RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 520
Newest member: ncc1500

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 8 2013, 08:56 PM   #106
publiusr
Commodore

Re: DC Comics' Star Tek (1st Series)

The DC run was very serious, and I appreciated that.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:32 PM   #107
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

publiusr wrote: View Post
The DC run was very serious, and I appreciated that.
Huh? You must have missed Diane Duane and Peter David's work.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:21 AM   #108
Daddy Todd
Captain

Just finished a complete re-read of the first DC series last night, including three Annuals, two movie adaptations (III & IV) and two issues of "Who's Who in Star Trek"

It's been a couple decades since I last read through these. My memories were that the first bunch of issues were great, that it floundered around as an inconsistently-written mess with generally great artwork for a couple years, then was really just hitting its stride again when Paramount pulled the plug.

Re-reading it over the last week, I can't find a single reason to change any of those opinions. The run of issues starting with 17 all the way through 47 is, frankly, disappointing. Oh, there are definite high points - Diane Duane's three issues - but with the rest it's best to keep expectations fairly low.

Issues 1 - 16 (written by Mike W. Barr) and 48-55 (written by Peter David) are as good as Star Trek comics have ever been, and probably ever will be. (Issue 56, the final issue, was clearly kept around in case someone missed a deadline, and was only published because it was already bought and paid for. It's pretty bad, both art and story-wise.)

I really disliked Michael Carlin's work at the time, and was elated when he went off to do the TNG miniseries in 1987, opening up the opportunity for Peter David to come aboard. Upon re-reading Carlin's work, I feel I was unfair to him, for its not significantly worse than anything else done between Barr and David.

There were attempts to establish a continuity during those years, but the writer turnover every 2 to 8 months prevented anyone from establishing anything like a "voice" in the line. So I'm not saying Len Wein, Mike Carlin, Bob Rozakis and Tony Isabella (and all the one-shot writers) were simply bad writers. They may very well have been able to write awesome stuff, had they stuck around long enough to really take hold of the book and shake it around some.

So, in short, this is a mediocre series of comics, with 16 amazing issues at the beginning and 8 awesome issues at the end -- and some great Annuals and movie adaptations along the way. The rest is pretty much a mess, story-wise, but has great art.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:53 AM   #109
Christopher
Writer

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
The run of issues starting with 17 all the way through 47 is, frankly, disappointing. Oh, there are definite high points - Diane Duane's three issues - but with the rest it's best to keep expectations fairly low.
I think Tony Isabella's contributions -- the Redjac 2-parter and "The Trouble With Bearclaw" -- are pretty solid. He was going to take over as the regular writer with #31, but plans abruptly changed and he had to hand it off to Len Wein, whose work was decent but suffered from stilted dialogue. Bob Greenberger's "Around the Clock" solo issue was also quite good -- I was disappointed he didn't do more. Heck, even Mike Carlin's final issue was pretty powerful.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 02:24 AM   #110
Steve67
Commander

I've just started to read the immediate post-Mirror Universe issues and although it's nice to read stories focusing on Uhura, Sulu, and Scotty, these tales felt like fill ins after the massive arc of issues 9-16 and they seem all the more disappointing since there wouldn't be any lengthy storylines akin to those near-legendary Mirror Universe issues.

I'm still enjoying these and as I've mentioned before, the Tom Sutton-Ricardo Villagran art has the same appeal as Carmine Infantino's art did in those Marvel Star Wars books of 1978-80. I like their take on the "look" of Star Trek, as I particularly enjoyed the space station in the splash page of issue #20, Giri.