Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile
Re: British series approach?

I think that the fewer episode season would only be beneficial if the show is serialized, where it needs a tighter adherence to an ongoing story arc. Star Trek's episodic format has worked well for it from the beginning, and I don't see any reason to change it As for where it's filmed, or whether it is written/directed by Brits or Americans, that doesn't make any difference either, as long as the storytelling is good. I don't think it makes any sense to say that it would be better if it were made by British people, if it was Americans that made it great in the first place .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Crazyewok
Commander

Star Trek's episodic format is old though. Yes there is some room for it but alien of the week is just so well 1990's.

I would rather the TNG had cut half its forgetible alien of the weeks and focused on a few and expanded there role. Would loved to have seem more on the tamarians or the sheliak ect

And its nice to have some continuty between episoides even if its slight.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

I don't think anyone has said it would be better, just perhaps different. And different can be good.

As for serialised vs episodic, perhaps the DSN route of semi-serialised is the best of both worlds.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Crazyewok
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
As for serialised vs episodic, perhaps the DSN route of semi-serialised is the best of both worlds.
I agree with you there. A mix of both is the best way to go.
Old June 12 2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Star Trek's episodic format is old though. Yes there is some room for it but alien of the week is just so well 1990's.
Serialized doesn't automatically mean better. And episodic doesn't automatically mean "alien of the week."
Old June 12 2013, 06:10 PM   #21
Crazyewok
Commander

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Serialized doesn't automatically mean better. And episodic doesn't automatically mean "alien of the week."

It why im with the "mixed" approach.

I think the 4th seires (minus the final episode) of ENT had it nailed down pretty well.
Old June 13 2013, 01:12 AM   #22
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

How about a crossover mini-series with Doctor Who?
Please no. I love the sounds of ST even if they are noisy. I hate the noises of Dr.Who.. both their noises would make me explode in a wild rage that would be terrible to behold. (Sorry to all the Whodians whomight have been offended by this! I don't hate the show)

A British ST would be interesting though. Not sure about the short season thing.. I would love another TNG.. I would love for TNG to come back.. Mmmm TNG..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 02:11 AM   #23
Belz...
Fleet Captain

It why im with the "mixed" approach.

I think the 4th seires (minus the final episode) of ENT had it nailed down pretty well.
I think it was the best balance in any Trek series. Brilliant, and quite unfortunate that we didn't get a 5th season.
Old June 14 2013, 10:29 PM   #24
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
The why not go the cable route?
Why not indeed ? But I think CBS would rather the show air on its network. I might be wrong about that.
CBS itself would be the last place a new Trek series would ever be. It's the #1 US TV network with shows that are cheaper, easier to produce, and have broader appeal (bigger audience) than Trek does.
Old June 15 2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Probably the best cross-over we could hope for since Benny Hill is gone.

Ahh, to have been able to replace the little man Benny was always slapping on the back of the head with Sir Patrick Stewart!

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
CBS itself would be the last place a new Trek series would ever be. It's the #1 US TV network with shows that are cheaper, easier to produce, and have broader appeal (bigger audience) than Trek does.
Alternatives would be for CBS to put Star Trek on cable themselves, or to farm it out to someone else who would.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:30 PM   #26
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Alternatives would be for CBS to put Star Trek on cable themselves, or to farm it out to someone else who would.
I kind of doubt that CBS would ever farm a new Trek series out to someone else (I think they'd rather have full control and ownership of their TV properties), but I can definitely see it airing on a cable network, especially if CBS finally got around to getting a cable outlet like the other broadcast networks already have.
Old June 15 2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Iamnotspock
Captain

I'd actually like to see the British make Star Trek. They've done much better with Sherlock Holmes than American TV and films producers have been able to do these last few years.
Well, Holmes is intrinsically British. Trek is very much a part of American TV folklore.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

It'll never happen. Closest we got was in ENT when we had the TARDIS like ship.
Already done in a recent comic book (Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2).
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:16 PM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

^I did of course mean on TV.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:08 PM   #30
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

Of course in a British Sci-Fi show the Federation is a totalitarian empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_...Blake%27s_7%29

Sorry wrong show.
Sorry, citizen, I think you meant to say RIGHT show!!

As others have said, a British shorter season won't necessarily work for a US show. Advertising revenue on the commercial channels, isn't a really big issue, hence they're able to do shorter seasons such as crime dramas.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have the soaps that have 3 episodes a week, week-in-week-out, for eons!! Well, decades, it just seems like eons!!