Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 15 2009, 05:28 PM   #511
Jean-Luc Picard
Lieutenant

Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

Nice quote - I hadn't thought of it that way. In that sense, the music does fit in on a thematic level; I'm not a very musical person (love listening to it, just can't play it to save my life), so the symbolism you were using it to portray probably just went straight over my head.
Old May 11 2009, 08:50 PM   #512
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

I read ASD while on a six-hour train journey last Friday (*sigh*) and loved every word of it. It provided a suitably succinct, but not superficial, overview of the post-Destiny AQ. Sonek Pran was an interesting character; his style of speech is "classic KRAD" but his introduction and his background during the Dominion War led me to expect early on that something bad would happen to him or someone close to him during the story (though I expected it to happen to his son rather than his wife).

The humour of the novel made me snigger (in a repressed-Englishman-on-a-train kind of way) but I burst out laughing at the "hip deep in Borg" line. Well if Dan and Jeremy can show up in AOTF, why can't someone channel Dana in ASD?
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 11:28 AM   #513
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

^ Hee hee. Thanks muchly!

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:29 AM   #514
Charles Phipps
Commander

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...ny-review.html

Here's my review of A Singular Destiny. I really enjoyed the book but, sadly, felt the Typhon Pact was missing a central bad guy to wrap around. It'd never fly in the novels as long as Martok is head of the group but I would have loved to have seen the Klingons heading it up.
Old June 15 2013, 02:02 PM   #515
Christopher
Writer

^But having "a central bad guy" would defeat the whole storytelling purpose behind the Typhon Pact. They're not supposed to be a monolithic big bad, but a tenuous alliance of factions that are pursuing conflicting agendas and jockeying for dominance, with some having more aggressive designs and others being more moderate. The idea was not so much to create an enemy for the Federation as to establish a competitor, an alternative superpower, and to parallel the turbulent beginnings of the Federation itself, the events of the Enterprise era where the future members of the Federation were initially mortal enemies who had to struggle to learn cooperation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 02:07 PM   #516
Charles Phipps
Commander

I took it as creating something of a 'new Klingon' for the modern era in that they were a complex, multifaceted, almost Soviet like collection of people with unpleasant feelings towards the Federation but something that would (probably) never actually get to open war.

I tend to think of them as a central bad guy simply because of their anti-democratic, xenophobic, and (mostly) oppressive totalitarian ways. Believe me, I get the irony that by teaming up they're going to start eroding a lot of their xenophobia and darker qualities by nature of being forced to cooperate.

Which is quite clever.
Old June 15 2013, 02:43 PM   #517
Christopher
Writer

^The analogy was not to the Soviets, but to more recent history, the post-superpower era. Back when the US and the USSR were treating the world as their personal chessboard, the other nations of the world often resented being used as pawns and being at the mercy of the two 800-pound gorillas. Once the USSR went away, those nations still weren't too happy about America being the exclusive superpower and throwing its weight around unilaterally. But these days there are more challenges to America's political, technological, and economic dominance, coming from places like China, India, and the European Union. Not necessarily enemies, just nations asserting their right to control their own fates rather than being at the mercy of a superpower. Star Trek has always tried to reflect developments in the real world, and the Federation has usually been a surrogate for the United States. So it, like the US, is now finding itself having to adjust to the fact that it isn't the sole superpower in its world, that it won't necessarily have the power to shape the course of history all by itself but will have to share the stage with other powers that have different ideologies and priorities.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:34 PM   #518
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Thanks for the review! I'm particularly glad that the vedek's sermon toward the end moved you as it did, and ditto that you got the point of Sonek Pran: someone who believes first and foremost in the power of talking your way out of problems. (I've had the makings of that character in my head for years, to wit, someone with absolutely no physical skills whatsoever, but whose "super power" is the ability to talk through stuff superlatively.)

As Christopher said, what editor Marco Palmieri and I were going for with the creation of the Typhon Pact was the exact opposite of what you were looking for.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 12:54 AM   #519
Charles Phipps
Commander

KRAD wrote: View Post
As Christopher said, what editor Marco Palmieri and I were going for with the creation of the Typhon Pact was the exact opposite of what you were looking for.
Yeah, I get that. Then again, I'm the sort of guy who enjoys EVIL.