RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,840
Posts: 5,327,403
Members: 24,552
Currently online: 530
Newest member: mekogas

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 15 2013, 10:57 PM   #151
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
CE Evans: Saying something is ugly is automatically a statement of opinion, so it's hard to believe you thought I was doing anything else.
You're wrong on both counts. There's a difference between stating something as an opinion and stating something as a fact. You tend to do the latter with your posts.
That's really too bad for you, because that's how other people know when someone's expressing an opinion.
So in the future, please assume that any aesthetic or qualitative statement is my opinion, and nothing else.

I'm not going to make a special case for you because you don't feel like expressing yourself clearly.
Don't be silly. He's right.

If someone says "This thing looks ugly" and you attack him for it because "he stated it as a fact", the fault lies with you, not him. It's obviously an opinion. By definition it's an opinion. If you want to play some weird version of a grammar nazi who looks for every statement of opinion that doesn't begin or end with "in my opinion" and then go "But that's just like your opinion man", it's your problem alone.
That's all total bullshit. And that's a fact.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:02 PM   #152
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You're wrong on both counts. There's a difference between stating something as an opinion and stating something as a fact. You tend to do the latter with your posts.
That's really too bad for you, because that's how other people know when someone's expressing an opinion.

I'm not going to make a special case for you because you don't feel like expressing yourself clearly.
Don't be silly. He's right.

If someone says "This thing looks ugly" and you attack him for it because "he stated it as a fact", the fault lies with you, not him. It's obviously an opinion. By definition it's an opinion. If you want to play some weird version of a grammar nazi who looks for every statement of opinion that doesn't begin or end with "in my opinion" and then go "But that's just like your opinion man", it's your problem alone.
That's all total bullshit. And that's a fact.
Here's a threadbomb for future use then:

__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:06 PM   #153
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

^^^
The same applies to you, definitely.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:09 PM   #154
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

"There are four lights!"

Fact or opinion, people?

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:18 PM   #155
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

When people include themselves in a sentence, you know that they're talking about how they personally feel about something--it's an opinion. But when someone makes a broad generalization that "this is that" and you don't agree, eh, then it becomes an issue for debate.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 01:06 AM   #156
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore
 
EliyahuQeoni's Avatar
 
Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
When people include themselves in a sentence, you know that they're talking about how they personally feel about something--it's an opinion. But when someone makes a broad generalization that "this is that" and you don't agree, eh, then it becomes an issue for debate.
Yes, you are free to debate on the disagreement, but it is beyond stupid to point out "That's just your opinion" when that is obviously the case, even if the person didn't specifically say "In my opinion..."
__________________
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 03:03 AM   #157
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You're wrong on both counts. There's a difference between stating something as an opinion and stating something as a fact. You tend to do the latter with your posts.
I'm sorry but that's ridiculous: NOTHING can be objectively ugly or attractive. Just like nothing is objectively good or bad or moral or tasty. I have no idea how you could possibly interpret a statement of that nature as anything else than personal opinion.

But at least now I see what the source of our disagreement is.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 04:48 AM   #158
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Ah, but some people believe their opinions are facts on this board, so it's not a bad idea to specify.

I can't remember if seeing the Enterprise A was a surprise to me initially. But it was a surprise to the crew and a nice moment. A great way to wrap up the arc of II through IV. Spock died and was reborn, Kirk was given a rebirth as captain again so to speak, and here the destroyed Enterprise was reborn in a way. And while the score for this film is my least favorite among the classic Trek films, I think the cue during the Enterprise reveal scene and going into the end credits is quite nice.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 05:06 AM   #159
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

The reveal was such a surprise that this thread has spoiled me--I was going to get around to watching that movie someday, goddammit!
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 11:44 AM   #160
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

dub wrote: View Post
Ah, but some people believe their opinions are facts on this board, so it's not a bad idea to specify.
But that's just your opinion, right?
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 01:04 PM   #161
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

For what it's worth, I think the NX-1701-A looks much better in the old blueprint pack as a set of line drawings than it does as a textured 3D model. I liked the way the warp core ran through the ship diagonally in the cutaway.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 01:33 PM   #162
Faria
Lieutenant
 
Location: Padova
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Faria wrote: View Post
I would have liked something between excelsior and constitution class
Sran wrote: View Post
Faria wrote: View Post
I would have liked something between excelsior and constitution class
Hard to know what that would've been. The Excelsior looked like the next step.
Maybe something like this
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...e-nx-1701A.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/games/...NX-1701-A4.jpg
this ship is horrible
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 04:33 PM   #163
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But that's just your opinion, right?
It is. And that's a fact.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 04:46 PM   #164
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

This is a fact, and that's my opinion. However, that it's my opinion is a fact. In my opinion...
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 07:08 PM   #165
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
When people include themselves in a sentence, you know that they're talking about how they personally feel about something--it's an opinion. But when someone makes a broad generalization that "this is that" and you don't agree, eh, then it becomes an issue for debate.
Yes, you are free to debate on the disagreement, but it is beyond stupid to point out "That's just your opinion" when that is obviously the case, even if the person didn't specifically say "In my opinion..."
Nonsense. If a person makes a broad generalization, it's a broad generalization and is subject to debate if another person thinks otherwise. If a poster can't be bothered to express themselves clearly, then it's the poster's problem.

Belz... wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You're wrong on both counts. There's a difference between stating something as an opinion and stating something as a fact. You tend to do the latter with your posts.
I'm sorry but that's ridiculous: NOTHING can be objectively ugly or attractive.
That's my point. What one person considers ugly another considers attractive.
Just like nothing is objectively good or bad or moral or tasty. I have no idea how you could possibly interpret a statement of that nature as anything else than personal opinion.
That's because I'm not a mind reader. I don't know you. All I can go by is by your statements. You made a broad generalization about something and I disagreed with it. Simple as that.
But at least now I see what the source of our disagreement is.
Unlikely.

Faria wrote: View Post
this ship is horrible
Your post is horrible.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.