RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,683
Posts: 5,212,954
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 875
Newest member: JMSmith97


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 14 2013, 07:01 AM   #226
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

^

__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 09:07 AM   #227
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Emh wrote: View Post
Holy shit, that's inspired! I would love to see Peter Dinklage as Avon. Too bad he'll be tied up as Tyrion Lannister for the next decade.
Well I don't read the books (and only just started watching S3) so I have no idea how long Tyrion will be around for (and I don't want to know ). I don't think they'd cast him anyway for B7, I just hope they cast someone like him.

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
I agree the part should go to whoever is best for it, but I absolutely believe that if an American was cast as The Doctor or James Bond for that matter, Brits would go apeshit. You absolutely wouldn't hear the end of it, from the tabloids on down, if Moffat and Co. announced tomorrow that the actor was chosen and it happened to be an American. The gnashing of teeth would be epic. There are already some Bristish fans saying that DW is trying too hard to cater to the American market as it is. An American doctor with a British accent would blow their minds. The apocalypse would be nigh.

For my part, I think the actor cast should be British but if I was in charge of it, I would cast my net as far as possible. The thing about British TV and film is that the acting pool is rather small, which is why ITV and BBC dramas have the same actors over and over. There's really nothing wrong with finding an American no-name actor who can do a flawless British accent if he happens to be a better fit than these other guys.
Plenty of iconic British characters have been played by Americans (just take Robin Hood) and I'm a great believer that you should hire the best person for the job, irrespective of actual nationality--take Renée Zellweger who's superb as Bridget Jones.

My only condition should be that they play the character as British, if an American actor can convince me he's English/Scottish etc then I have no problem with an American being Bond, or the Doctor. Lazenby is Austrailian and Brosnan is Irish so an American Bond isn't that much of a stretch. Hell I used to want Desnisof to be the next Bond after Brosnan.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
^

Humour is a difficult concept I got it though, and it was funny
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:39 AM   #228
sttngfan1701d
Commodore
 
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

[QUOTE=Starkers;8245870]
Emh wrote: View Post
Plenty of iconic British characters have been played by Americans (just take Robin Hood) and I'm a great believer that you should hire the best person for the job, irrespective of actual nationality--take Renée Zellweger who's superb as Bridget Jones.

My only condition should be that they play the character as British, if an American actor can convince me he's English/Scottish etc then I have no problem with an American being Bond, or the Doctor.
While I think your opinion would be in the minority amongst your countrymen, I agree and I think if someone other than British was cast, a British accent is a must. We don't want another Kevin Costner American Robin Hood on our hands. (though I have a soft spot for that movie....one of my absolute favorites from my childhood).
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:45 AM   #229
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Oh I have a soft spot for Prince of Thieves too, love that film.

Remember Daniel Craig is as English as they come yet large numbers of people were apoplectic over his casting. Shamefully I was amongst their numbers but boy did DC ever prove me wrong, and I learned my lesson. Whoever’s the new Doctor I will reserve judgement until I actually see them in action. They could hire Pee Wee Herman and I’d give him a chance…
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 05:39 PM   #230
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain
 
PorthosShadow's Avatar
 
Location: Hermans Head
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Starkers wrote: View Post
Oh I have a soft spot for Prince of Thieves too, love that film.

Remember Daniel Craig is as English as they come yet large numbers of people were apoplectic over his casting. Shamefully I was amongst their numbers but boy did DC ever prove me wrong, and I learned my lesson. Whoever’s the new Doctor I will reserve judgement until I actually see them in action. They could hire Pee Wee Herman and I’d give him a chance…
No joke here but Paul Reubens is a very good actor but unfortunately he will always be seen as Pee-Wee Herman and little else. Sometimes for better or for worse a role will stick to actor no matter how hard they try to run from it.
__________________
"India must be the future because we all know there are no neck ties in the future and everyone can do math"
PorthosShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 06:35 PM   #231
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

As more than one Doctor actor has found...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 06:48 PM   #232
chelly
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

NOt sure if people would approve of Peewee herman as the Doctor espeically after his little incident a while back. I can't see people really wanting him as a role model for kids. I don't think it was the worst thing in the world but still.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 07:18 PM   #233
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

chelly wrote: View Post
NOt sure if people would approve of Peewee herman as the Doctor espeically after his little incident a while back. I can't see people really wanting him as a role model for kids. I don't think it was the worst thing in the world but still.
The guy masturbated in a porn cinema more than twenty years ago, maybe it's time to cut him some slack for that horrible crime.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 08:22 PM   #234
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
chelly wrote: View Post
NOt sure if people would approve of Peewee herman as the Doctor espeically after his little incident a while back. I can't see people really wanting him as a role model for kids. I don't think it was the worst thing in the world but still.
The guy masturbated in a porn cinema more than twenty years ago, maybe it's time to cut him some slack for that horrible crime.
Oh, sure, but The Doctor is a Children's Icon, and no one is likely to hire someoone with that in their past for the role of a Children's Icon
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 08:28 PM   #235
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander
 
Chrono85's Avatar
 
Location: USA
View Chrono85's Twitter Profile
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

I don't really want to judge, but I'm pretty sure that Russel Brand has done far worse than that .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 08:43 PM   #236
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I don't really want to judge, but I'm pretty sure that Russel Brand has done far worse than that .
That's good to hear, his name being floated didn't give me any happier thoughts than PeeWee
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:59 AM   #237
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain
 
PorthosShadow's Avatar
 
Location: Hermans Head
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I don't really want to judge, but I'm pretty sure that Russel Brand has done far worse than that .
That's good to hear, his name being floated didn't give me any happier thoughts than PeeWee
Those two guys could have been interesting guest stars during RTD's era.
__________________
"India must be the future because we all know there are no neck ties in the future and everyone can do math"
PorthosShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:41 PM   #238
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

After Tennant, seeing the Doctor hopping about saying "I fucked your granddaughter" wouldn't seem that much of a departure.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 08:51 PM   #239
Wereghost
Someone's dog
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

^ To be fair, it was Jonathan Ross who made the infamous quip (even if it was about Brand and on Brand's radio show, and addressed to the girl's grandfather).
__________________
"Sooner or later we're all someone's dog."
Terry Pratchett
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 09:48 PM   #240
TedShatner10
Commodore
 
TedShatner10's Avatar
 
Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Alan Davies, I hope there's a slim chance that he'd get the role.
__________________
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.