. Cho is working on the pilot for Sleepy Hollow for Fox. Yelchin has either completed or is cast in five upcoming films. Same for Pine. Quinto has two films in pre-production.

I think it would be highly unlikely (not to mention expensive) to get the movie cast to work on a weekly TV-series.
Old July 19 2013, 03:57 PM   #58
Chensams
Vice Admiral

No to both. TNG was perfect as it was and the actors are too old for the roles now, especially Data. I want something new but in the TOS/TNG/DS9 continuity, not nuTrek.
Old July 19 2013, 04:13 PM   #59
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post

Saldana, Urban and Pegg all seem to be getting regular work. Cho is working on the pilot for Sleepy Hollow for Fox. Yelchin has either completed or is cast in five upcoming films. Same for Pine. Quinto has two films in pre-production.

I think it would be highly unlikely (not to mention expensive) to get the movie cast to work on a weekly TV-series.
Yeah, but I guess what I'm getting at is that none of them are big stars, nor are any of them likely to be.

And pre-production is meaningless.
Old July 19 2013, 06:31 PM   #60
JJohnson
Captain

I'd be fine with either an Original Series or Next Generation reboot in the original continuity, with more of the original series mood - have fun exploring, and be human while doing it, not bland. Show Captain April and Captain Pike, show a few more aliens in the crew, show more of the crew doing things aside from the senior staff doing everything (TNG seemed to overly rely on only 7 people most of the time). If it were TNG, avoid the jumpsuits, go with something else. If it were TOS, just update the ship aesthetic (not-so-cavernous hallways, touchscreens, and bridge monitors that don't look like pictures, more controls on helm/nav, avoid the gel buttons without labels).
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote