RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,359
Posts: 5,446,083
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 426
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 14 2013, 11:39 PM   #46
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Except that ships in ST always travel at the speed of plot. Travel time has never been a remotely reliable indicator of distance. Hell, three movies later it took them less than half an hour to reach the center of the galaxy. Even if we ignore that (yes, please, let's ignore that), in the sixth movie it doesn't take long at all for the Enterprise to get from Earth to the Klingon border and for the arrested Kirk and McCoy to subsequently be taken to Kronos (one assumes) for trial and then shipped to Rura Penthe. So by those standards, a 3-day journey could represent a pretty significant distance.
Yes, let's ignore the trip to the center of the galaxy in TFF.

In any event, if we're to believe the various maps floating around the internet, a number of them depict Earth as being near the border between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, with Klingon space located only a short distance into the Beta Quadrant. Depending on whether the map is based on twenty third or twenty fourth century boundaries, the Klingon Neutral Zone separates Klingon space from Federation space. Romulan space is just "north" of Klingon space and is also separated from the Federation by the Neutral Zone.

I'm inclined to believe the arrangements of the three powers relative to one another given the events of TUC and The Next Generation. Camp Khitomer was located near the Romulan border, and the numerous skirmishes between the Klingons and Romulans in TNG suggest that the two species were Beta Quadrant neighbors.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:13 AM   #47
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

I'm just curious, because I haven't read a lot of Trek novels.

But in a typical story when traveling over long distances, does it say something like "time passes"? Or is there enough dialog and incidental action to cover whatever amount of time it takes to get wherever they're going?

Does the passage of time occur in a chapter break?

Just trying to get a handle on something here.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:26 AM   #48
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

^Depends on the novel and the situation. Sometimes, if it's plot-relevant, the travel time will be mentioned in dialogue or narration, at least broadly. Some authors in some books use date headings at the start of scenes or chapters, though that's hardly universal.

But you don't spend time on the journey itself unless there's something story-significant going on during it. That's what they call "walking to the plot," and it's a storytelling faux pas. It can be useful to spend the time establishing necessary character relationships or tensions, or to include a briefing to give necessary exposition (though that can certainly be overdone too), but only if you need it.

Anyway, scene breaks work in prose the same way they work in film -- the audience understands that there's supposed to be a passage of time between them, unless it's just switching POVs during the same sequence of events.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:30 AM   #49
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

^There are a couple of Trek authors who routinely include dates in their chapter headings, but that's because many of their stories alternate between the novel's present-day and a previous period of time.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:13 AM   #50
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Christopher wrote: View Post
I get that in principle, and it's the reason I'm able to enjoy the Abrams films despite their plot and logic holes. But this film is one I don't enjoy that much, for a variety of reasons.
This is where that darn human thing called subjectivity comes in I suppose. Where I find Star Trek II awesome, I'm not so excited about the JJ films, especially this most recent one.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I feel it damaged the franchise by replacing the intelligent, plausible science fiction that Roddenberry aspired to (but often fell short of achieving) with cartoony melodrama and overblown action. I find it too violent and bloody for my tastes, yet at the same time extremely sluggish in pacing (and I'm saying this as someone who likes ST:TMP).
Well this is also debatable, but my guess would be another film like TMP would have killed the franchise. And overblown action? Would you not concede that JJ's films rely just as much if not more on action than TWOK? And how did you feel about this new movie lifting line after line from TWOK? Did you not find that terribly corny? Face-palm worthy, even? I only ask because you say you enjoy the JJ films more than TWOK.

Christopher wrote: View Post
It wasn't just "dramatic," it was over-the-top, corny melodrama, like everything else that passes for dramatic in the film (Kirk's "KHAAAAAAANNNN!!!" is the most embarrassingly corny moment in the history of the franchise).
It was so embarrassingly corny that JJ re-used it in the new film, giving the line to SPOCK of all people! If it's corny in its original form, what on earth did you think when you heard it in the new film? You were still able to enjoy it more than TWOK??

Anyway, to me that line and Shatner's delivery is a classic Kirk and classic Shatner moment. Honestly, TOS has corny and melodramatic moments at every turn. How is any corny or melodramatic moment in TWOK a deviation from TOS?

Christopher wrote: View Post
The original goal behind Star Trek was to approach science fiction as maturely and naturalistically as any cop show or courtroom drama or medical drama of the day -- to get away from the exaggeration and corniness and broad caricatures of previous SFTV and do a show that was about believable human beings doing jobs that just happened to be in outer space in the future...I think that betrays the original intention behind the franchise. It might be a fun film in its way, but it's not a believable film, either on a technical level or a character level, and that's a failure to live up to the original goals of the series.
So then, I guess TOS betrays the original intention as well because it was certainly full of all kinds of exaggeration, corniness and broad caricatures, and many ideas that were definitely not believable. But there was certainly truth and intelligent commentary there as well. And it was entertaining. And I love it! And TWOK lives up to all of that as well. And while there may be plot holes which can be debated (as with all films, really) and technical ideas like genesis which are not explainable today and may never be, it certainly was a believable story to me, and definitely believable on a character level. Truly classic Trek on the big screen if you ask me.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I wrote:
I believe Kirk said "I've never faced death. Not like this." In a sense, every death we face is different...
I think that's bending over backwards to justify a line that doesn't really add up. Again, it's a matter of believability -- I can't believe that Kirk would feel that way about it, that he'd dismiss all the other terrible tragedies he's been through as if they never happened.
That's because Kirk wouldn't dismiss his past tragedies. He didn't. He said "not like this." By adding that, he's actually acknowledging past tragedies and revealing that this one is different to him. A very real, honest moment and clever writing. Absolutely believable and human.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:21 AM   #51
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Christopher wrote: View Post
How come Khan's followers, who were multiethnic adults when they were stranded 15 (or 18) years earlier, are now a bunch of blond Nazi-recruiting-poster types in their 20s?
Perhaps most of Khan's people had died off at that point, and those were their children.

Why did the Ceti eel just leave Chekov instead of killing him, which according to Khan was the inevitable result?
Perhaps the eel somehow sensed that its 'brother' had died (when Terrell shot himself) and thus was a bit in distress.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:25 AM   #52
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Perhaps most of Khan's people had died off at that point, and those were their children.
Yet they look nothing like their parents.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote:
Perhaps the eel somehow sensed that its 'brother' had died (when Terrell shot himself) and thus was a bit in distress.
That's what I think. Why else would it try to escape just moments after the other eel had died? It's possible Chekov was able to resist enough to dislodge it, too. Too bad Kirk was waiting for it with a phaser as soon as it left Chekov's ear.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:04 AM   #53
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

dub wrote: View Post
Well this is also debatable, but my guess would be another film like TMP would have killed the franchise.
I think that's a question of expectations, though. Ever since Star Wars, we've been conditioned to expect that SF films are supposed to be action movies, and TMP seems a failure when viewed through that filter. But TMP was a legacy of an era from before SW, an era when SF films were often more contemplative, adult-oriented, thoughtful pieces like 2001 or Soylent Green or Silent Running. If ST had stayed in that vein, it might not have been as big at the box office, but it might've still retained an audience and gotten more critical respect.


And overblown action? Would you not concede that JJ's films rely just as much if not more on action than TWOK? And how did you feel about this new movie lifting line after line from TWOK? Did you not find that terribly corny? Face-palm worthy, even? I only ask because you say you enjoy the JJ films more than TWOK.
I don't want to dissect them point-by-point. There are things I like and things I dislike in both Abrams films (and yes, I certainly think the "KHAAAAAANNNN!!!!" homage was stupid and annoying), but I find that the total package is more agreeable to me. There are things to like and dislike in TWOK too, but there's just too much that turns me off, especially the bloodsoaked violence, Meyer's aggressive anti-futurism, and what to me is very slow pacing that leaches the energy out of much of the film. I can't break it down into a comparison of specific attributes or moments in the different films, because it's not about the specifics, it's about the aggregate, the final result. And as you say, it's subjective. There's no arguing over taste.


Anyway, to me that line and Shatner's delivery is a classic Kirk and classic Shatner moment. Honestly, TOS has corny and melodramatic moments at every turn. How is any corny or melodramatic moment in TWOK a deviation from TOS?
As I said, it's about intent. TOS may have fallen short of its naturalistic ambitions at times, especially in the third season, but what it was meant to be was a deliberate reaction against the melodrama and caricature of previous SFTV, a more mature take on science fiction than what had existed on television before. And that's what it succeeded at being at its best. It seems natural to me to hold up the best of the show as what its successors should aspire to.

I also disagree with the popular perception that "classic Shatner" means hamming it up. That's the reputation he's gained mainly because of his performance in the movies and later in his career when he was basically parodying himself. But early Shatner, the Shatner of the first season or two of TOS and before, was a much more understated and naturalistic actor. The kind of performance he became known for later was not representative of the best he was capable of, and again, I don't see the point of choosing to aspire to less than the best.


So then, I guess TOS betrays the original intention as well because it was certainly full of all kinds of exaggeration, corniness and broad caricatures, and many ideas that were definitely not believable.
We all fall short of our aspirations. But at least we try. That's the difference. TWOK was deliberately aiming for a lower standard of naturalism, for a more broad and exaggerated take. I can forgive falling short of a high aspiration more readily than I can forgive setting one's aspirations low to begin with.


