RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,861
Posts: 5,328,785
Members: 24,554
Currently online: 502
Newest member: Kastrol

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Shocks of Adversity.
Outstanding 17 42.50%
Above Average 21 52.50%
Average 1 2.50%
Below Average 1 2.50%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3 2013, 05:14 PM   #16
Reanok
Commodore
 
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Yes that scene with the grappler was really neat to see in this book.I'm halfway through this novel.William Leisner wrote some really great character scenes for Kirk, Spock ,McCoyand the other TOS crewmembers and the Goeg crewmembers and the differences in command and military discipline.I like the alien doctor and engineer from the Goeg ship they're great characters.This book certainly feels like it couldsv've been from a tv episode. This book is just as good as losing the peace. I'd like to see this author write another Startrek novel. This book is certainly full of suprises you don't expect.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:13 PM   #17
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

I enjoyed this book. It had a nice, simple story that felt like a real TOS story. The characters all seemed to act the right way, and the new aliens were interesting. Overall, an above average book.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:31 PM   #18
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain
 
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Outstanding. Just - wow.

Easily the best book so far this year.
__________________
Homer: The information superhighway showed the average person what some nerd thinks about Star Trek.
DorkBoy [TM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 09:05 PM   #19
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

I just finished. It did seem like an extended TOS episode with nothing seeming grossly incorrect. At ~100 lys away from Earth, what happened to that empire by the 24th century?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain
 
Kertrats47's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

In other words, anything could have happened to it. It could be part of the Federation, but then again, maybe not. If it still exists in its current form, I wonder if there is "Federation space" on all sides of it now, or if it's in an area that's kind of left alone in the 24th century... Even at only 100 light-years away, the vastness of interstellar space may mean that it's relatively left alone.
__________________
Trek Lit Reviews (The Lost Era: One Constant Star by David R. George III - July 8th, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
In other words, anything could have happened to it. It could be part of the Federation, but then again, maybe not. If it still exists in its current form, I wonder if there is "Federation space" on all sides of it now, or if it's in an area that's kind of left alone in the 24th century... Even at only 100 light-years away, the vastness of interstellar space may mean that it's relatively left alone.
It's estimated that there are roughly 15,000 stars within 100 light-years. We now consider it likely that most stars have planetary systems. If Earth and the Federation had enough ships to visit an average of one new star system per week, it would take nearly 300 years just to visit them all even once. Exploring them all in-depth would take a lot longer.

So yes, it's quite likely that even in the 24th century, a lot of "nearby" space is still relatively unexplored or at least not routinely visited. And with 15,000 star systems, there's certainly room for a number of independent states to exist as enclaves within nominal Federation territory.

As I've said before, since space is mostly empty, it doesn't really make sense to think of an interstellar power's territory as a solid volume. More realistically, it would be the space immediately surrounding its member systems plus the regularly travelled/patrolled space lanes connecting them, more a tree or lattice structure than anything else. So different powers' territories could easily interpenetrate without really intersecting. Space is certainly roomy enough for it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:23 PM   #22
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
In other words, anything could have happened to it. It could be part of the Federation, but then again, maybe not. If it still exists in its current form, I wonder if there is "Federation space" on all sides of it now, or if it's in an area that's kind of left alone in the 24th century... Even at only 100 light-years away, the vastness of interstellar space may mean that it's relatively left alone.
It's estimated that there are roughly 15,000 stars within 100 light-years. We now consider it likely that most stars have planetary systems. If Earth and the Federation had enough ships to visit an average of one new star system per week, it would take nearly 300 years just to visit them all even once. Exploring them all in-depth would take a lot longer.

So yes, it's quite likely that even in the 24th century, a lot of "nearby" space is still relatively unexplored or at least not routinely visited. And with 15,000 star systems, there's certainly room for a number of independent states to exist as enclaves within nominal Federation territory.

As I've said before, since space is mostly empty, it doesn't really make sense to think of an interstellar power's territory as a solid volume. More realistically, it would be the space immediately surrounding its member systems plus the regularly travelled/patrolled space lanes connecting them, more a tree or lattice structure than anything else. So different powers' territories could easily interpenetrate without really intersecting. Space is certainly roomy enough for it.
I have to wonder how the Federation would handle two autonomous systems within its borders going to war with each other and having the fighting spreading into Federation shipping lanes.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:42 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I have to wonder how the Federation would handle two autonomous systems within its borders going to war with each other and having the fighting spreading into Federation shipping lanes.
Again, if the Trek universe were remotely realistic about the scale of space, the odds would be immensely against that happening, since the volume of those spacelanes would take up an infinitesimal percentage of the volume of space and thus the odds of any accidental intersection would be equally infinitesimal. Realistically the only way any ship is likely to intersect with another ship or a populated area is if it intentionally approaches it. Now, that could draw combatants to a populated star system if they had use of its resources, but beyond such logical nexus points, there's vanishingly little chance of an accidental encounter in deep space.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:00 AM   #24
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I have to wonder how the Federation would handle two autonomous systems within its borders going to war with each other and having the fighting spreading into Federation shipping lanes.
Again, if the Trek universe were remotely realistic about the scale of space, the odds would be immensely against that happening, since the volume of those spacelanes would take up an infinitesimal percentage of the volume of space and thus the odds of any accidental intersection would be equally infinitesimal. Realistically the only way any ship is likely to intersect with another ship or a populated area is if it intentionally approaches it. Now, that could draw combatants to a populated star system if they had use of its resources, but beyond such logical nexus points, there's vanishingly little chance of an accidental encounter in deep space.
True, but that is not the way the iterations of Star Trek has ever treated it. The Enterprises or Voyager were running into random ships all the time. They seemed to portray space as 2 dimensional, and very small, even when speaking of great distances.

Now Firefly.. they got the vast empty-ness of space right.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:25 AM   #25
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

...well, except for that scene in the pilot where they happen to run into the Reapers in the middle of said vast empty-ness. The commentary for that episode has a whole part where Joss talks about how dumb that scene is, in hindsight; it's pretty great.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Space is vast but if all races stick to the "warp highways" for travel then the odds go up significantly.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:02 PM   #27
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I have not yet finished this but I wanted to drop in to perhaps sway someone on the fence about buying - this is a superb book.(so far).
I'm not a big fan of TOS novels in general, and after 5 or 6 TOS novels in a row I have severe TOS-fatigue.

I still have to agree with this assessment so far. I'll confirm when I finish it...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 06:05 PM   #28
William Leisner
Scribbler
 
William Leisner's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
View William Leisner's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

Since this will only be the Most Recent Trek Release for a couple more days, I wanted to just thank everyone who has rated and commented so positively on The Shocks of Adversity over the course of this past month. I'm thrilled and gratified for the reception this book has gotten, which has been well beyond my expectations.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

^ Then it might be a good moment to mention that the response here made me pick it up as well, as the only one of this year's 5YM books so far, because I'm not a big fan of TOS in general (not that I dislike it or that I can't appreciate it, and some of my favorite Trek books have even been TOS ones, I just don't tend to actively seek them out most of the time). I ended up voting "Outstanding" - it was a strong, well-flowing read, written well-enough to be thoroughly entertaining on its own merits, rather than just on the back of TOS tropes. If you write more Trek books in the future I'll likely pick them up based on that track record.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 06:37 PM   #30
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Since this will only be the Most Recent Trek Release for a couple more days, I wanted to just thank everyone who has rated and commented so positively on The Shocks of Adversity over the course of this past month. I'm thrilled and gratified for the reception this book has gotten, which has been well beyond my expectations.
Credit where due - I will be looking forward to your next Star Trek novel !

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.