Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 15 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Incredible inconsistency in "Concerning Flight"

Well, I'm being a little melodramatic in the title, but bear with me.

After the aliens transport Voyager's stuff, including the computer core, Paris says, "It feels like we just got mugged."

How would he know what it feels like to get mugged? I thought the Federation was a post-scarcity utopia where they didn't have money, much less wallets or criminals.

It really stood out for me because I think that even now "mug" in the meaning of being robbed on the street is passing out of American English. I remember hearing the word a lot in the 1980s, but don't remember the last time I saw it in print or heard it in conversation.

I guess you could rationalize that Paris, as a student of the 1950s, used archaic slang, but then why would he expect anyone to understand him?

Also, if anyone here goes into television production, a humble word of advice. If you've got a heavyset actor, and he's wearing a long white beard...don't dress him in red. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Incredible inconsistency in "Concerning Flight"

Shatnertage wrote: View Post
I guess you could rationalize that Paris, as a student of the 1950s, used archaic slang, but then why would he expect anyone to understand him?.
Remember that he's serving with several former Maquis. I suspect they know what it's like to be mugged having dealt with Cardassians so often.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Crazyewok
Commander

Ditto what Sran said.

You got remember as well he was a outlaw. He most likley had been to the border worlds of the Federation that are not so fine and dandy.

We only really know that earth is a "Upotia" Other members of the federation could be a little less pleasent.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

So when they're doing their Maquis thing they're going around carrying wallets and other personal possessions that people could mug them of? Obviously, there's still violence in this period, but would it really be the kind of urban crime that we call mugging?

Old June 15 2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Crazyewok
Commander

So when they're doing their Maquis thing they're going around carrying wallets and other personal possessions that people could mug them of? Obviously, there's still violence in this period, but would it really be the kind of urban crime that we call mugging?
If your on some forgotton border coloney full of ferangi and other less than pleasent people then yes it would fit.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Post scarcity is a load of crap. If your fleet connected or a politico life is great, that we see, we don't get to see much else though.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Sran
Fleet Captain

It might. Recall that Nog was arrested in "Emissary" because he was involved in the theft of several items.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Lonemagpie
Writer

Inconsistency is Voyager's middle name

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Sran
Fleet Captain

^Bad writing.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Brit
Captain

I think you can imagine what being mugged might feel like so long as you understood the word, being right or wrong in that assumption could be a problem because a lot of people imagine what it feels like to be stabbed and they usually get that wrong too. So Paris being familiar with twentieth century idiom probably knows the word well enough to use it. I don't know if anyone else would actually understand it or not, it really doesn't make a lot of difference, you can say a lot of things in the heat of the moment.

I've always thought of Trek as using some kind of evolved English and the dialogue we hear is a simple translation of that evolved English and in light of that understanding mugged would not be a inconsistency but rather a translation of another 24th century slang word.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 08:00 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

How would he know what it feels like to get mugged? I thought the Federation was a post- scarcity utopia where they didn't have money, much less wallets or criminals.
I can't believe that anyone would happily choose to volunteer as a waiter in Daddy Sisko's resteraunt, or as the guy in the background vacuuming Starfleet Academy in Wrath of Khan. There must be some kind of compensation for doing these things. And if there is, there is something worth stealing.

Plus, Trip and Malcolm were mugged on Risa in ENT: "Two Days and Two Nights". No one said anything about Earth.
Old June 15 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

"Hey let's knock over those Federation bums with their high tech medkits, tricorders and comm badges!"
Old June 15 2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Quark almost mugged Harry in the pilot.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Sran
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
How would he know what it feels like to get mugged? I thought the Federation was a post- scarcity utopia where they didn't have money, much less wallets or criminals.
I can't believe that anyone would happily choose to volunteer as a waiter in Daddy Sisko's resteraunt, or as the guy in the background vacuuming Starfleet Academy in Wrath of Khan. There must be some kind of compensation for doing these things. And if there is, there is something worth stealing.
I'd guess people who work at Joseph Sisko's restaurant get free food whenever they want. Yum!

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote:
Plus, Trip and Malcolm were mugged on Risa in ENT: "Two Days and Two Nights". No one said anything about Earth.
Different time period, but your point is well taken.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

So even after humanity can master FTL travel, they won't be able to stamp out street crime. So much for Roddenberry's optimistic future.