New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 15 2013, 11:51 AM   #16
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: An interesting anecdote about two days ago...

So some people have other things in their lives to do than watching films or TV shows. A big surprise.

nuTrek 2009 made 250 million in the US. Average ticket price in 2009 was $7.50, so roughly 33.3 million tickets were sold. And a lot of fans have seen the film multiple times. So roughly 10% of the population went to see the film. Right, only ONE OUT OF TEN American citizens has seen Abramstrek in the US. In other words for everyone who has seen the film you meet NINE people who haven't. The chance of meeting someone who doesn't know who Captain Kirk is is a lot greater than the chance of meeting someone who does.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:06 PM   #17
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
So some people have other things in their lives to do than watching films or TV shows. A big surprise.

nuTrek 2009 made 250 million in the US. [blah blah] The chance of meeting someone who doesn't know who Captain Kirk is is a lot greater than the chance of meeting someone who does.
It's just a little anecdote, you can come down off your high horses now.

Dear GOD what is wrong with you people! You and R Star, take a fucking chill pill! And that is such stupid logic that I'm surprise you don't get a headache.

You don't need to watch Star Trek to know who bloody Captain Kirk is. Most people - even non Trek fans - will know him. I've never watched the Incredible Hulk, but I know the green fella is.

Which is why the original post works. It's strange that someone doesn't know who he is.

The fact that you resort to maths to even try and prove 9 out of 10 people don't know a cultural icon from the last 50 years is embarrassing.
Old June 15 2013, 12:09 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
The fact that you resort to maths to even try and prove 9 out of 10 people don't know a cultural icon from the last 50 years is embarrassing.
Embarrasing? It's just the way it is. Not everyone knows the "icon", and that's perfectly fine.

The people on the high horses are those who chuckle or find it strange when someone doesn't know their "icon".

Entertainment (and pop culture) is indeed a big bubble, but it's still a bubble, and there are A LOT of people who are not in it.

Last edited by JarodRussell; June 15 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old June 15 2013, 12:46 PM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I suppose it's possible that some people will give you blank stares when you mention the name "Captain Kirk." But even non-Trekkies know that Mr. Spock is some guy with pointed ears.

I think I've mentioned this before, but there was the time I was having a diagnostic imaging procedure and I happened to be wearing a red shirt. The patient ahead of me and the technician were also wearing red shirts. I looked at the three of us and said, "Well, I guess one of us is going to die in the next fifteen minutes."

Both of them got the reference. But then this is L.A., where half the population has something to do with the film and TV industry, so you won't find too many Trek-illiterates here.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I share my name with a couple of celebrities, so they get the top spots.

I've had customers named Mel Gibson, Fidel Castro and Gene Simmons.
I once sold some model kits to a guy named James Taylor. (Not the one who sings.) But then, according to the latest census, there are more than 14,000 James Taylors in the U.S.
Old June 15 2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I was surprised to discover that our next-door neighbors had no idea who "Yoda" was, which was startling. I mean, I like to think I have a pretty good sense of perspective where such things are concerned. I don't expect non-fannish types to know who "Aeryn Sun" or "Odo" or "Zatanna" are, but Yoda? He's on lunchboxes, paper plates, and greeting cards for Obi-Wan's sake! I thought Yoda was mainstream.

Then again, my girlfriend's mom had no idea who "Mr. Spock" was, even after I showed her a photo of Nimoy with the ears. And my mom thought that "Smallville" was a show about little people. (Really!)

(On the other side of the coin, I recently got into a discussion of Doc Savage with the receptionist at the vet's office. That startled me, too!)
Old June 15 2013, 04:20 PM   #21
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Re. the DC anecdote: Those of us posting in an online forum about a sci-fi show probably have little understanding of the world kids grow up in, in extreme poverty, what they know and don't know. A friend did a mission year on west side of Chicago. Kids there didn't know they were near Lake Michigan.
Old June 15 2013, 04:24 PM   #22
Sran
Fleet Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
Re. the DC anecdote: Those of us posting in an online forum about a sci-fi show probably have little understanding of the world kids grow up in, in extreme poverty, what they know and don't know. A friend did a mission year on west side of Chicago. Kids there didn't know they were near Lake Michigan.
That doesn't surprise me. Children living in poverty are often extremely limited in what they're able to experience because their family may not have the means to expose them to an environment other than the one they live in. Now, I'd like to believe that technology has helped people overcome some of these limitations, but technology costs money to use and maintain, and if money is an issue for many of these families, it's not surprising- but no less tragic- that many children grow up ignorant of the world around them.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 09:30 PM   #23
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Metryq wrote: View Post
Hmm. I wonder if the old guy's name is Han? (He shot first)
Old June 15 2013, 09:35 PM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain

^

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 10:49 PM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't expect non-fannish types to know who "Aeryn Sun" or "Odo" or "Zatanna" are, but Yoda? He's on lunchboxes, paper plates, and greeting cards for Obi-Wan's sake! I thought Yoda was mainstream.
There might as well be just as many things on greeting cards and lunchboxes that "everyone knows" but that you don't know either.
Old June 15 2013, 11:26 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't expect non-fannish types to know who "Aeryn Sun" or "Odo" or "Zatanna" are, but Yoda? He's on lunchboxes, paper plates, and greeting cards for Obi-Wan's sake! I thought Yoda was mainstream.
There might as well be just as many things on greeting cards and lunchboxes that "everyone knows" but that you don't know either.
Oh, certainly, especially where sports are concerned. Still, I figured "Yoda" was pretty mainstream, so that even if (amazingly) you'd never seen a STAR WARS movie, you'd probably have kids or grandkids who were into the toys and games and such, and would have picked up some of this stuff by osmosis. So that, at the very least, running into someone who is unfamiliar with STAR WARS is rather more surprising than running into someone who has never heard of, say, DEEP SPACE NINE or THE 4400 . . .

On a practical level, it's probably safe to assume that you don't have to explain who "Darth Vader" is when talking to the average person. Unlike, say, Professor Quatermass or Hawkman.
Old June 16 2013, 01:31 AM   #27
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
I remember this...

And my mom thought that "Smallville" was a show about little people. (Really!)
lol
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 01:41 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I've mentioned this before.. my oldest friend has zero idea who any of these people are or what any of these franchises are. Yoda, Spock, she has absorbed none of it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 02:00 AM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Embarrasing? It's just the way it is. Not everyone knows the "icon", and that's perfectly fine.

The people on the high horses are those who chuckle or find it strange when someone doesn't know their "icon".

Entertainment (and pop culture) is indeed a big bubble, but it's still a bubble, and there are A LOT of people who are not in it.
Yeah, I gotta agree. As I said before, not everyone's going to like the same things. You tend to assimilate information you either like or is important to you in someway. For a lot of people it simply isn't Captain Kirk. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a bit high horsed in itself to assume everyone should know about what -you- like, even if you're in the majority... which let's face it, us Trek fans aren't.

I find it a bit surprising I'm being told to take a "chill pill" in the same post that contains phrases like, what is wrong with you people, stupid logic, embarrassing oh and described the chill pill with the adjective fucking. Though I suppose you could be going for irony points there.
Old June 16 2013, 02:07 AM   #30
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I was driving one day, and saw a dude on the sidewalk wearing coveralls, a bright red, long sleeved shirt and matching bright red hat. I said outloud "Was that Super Mario?" Naturally, the person I was with had no idea who that was.

I'd thought that everyone had at least heard of Super Mario.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote