RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,357
Posts: 5,355,387
Members: 24,625
Currently online: 550
Newest member: Saracuda

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 15 2013, 02:50 AM   #136
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Clarifying your question is not asking it again.
Yes, that's exactly what it is.
Ah, well there's the source of the misunderstanding then. You think that, if person B misunderstands a question from person A, person A musn't make any attempt to clear the misunderstanding lest he repeats his question. That's mistaken, of course, but at least now I have a good idea what went wrong, there.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 02:55 AM   #137
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Belz... wrote: View Post
Ah, well there's the source of the misunderstanding then. You think that, if person B misunderstands a question from person A, person A musn't make any attempt to clear the misunderstanding lest he repeats his question. That's mistaken, of course, but at least now I have a good idea what went wrong, there.
I don't have a problem with someone asking a second time to clear up a misunderstanding. But that's not what happened. You kept asking even after C.E. Evans answered your question. And you're denying it even though you know what you did.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:23 AM   #138
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
We're going to have to disagree on that. I think it looks like exactly what it is: a fan design that tries way too much to be cool.
What's wrong with a fan design? The Titan was a fan design if I remember correctly.

--Sran
Nothing wrong with fan designs. But the NX-1701-A is hideous.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:28 AM   #139
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nothing wrong with fan designs. But the NX-1701-A is hideous.
It's not my favorite either, but I've seen worse.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 08:57 AM   #140
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
We're going to have to disagree on that. I think it looks like exactly what it is: a fan design that tries way too much to be cool.
What's wrong with a fan design? The Titan was a fan design if I remember correctly.

--Sran
Nothing wrong with fan designs. But the NX-1701-A is hideous.
You may not like it--and even I would go for another design--but compared to others I've seen, it's not that bad.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 10:57 AM   #141
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Sran wrote: View Post
I don't have a problem with someone asking a second time to clear up a misunderstanding. But that's not what happened.
Oh, yes it is. Anyway, this misunderstanding has now been cleared to my satisfaction. Thanks. I consider the matter closed.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You may not like it--and even I would go for another design--but compared to others I've seen, it's not that bad.
I guess not everyone likes the same thing, right ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:51 PM   #142
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Sran wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Nothing wrong with fan designs. But the NX-1701-A is hideous.
It's not my favorite either, but I've seen worse.

--Sran
I've had my disagreements with Belz to be sure, but I am with the majority on this. It's not a very good design. I really dislike nacelle struts with curves, which is a big reason why I dislike the JJ Prise. The U-curves on the -D are OK, but when it's just an arc like this it comes across as "bow-legged", like someone left a plastic model in their car and it started to melt. The secondary hull is also too small and nonsensical. It looks like an ergonomic mouse or something.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 02:48 PM   #143
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Belz... wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You may not like it--and even I would go for another design--but compared to others I've seen, it's not that bad.
I guess not everyone likes the same thing, right ?
You get it! Yes!


What one person dislikes, another likes and vice-versa, so taste is a relative thing.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:55 PM   #144
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You get it! Yes!


What one person dislikes, another likes and vice-versa, so taste is a relative thing.
I guess it went right over your head, but my point was that you seem to have this compulsion to point out to people who are giving their opinion that it is, in fact, their opinion.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:58 PM   #145
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Belz... wrote: View Post
I guess it went right over your head, but my point was that you seem to have this compulsion to point out to people who are giving their opinion that it is, in fact, their opinion.
That's because people often tout their opinions as facts when they're nothing of the sort.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:13 PM   #146
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I guess it went right over your head, but my point was that you seem to have this compulsion to point out to people who are giving their opinion that it is, in fact, their opinion.
That's because people often tout their opinions as facts when they're nothing of the sort.
Exactly.

Belz, you make broad declarations such as "the design is hideous." If someone else doesn't think so, then they are well within their rights to disagree with you. I hope that didn't go right over your head.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 10:32 PM   #147
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I guess it went right over your head, but my point was that you seem to have this compulsion to point out to people who are giving their opinion that it is, in fact, their opinion.
That's because people often tout their opinions as facts when they're nothing of the sort.
Very true. One must be careful, however. Not everyone puts the "in my opinion" (or equivalent) in every post, so sometimes it may be hard to tell if they are simply expressing an opinion or projecting it onto objective reality.

CE Evans: Saying something is ugly is automatically a statement of opinion, so it's hard to believe you thought I was doing anything else. I, for one, am getting tired of writing "in my opinion" everywhere. So in the future, please assume that any aesthetic or qualitative statement is my opinion, and nothing else.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 10:48 PM   #148
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

Belz... wrote: View Post
CE Evans: Saying something is ugly is automatically a statement of opinion, so it's hard to believe you thought I was doing anything else.
You're wrong on both counts. There's a difference between stating something as an opinion and stating something as a fact. You tend to do the latter with your posts.
I, for one, am getting tired of writing "in my opinion" everywhere.
That's really too bad for you, because that's how other people know when someone's expressing an opinion.
So in the future, please assume that any aesthetic or qualitative statement is my opinion, and nothing else.

I'm not going to make a special case for you because you don't feel like expressing yourself clearly.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 10:50 PM   #149
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
CE Evans: Saying something is ugly is automatically a statement of opinion, so it's hard to believe you thought I was doing anything else.
You're wrong on both counts. There's a difference between stating something as an opinion and stating something as a fact. You tend to do the latter with your posts.
I, for one, am getting tired of writing "in my opinion" everywhere.
That's really too bad for you, because that's how other people know when someone's expressing an opinion.
So in the future, please assume that any aesthetic or qualitative statement is my opinion, and nothing else.

I'm not going to make a special case for you because you don't feel like expressing yourself clearly.
Don't be silly. He's right.

If someone says "This thing looks ugly" and you attack him for it because "he stated it as a fact", the fault lies with you, not him. It's obviously an opinion. By definition it's an opinion. If you want to play some weird version of a grammar nazi who looks for every statement of opinion that doesn't begin or end with "in my opinion" and then go "Yeah well you know that's just like your opinion man", it's your problem alone.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 10:51 PM   #150
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

At TrekBBS, all posters are cold posters.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.