Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 15 2013, 06:35 AM   #31
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

TV has been surpassing cinema for a long time now. The latter really only exists as an excuse to get out of the house.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:04 PM   #32
ISP Zombie
Fleet Captain

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
They are already experimenting with $50 tickets:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...wo-days-early/
O_o <-- are they insane?! No one, except for the rich could ever afford tickets as expensive as that. Yes there are ones that cost that much for concerts... but come on... movies? They're supposed to be an escape, not a tax bill -- another added stressor . If something like that happens, the movie industry can go just take it and SHOVE it.

Me too.

Exactly. It wouldn't be worth seeing ANY movie at that price, no matter how good it is. And if that would be the movie industries way of getting back at movie piracy, then they're downright INSANE. It'll still happen no matter what.

Yep. And due to them starting to switch over to digital projectors, it's already starting . Heard about some theaters in my area that might not be able to stay open due to the high cost of those projectors. They may not be able to afford them.
What I said on another forum about said issue.

As for the experimentation -- I wonder how many people actually went to the movie early and actually paid that price to do so. Imho, that would help to KILL the movie industry, more than anything else. The general public wouldn't be able to afford to go out and see a movie.
Old June 15 2013, 07:25 PM   #33
wamdue
Admiral

ok I am struck by two things

1) There really is no reason all movie should cost the same, or even start off with the same base rate, each movie is its own product, so the idea that each movie sets its own price is not madness by itself.

2) I think the reality is that, cinemas will go with the more expensive blockbuster movie, that after all is what put bums on seats, opting not to show a movie like Lincoln, there are only so many screens, and maybe you can make more money running Avengers 2 over 3 screens, rather than 2 screens, and 1 screen airing a more Worthy" movie. This obviously has the effect of pushing smaller movies, to smaller (or art house) cinemas, which will most likely see costs going up not down. I dont think a family who wanted to see the latest blockbuster will go see a more art house movie, simply because its cheaper.
Old June 15 2013, 07:47 PM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Just out of interest what do people pay in the US for cinema ticket these days?
Just saw "Man of Steel" yesterday and paid $7.50 for a matinee. I think regular tickets are $9.00.

The only way I'd start paying variable prices for different movies is if I got something than just the movie. I'll definitely pay $25 to see the next Iron Man...if they also give me dinner.
Old June 16 2013, 03:17 AM   #35
Tulin
Vice Admiral

It is such a novel and quaint thing that America still does "matinees".

It sounds so 1930's to me, as if it is a different experience, going at 2:00, compared to the 8:00pm showing.

My local cinema(not theatre - that's where I saw "Driving Miss Daisy" last night with Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones - BRILLIANT, BTW!)just offers a loyalty card and it's $11 any time - easy!

Last edited by Tulin; June 16 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 03:29 AM   #36
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
It sounds so 1930's to me, as if it is a different experience, going at 2:00, compared to the 8:00pm showing.
Um. It is?
Old June 16 2013, 03:45 AM   #37
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

But it IS a different experience. Cheaper, for one. And generally less crowded. In some ways, I prefer the matinee.
Old June 16 2013, 03:48 AM   #38
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Plus the audience atmosphere is very different.

Oh. And it's light out.
Old June 16 2013, 04:09 AM   #39
Tulin
Vice Admiral

So the film has bits cut out?

They show a longer film at night?

Cannot understand why it's cheaper in the day time. Strange that the land of capitalism and money gauge would short change itself!
Old June 16 2013, 04:11 AM   #40
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Don't get me wrong - it's good for you guys and good on ya for taking advantage of a cinema short-changing itself, but I just don't get it.

It's the same film.

So in a way, this "different prices for different films" already happens in the US - it's just a "different price for different times" thing.

Weird to me.
Old June 16 2013, 04:21 AM   #41
CelticViking
Ensign

My local cinema(not theatre - that's where I saw "Driving Miss Daisy" last night with Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones - BRILLIANT, BTW!)just offers a loyalty card and it's $11 any time - easy!
I am confused, are you talking about live action theatre vs. cinema, cause I don't remember THAT version of Driving Miss Daisy.

Hmmm...
CelticViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 05:51 AM   #42
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

^Yes, Driving Miss Daisy was a play before it was a movie. James Earl Jones has been playing Hoke since the 2010 Broadway revival, though there he was paired with Vanessa Redgrave.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 05:54 AM   #43
CelticViking
Ensign

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
^Yes, Driving Miss Daisy was a play before it was a movie.
I figured... just wasn't sure what interjecting live theatre had to do with discussing movie matinees... boggles my mind.

On the subject of mantinees, I usually work evenings or nights, so being able to see a movie in the middle of the day is awesome. They lower the price to try and drag more people in, but overall I agree it is a weird philosophy.

That said my local 1st run charges $5 for a matinee and $7 for a regular ticket, so I can't complain. The big OMIPLEX downtown is like $13 a movie.
CelticViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 08:18 AM   #44
sojourner
Admiral

Don't get me wrong - it's good for you guys and good on ya for taking advantage of a cinema short-changing itself, but I just don't get it.

It's the same film.

So in a way, this "different prices for different films" already happens in the US - it's just a "different price for different times" thing.

Weird to me.
The lower price is an incentive to draw more customers in during a weak time of the day for sales. What's so weird about that?
Old June 16 2013, 12:40 PM   #45
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I wonder what the break-even threshold is for a screening — the number of butts in seats vs. the cost of paying an employee to run the film, employee(s) to clean the theater after a screening, electricity, etc. I just bring that up because most matinees I go to — even the ones during opening weekend — seem pretty sparsely attended, and that's at a reduced ticket price.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote