Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 15 2013, 04:48 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: STID: 10 years later

Amusingly, some fans were saying Wrath of Khan was a Star Wars-ripoff popcorn action flick back in 1982 ("Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek", Best of Trek #7). And many fans were deeply disappointed in The Empire Strikes Back as well in 1980 (see here for one such example. Many old SW 'zines are scanned and online now expressing similar sentiment). Ultimately, only time will tell - although I for one know I'll enjoy Star Trek and Into Darkness for many years to come.
Old June 15 2013, 05:02 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Amusingly, some fans were saying Wrath of Khan was a Star Wars-ripoff popcorn action flick back in 1982 ("Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek", Best of Trek #7). And many fans were deeply disappointed in The Empire Strikes Back as well in 1980 (see here for one such example. Many old SW 'zines are scanned and online now expressing similar sentiment). Ultimately, only time will tell - although I for one know I'll enjoy Star Trek and Into Darkness for many years to come.
Seems like the more things change. From the "Best of Trek" article...

Best of Trek #7 wrote:
If, as the Star Trek constituency, we claim to cultivate a sense of the future, we must recognize Wrath of Khan as part of a contemporary phenomenon- the one-time, pay-for-thrills motion-picture show- that cannot last. In future, films will be integrated into home technologies as disks, cassettes, etc. and will be purchased on the basis of their multiple-viewing merits. Under those standards, STTMP will easily qualify for inclusion in home libraries; it will, in its way, be a forerunner of future "good movies". This is the Star Trek condition.
Sound familiar to anyone?
Old June 15 2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
Into Darkness is a disposable blockbuster film that will be forgotten in 10 years.
Whereas the likes of Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel will be forgotten in three or four.
So?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Roald
Commander

Very interesting! It proves that however STID is regarded in 10 years, it is impossible to base that on anything we know today...
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

I was ready to tear that The Empire Strikes Back reviewer a new one, albeit 33 years too late, for his wrongheaded opinion, but then he used the word "meretricious" in the opening sentence and I realized "I can't stay mad at you." Plus, he's probably dead from complications brought on by chronic rectal cranial inversion by now.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:56 PM   #21
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I was ready to tear that The Empire Strikes Back reviewer a new one, albeit 33 years too late, for his wrongheaded opinion, but then he used the word "meretricious" in the opening sentence and I realized "I can't stay mad at you."
Though he did misspell "definitely".

reviewer wrote:
the script was puerile in the extreme - are these supposed to be sophisticated, mature people talking?
Just imagine his reaction to the prequels. Hoo boy!
Old June 15 2013, 07:46 PM   #22
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Into Darkness is a disposable blockbuster film that will be forgotten in 10 years.
Whether or not it's remembered fondly at ten years' distance is one question.

But forgotten - in a fandom which is still energetically hashing over continuity issues in "The Alternative Factor" or bemoaning the indignity of 'horsie' scene in "Plato's Stepchildren"? I wonder.
Old June 15 2013, 07:54 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Whether or not it's remembered fondly at ten years' distance is one question.

But forgotten - in a fandom which is still energetically hashing over continuity issues in "The Alternative Factor" or bemoaning the indignity of 'horsie' scene in "Plato's Stepchildren"? I wonder.
This.

It's been twenty-five years since The Final Frontier and we're still discussing the validity of Spock having a half-brother.
Old June 15 2013, 08:00 PM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
What was a retread ? Apart from the Kirk death reversal scene ?
Are you kidding?

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Sran
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
By that standard, pretty much all of Star Trek has been a retread to one degree or another since Where No Man...
What?

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 08:08 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
What was a retread ? Apart from the Kirk death reversal scene ?
Are you kidding?

--Sran
What does it matter if they recycled a scene as long as they did it well? Which they did in my opinion.
Old June 15 2013, 08:11 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm honestly not sure any newer movie will be regarded as a classic the way Star Wars is now. New films, for all their awesome spectacle, are just too commonplace nowadays.

Even Avatar, the highest grossing movie of all time, probably won't stand the test of time. Does anybody even talk about Titanic or The Matrix anymore?
Old June 15 2013, 08:14 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm honestly not sure any newer movie will be regarded as a classic the way Star Wars is now. New films, for all their awesome spectacle, are just too commonplace nowadays.

Even Avatar, the highest grossing movie of all time, probably won't stand the test of time. Does anybody even talk about Titanic or The Matrix anymore?
I think long-running franchise films are a bit different though. We're still here talking about the Star Wars prequels and the Next Generation films.
Old June 15 2013, 08:18 PM   #29
RoJoHen
Awesome

BillJ wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

I think long-running franchise films are a bit different though. We're still here talking about the Star Wars prequels and the Next Generation films.
The only reason anybody still talks about the SW prequels is because of how shitty they were compared to the original Star Wars trilogy. If the OT didn't exist and we started with the PT, I guarantee nobody would be talking about them because they're just so damn forgettable.

As for TNG films, who exactly is still talking about them? We few nerds on a message board? They've hardly made an impact on the movie-going experience as a whole.
Old June 15 2013, 08:21 PM   #30
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

How can we say if something will be a classic in ten years time now? Unless somebody here is either a time traveler or a soothsayer there is no way to tell unless it's your own, subjective opinion.

As for mine, this has to be my favorite Trek movie next to TMP. So I will be enjoying it in 2113 and 2023!
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote