Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15 2013, 03:55 PM   #4246
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

They didn't transport through shields in STID.
Old June 15 2013, 10:52 PM   #4247
johnjm22
Lieutenant

Amasov wrote: View Post

If you guys are interested, I filmed this at a recent convention here in Boston. Marina Sirtis and Levar Burton are talking about Into Darkness quite candidly.
Nice to hear them be a little critical of nuTrek, but to be fair, the TNG movies pretty much ditched the whole moral/social/philosophical aspect of trek as well.

They always tried to force more action into the TNG movies and it just didn't work most of the time. The cast wasn't meant for it.
johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:09 PM   #4248
throwback
Captain

I couldn't understand much of what was said by Sirtis and Burton. Is there a transcript of what they were saying?

TrekWeb.com has one of the statements from Burton on ST:ID.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2013/06/...tar-Trek.shtml

When reading this press release, I remembered what Wil Wheaton wrote,

Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/50...ar-trek-is-too
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 12:06 AM   #4249
Opus
Commodore

Berman Movie Trek was pseudo-intellectual at best.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 01:41 AM   #4250
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

throwback wrote: View Post
I couldn't understand much of what was said by Sirtis and Burton. Is there a transcript of what they were saying?

Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that itís philosophical. If you donít want philosophical Science Fiction, thereís plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trekís DNA, and if youíre given the captainís chair, youíd better damn well respect that.
What a load of pretentious twaddle. Sheesh.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 02:24 AM   #4251
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Ovation wrote: View Post

Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
What a load of pretentious twaddle. Sheesh.
I haven't listened to Burton's remarks (nor do I really care to), but in regards to the Jon Stewart interview in the Wil Wheaton link, I do have to admit that there are times (and that interview was one of them) when I wish JJ Abrams would just shut up about how much of a non-fan of Star Trek he was.

Not that you're obligated to be a fan to be a good director. Some of the best Trek writers and directors have not been fans at all, and some of the worst have been huge fans, so it's no guarantee of quality. Nor do I want him to lie and pretend to be something he's not. But you don't have to place sooooo much emphasis on the fact that you weren't a fan and bring it up on your own in every other interview you do. It's kind of bad PR and rubbing it in --especially when his direction is such a divisive issue among certain fans.

Also, while Star Trek is a lot less philosophical than some fans build it to be in their heads (it certainly has its moments, but most of the time it's pretty basic space opera), going into interviews and essentially saying "Star Trek was too thoughtful for me" (admittedly when he was a kid, but he's still talking about it now) is not really a great move when one of the primary fan criticisms of your direction is that you've made the films too shallow and focused on style over substance.

Ironically, I think this film has plenty of depth to it and philosophical moments/themes (I know many disagree), so it was strange to me to see him emphasize that when it's not really what the film was about. Of course, like he says, it was a collaboration between him and the writers (who were Trek fans and did like some of the more intellectual stuff) and they each brought their own perspective to the table and combined their talents to balance things out between more accessible action and more intellectual drama.
Old June 16 2013, 02:56 AM   #4252
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that itís philosophical. If you donít want philosophical Science Fiction, thereís plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trekís DNA, and if youíre given the captainís chair, youíd better damn well respect that.
Copy/pasting from the previous thread in which Wheaton's remarks were mentioned:
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
<snip>

JJ Abrams has admitted that he found Star Trek to be too philosophical for him. Wheaton remarked,

And then, one day later, Wheaton went on to say:
A lot of people have pointed out to me that, if you watch the entire JJ Abrams interview with Jon Stewart, he goes on to talk about how much he came to love Star Trek as an adult, and that the viewer is left with the impression that he truly gets what Star Trek is about.

I didnít watch the whole interview, but just saw the gifset that I reblogged. I stand by what I said: the whole point of Star Trek is that itís about more than aliens and robots and cool space battles. Star Trek is unique in science fiction ó certainly science fiction on television in the 1960s ó in that it was always about something more than phasers and transporters and Captain Kirk using his fists and his wits to defeat hostile aliens before he nailed the green alien lady of the week.

When I worked on JJís first Trek movie, I got the impression that he genuinely loved Star Trek, and really got what it was all about. I should have watched the entire interview before I pulled out my Jump To Conclusions mat, and I regret that I didnít. I hope anyone who was upset at me or drew the same erroneous conclusion I did understands that I care deeply about Star Trek, and sometimes my heart gets ahead of my brain where itís concerned.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 03:25 AM   #4253
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Because that one episode where Wesley gets sauced to the gills and commandeers the Enterprise is just oozing with profound wisdom and ideology...
Old June 16 2013, 04:40 AM   #4254
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
...saying "Star Trek was too thoughtful for me" (admittedly when he was a kid, but he's still talking about it now) is not really a great move when one of the primary fan criticisms of your direction is that you've made the films too shallow and focused on style over substance.
Yes, but Abrams isn't speaking to dedicated Star Trek fans. When he speaks to the mass media he's sensibly inviting non-fans to identify with him and to follow him along a rhetorical path. Orci, OTOH, dedicates a surprising amount of time to tracking down trekkies in their online gathering places and identifying himself as one of them.

In any case, fannish criticism of these films has proven to be impotent and of little consequence.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 05:10 AM   #4255
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Burton, Sirtis and the rest would love Abrams Trek if they were collecting pay checks from it.
Old June 16 2013, 05:37 AM   #4256
Amasov
Rear Admiral

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Amasov wrote: View Post

If you guys are interested, I filmed this at a recent convention here in Boston. Marina Sirtis and Levar Burton are talking about Into Darkness quite candidly.
Nice to hear them be a little critical of nuTrek, but to be fair, the TNG movies pretty much ditched the whole moral/social/philosophical aspect of trek as well.

They always tried to force more action into the TNG movies and it just didn't work most of the time. The cast wasn't meant for it.
That's what I don't understand. It's not as if all the Trek before them had the Roddenberry "vision" in there either.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:12 AM   #4257
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Yes, but Abrams isn't speaking to dedicated Star Trek fans. When he speaks to the mass media he's sensibly inviting non-fans to identify with him and to follow him along a rhetorical path. Orci, OTOH, dedicates a surprising amount of time to tracking down trekkies in their online gathering places and identifying himself as one of them.
Sounds sorta like good cop/bad cop.
Old June 16 2013, 07:48 AM   #4258
Ryan8bit
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Burton, Sirtis and the rest would love Abrams Trek if they were collecting pay checks from it.
I dunno, Sirtis and Frakes were pretty frank about some of their later film blunders. I'd imagine most of them understand that pretty well. And Burton initially praised the movie, despite these later criticisms. It's obvious that he enjoyed it on some level.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 10:32 AM   #4259
Devon
Fleet Captain

I lost a little respect for Burton when he made the absolutely misinformed and made-up remark that J.J. Abrams was telling people that his Star Trek was the "only" Star Trek. Ironic that someone who used to host "The Reading Rainbow" doesn't take time to read things that people have said.

Then the other day he declared that it wasn't "okay" with him that "Gene Roddenberry's Vision" [All Rights Reserved] was "missing." Okay LeVar, time to go back to your Reading Rainbow App now.
Old June 16 2013, 03:58 PM   #4260
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Ironic that someone who used to host "The Reading Rainbow" doesn't take time to read things that people have said.
To be fair, I'm sure the visor doesn't help.