Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 15 2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Sran
Fleet Captain

Why No Romulan Ships?

My question refers to the lack of Romulan ships seen orbiting Deep Space 9 during the Dominion War aside from episodes intended to feature the Romulans. Given the distance between Romulan territory and Cardassian space, would it not have made sense to station more vessels in the vicinity of DS9? One could argue that the ships are under cloak and therefore not visible, but that seems more like a cop-out than an actual explanation.

I suspect the off-camera reason has to do with not needing to produce new screenshots with warbirds in them, but I have a hard time believing it would have been that costly to produce few generic shots and then sprinkle them throughout any remaining episodes. Thoughts?

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Why No Romulan Ships?

Even though the real-world explanation is probably most true, I just don't see the Romulans hangin' out with everyone on DS9, leaving their ships parked uncloaked, etc.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Sran
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
Even though the real-world explanation is probably most true, I just don't see the Romulans hangin' out with everyone on DS9, leaving their ships parked uncloaked, etc.
I'd agree it's not their style, but to see almost no ships after the formation of the alliance doesn't much sense. OTOH, Admiral Ross made several references to the Romulans fighting on a different front, which suggests that they were coordinating attacks and missions largely on their own.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 03:43 AM   #4
dub
Captain

I imagine the producers' response would be "there's always a cloaked Romulan ship nearby, especially when Romulans aren't prominent in the episode."
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Sran
Fleet Captain

^All the more reason to show the occasional ship cloaking or decloaking. Knowing the ships are there but not being able to see them adds to the intimidation factor.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Jono
Rear Admiral

Why would there be Romulan ships on patrol around DS9? The station is already defended and the Ninth Fleet with Klingon and Starfleet forces seemed to be based out of there given how often Martok was around. The station didn't seem to be at risk since the initial attacks of the war and even after several months after it was recaptured the Dominion never threatened it again, so why would the Romulan waste their ships there?

The start of season 7 we hear the Romulans aren't using the station for medical needs instead going to their own space. We do hear of Romulan ships been at DS9 later in the season and there are concerns about shore leave for the crews due to the Klingons on the station. This with the also mentioned slowness to get to the Romulan ships in the same episode would make DS9 a less attractive option to visit. Given these things it isn't that surprising we see so little of the Romulans at DS9, apart from major joint operations
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore

It was more of an alliance of convenience for the Romulans. They weren't all buddy-buddy with the Feds like the Klingons were. So there was no reason to have their ships around DS9. Even after the war was over, Nemesis showed that the Romulans pretty much went back to doing their own thing.
Old June 15 2013, 09:00 AM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Given the fact the Romulans took over Derna, a Bajoran moon, and armed it under the pretense of being a hospital, Bajor easily could've declared them persona non grata for the most part.
Old June 15 2013, 02:08 PM   #9
diankra
Commodore

Space is big. Even a solar system. The Romulans could have had a designated rendezvous area within the Bajor system that was a few seconds away from DS9 at warp, yet so far away that they only showed up as a pixel on our screens.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Crazyewok
Commander

To be honnest I doubt the Romulans would want to get involved in joint operations unless absolutly nessary especialy when it involves klingons and likewise I think the klingons would want a large distance between them and Romulans.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:08 AM   #11
doctorfoto
Commodore

Much of the answer to this can be found in the opening scene of Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges, where during a meeting there is a debate between Worf and Romulan Senator Cretak about the priority of Klingon ships on the station's repair schedule over the Romulan's. It clearly states that Romulan ships were needing repairs by the station and were ultimately assigned O'Brien's repair crew and placement in the docking rings. In addition, Odo voices concern that the Klingons and Romulans were not to use the station for shore leave at the same time. The Romulans were there, despite the lack of effects shots.
doctorfoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:36 AM   #12
TheSubCommander
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
Given the fact the Romulans took over Derna, a Bajoran moon, and armed it under the pretense of being a hospital, Bajor easily could've declared them persona non grata for the most part.
This!

And, I think given the prominence of the Klingons on DS9, that is the reason Romulans werenot around that station. Plus, the Romulans usually were suspicious of everyone else, so they likely were fighting on their own on a different front.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I don't know about in-universe, but a lot of the writers from TNG and DS9 didn't particularly like using the Romulans - the Cardassians were created in TNG because of this dislike.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 05:49 PM   #14
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps the Romulan's weren't interested in joint operations unless absolutly necessary. The Federations and Klingons had been on friendly terms for the most part decades, the Romulan's didn't have that same level of trust.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:23 PM   #15
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

I agree with the cloaked theory. In a lot of Romulan episodes, in DS9 and TNG, they don't uncloak until they want to be seen.