That's because Kirk wouldn't dismiss his past tragedies. He didn't. He said "not like this." By adding that, he's actually acknowledging past tragedies and revealing that this one is different to him.
I've heard that argument before and I have never, ever bought it. It's a flimsy rationalization. "Not like this" was an afterthought, not remotely enough to salvage the line. What he actually, explicitly said was "I've never faced death," and that is absolutely a nonsensical thing for James Kirk to say, even with a qualification. Even aside from all the personal tragedies, he was always portrayed as a captain who was deeply affected by the death of any crewmember under his command. The idea that he's never before faced a no-win scenario is just not believable to me.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Stardate
Fleet Captain
 
Stardate's Avatar
 
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Here is my thoughts on this. It is just sloppy writing and they really didnt have understanding how space and science work so the writers are in fault here. Planet dont just blow up without a trace and chance the orbit of another planet. My 2 cent is that Reliant was scouting/science ship. They mission was to find earthlike moon or earth sise planet that was 100% DEAD for Genesis project. Just watch this scene with Chekov and Reliant captain with Carol Marcus. They had found a planet that they thought was suitable but senors detects lifeform in just one area in the entire planet.
However Dr. Marcus demanded them to go and check it out. Here is my beef. Ceti Alpha 5 was living M-class planet with millions if not billions lifeforms and all dies and vanish within 20 years except Khan and his merry men. I find it hard to believe. Life dosent end so quickly. Ceti Alpha in my opinion shouldn't never been consider as suitable planet for Genesis project cause despite changing the orbit and affect of explosion laying waste. There should still be plenty evidence of life still on Ceti Alpha 5(Khan planet).
__________________
Star Trek change everything, and aren't this convention wonderful: William Shatner

Last edited by Stardate; June 15 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Stardate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:05 PM   #55
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Stardate wrote: View Post
However Dr. Marcus demanded them to go and check it out. Here is my beef. Ceti Alpha 5 was living M-class planet with millions if not billions lifeforms and all dies and vanish within 20 years except Khan and his merry men. I find it hard to believe. Life dosent end so quickly. Ceti Alpha in my opinion shouldn't never been consider as suitable planet for Genesis project cause despite changing the orbit and affect of explosion laying waste. There should still be plenty evidence of life still on Ceti Alpha 5(Khan planet).
You're missing an important detail: they thought the planet was the Ceti Alpha VI, a lifeless planet in the same system. They didn't realize it was Ceti Alpha V until they found the Botany Bay. That's why Marcus wanted them to check out the planet and see if it could be used for the Genesis experiment. Terrell hoped that whatever life they detected could be moved to another planet's ecosystem so that it wouldn't be affected by the Genesis wave if the device were used.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:19 PM   #56
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

^The point Stardate was making is that they shouldn't have mistaken Ceti Alpha V for the lifeless Ceti Alpha VI in the first place, because it's implausible that an inhabited, Earthlike planet could be so thoroughly stripped of life by a planetary disaster. Even in the worst mass extinctions in Earth's history, life has survived, and the oceans have survived.

Not to mention that Ceti Alpha V clearly still had an oxygen atmosphere, since the robes Khan and his people wore outside were hardly airtight or pressurized. And anyone who knows the first thing about atmospheric chemistry knows that molecular oxygen is too reactive to remain present in a planet's atmosphere for long unless there's something to replenish it, and the only known thing that can do that is life. An oxygen atmosphere is a dead giveaway that a planet is inhabited. So there's no way in hell they could've mistaken Ceti Alpha V for another, totally lifeless planet. It never should've even been a candidate.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:29 PM   #57
Stardate
Fleet Captain
 
Stardate's Avatar
 
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Yeah that was my point. Thanks Chris The slugs proves that there was still life on Ceti Alpha 5. If they could survive why not other life forms as well.
__________________
Star Trek change everything, and aren't this convention wonderful: William Shatner
Stardate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:40 PM   #58
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^The point Stardate was making is that they shouldn't have mistaken Ceti Alpha V for the lifeless Ceti Alpha VI in the first place, because it's implausible that an inhabited, Earthlike planet could be so thoroughly stripped of life by a planetary disaster. Even in the worst mass extinctions in Earth's history, life has survived, and the oceans have survived.

Not to mention that Ceti Alpha V clearly still had an oxygen atmosphere, since the robes Khan and his people wore outside were hardly airtight or pressurized. And anyone who knows the first thing about atmospheric chemistry knows that molecular oxygen is too reactive to remain present in a planet's atmosphere for long unless there's something to replenish it, and the only known thing that can do that is life. An oxygen atmosphere is a dead giveaway that a planet is inhabited. So there's no way in hell they could've mistaken Ceti Alpha V for another, totally lifeless planet. It never should've even been a candidate.
My mistake.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:46 PM   #59
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

There was an explanation in one of the Vanguard novels (Storming Heaven, I think) as to why Ceti Alpha VI exploded. I don't remember if they subsequently explained how the fifth planet could then be mistaken for the sixth, though.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 07:07 PM   #60
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Has anyone else noticed the major plot flaw in TWOK?

As the Reliant was the first ship to do a close range inspection/examination of the system and its planets, it is possible that the audience is meant to assume they believed the fifth planet of the previous long range scan was the one that blew up, and initial appearance of the planet still present matched the long range scan. It's quick and dirty, but it makes sense on a storytelling level.

I've long understood the Ceti Alpha system to have many more than six planets, as well. And to Christopher, who said that the system was actually the one we have named Alpha Ceti; Says who? As far back as TOS, they probably wanted to avoid such disparities as the one you cited, and thus changed the name. No one ever said system names had to be alphabetical within the name itself, so Ceti Alpha is different than Alpha Ceti. Different name, different system.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star trek ii, twok

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.