RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 585
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 16 2013, 03:14 AM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Behind the scenes fun....

BillJ wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
I wish they'd also release TNG Remastered on DVD, since I will never, ever switch to Blue Ray.
Reason?

Just curious.
Me too.

It's a superior format to DVD.
From what I've seen, not really.

But the main reason is this: I live on a fixed income and after ten years, I still have not completed upgrading my VHS collection to DVD, and I'm not about to start all over and spend ANOTHER decade doing the same to Blue Ray. What little money I have to spend on entertainment is better spent on other things.

It's literally that simple.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Blu-ray is impressive, but... does one NEED that level of detail? Frankly, I find some productions too saturated with detail and that ends up causing ocular overload--the eyes have to work harder to digest what is presented and creates fatigue. It's like 240Hz displays... so super saturated and too sharp. I find 120Hz about the cut-off on visual clarity, a noticeable improvement over 60Hz but without creating much eye strain that comes with faster frame rates.
Old June 16 2013, 11:51 PM   #18
SpHeRe31459
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Blu-ray is impressive, but... does one NEED that level of detail? Frankly, I find some productions too saturated with detail and that ends up causing ocular overload--the eyes have to work harder to digest what is presented and creates fatigue. It's like 240Hz displays... so super saturated and too sharp. I find 120Hz about the cut-off on visual clarity, a noticeable improvement over 60Hz but without creating much eye strain that comes with faster frame rates.
It has nothing to do with framerate, that's an in appropriate comparison. Especially because nothing is actually at those rates, it's all extrapolated with frame interpolation, which is pretty much just a junk gimmick and changes the nature of the presentation (called the "soap opera effect"). Any home theater enthusiast turns it all off.

Anyway, if you're finding that you think there's too much detail and straining to see it, your TV is too small for HD resolution, especially when a portion of the screen is unused since the Blu-ray's are pillarboxed to 4:3. A person with 20/20 vision can only resolve so much at a given screen size at a specific resolution at a given distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

I have a 60" HDTV and I sit about 12' away (which is actually a little far to resolve full 1080p resolution, but enough to see high def details) and I find the detail exposed on the Blu-ray presentations of TOS and TNG quite amazing. It's clearly superior and hardly a strain to see it.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 12:01 AM   #19
SpHeRe31459
Commander

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

Reason?

Just curious.
Me too.

But the main reason is this: I live on a fixed income and after ten years, I still have not completed upgrading my VHS collection to DVD, and I'm not about to start all over and spend ANOTHER decade doing the same to Blue Ray. What little money I have to spend on entertainment is better spent on other things.

I certainly get the fixed income thing. It's not clear from your post, but if you haven't already collected TNG on DVD, then you aren't "double dipping". So why not skip collecting the series on DVDs and start collecting it on Blu-ray to start with?

The TNG Blu-ray sets have pretty much all the bonus content from the DVD sets on it plus excellent new bonus content.

A good quality name brand Blu-ray players from well supported brands like Panasonic and Sony are relatively inexpensive.
Old June 18 2013, 03:19 AM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post

Me too.

I certainly get the fixed income thing. It's not clear from your post, but if you haven't already collected TNG on DVD, then you aren't "double dipping". So why not skip collecting the series on DVDs and start collecting it on Blu-ray to start with?
I've long since collected all the Star Trek series and movies on DVD, so it would be double-dipping.

No, DVD is good enough.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 01:18 AM   #21
SpHeRe31459
Commander

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post

I've long since collected all the Star Trek series and movies on DVD, so it would be double-dipping.

No, DVD is good enough.
So then following your original premise of just wanting TNG-R on DVD instead of Blu-ray, either way it would be double-dipping and seems counter to the idea of being on a limited income.

Since apparently you'd buy TNG-R on DVD, why not on Blu-ray? It just requires a one-time purchase of an updated optical disc player, a Blu-ray player, that replaces your current DVD player.

Of course the other consideration would be if you have HD capable TV in the first place.