RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,702
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 738
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 14 2013, 09:00 PM   #76
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

R. Star wrote: View Post
I'd hope instead of doing a reboot of TNG or a reboot of TOS's reboot, they'd just come up with something original set in the Trek universe. Give us something we haven't seen before instead of just a facelift on something we have.
Unfortunately there has to be a connection with the audience, and I don't think most casual audience members would care about stuff elsewhere in the Trek universe.

Think of it this way: do you think a movie about another double-0 agent in the Bond universe could be viable in the same way as the 007 movies are, and do you think MGM wuold take that chance ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:06 PM   #77
Stephen!
Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
Think of it this way: do you think a movie about another double-0 agent in the Bond universe could be viable in the same way as the 007 movies are, and do you think MGM wuold take that chance ?
The riskier the road, the greater the profit.
- Rule of Acquisition #62
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 11:06 PM   #78
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'd hope instead of doing a reboot of TNG or a reboot of TOS's reboot, they'd just come up with something original set in the Trek universe. Give us something we haven't seen before instead of just a facelift on something we have.
Unfortunately there has to be a connection with the audience, and I don't think most casual audience members would care about stuff elsewhere in the Trek universe.
That didn't stop them from doing DS9 and VOY, both of which were spinoffs of TNG. Indeed, the very nature of a TV spinoff is the doing of stuff elsewhere in an already established universe or setting. In fact, two of CBS' top-rated current shows--NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles--are spinoffs of the earlier TV series, JAG.
As with all movies, it depends on the pitch and whether it appeals to the studio heads. If it's one that they like and feel can expand the franchise, yeah, they'll go for it. But I think in such a situation, the point will be made that the character isn't James Bond and will concentrate on an aspect of his universe that has rarely been seen.
Old June 14 2013, 11:15 PM   #79
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah that sounds almost as radical as making a series set a 100 years later than the original series with a french captain with a british accent. Good thing they never tried that, no one would realize it's not Captain Kirk and it certainly wouldn't have gotten the highest ratings of the franchise.

And yes, for the record I loved the brief mentions of other 00 agents that we too rarely got in the Bond franchise. I loved the concept of Alec Trevelyan the first time I watched Goldeneye's teaser. Thinking outside the box is a good thing. I'd love a movie about a snide, sarcastic agent who thinks 007 is a boorish oaf who gives them a bad name.
Old June 15 2013, 12:45 AM   #80
Belz...
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
That didn't stop them from doing DS9 and VOY
Oh, absolutely. But you have to admit that this was in an era where Trek was a bit different: you already had a spin-off on the air, and quite a bit of ratings...

...and yet look what it got them ? Both DS9 and VOY lost viewers progressively.

[Yeah that sounds almost as radical as making a series set a 100 years later than the original series with a french captain with a british accent. Good thing they never tried that, no one would realize it's not Captain Kirk and it certainly wouldn't have gotten the highest ratings of the franchise.
I'm not saying it can't work. But you have to stop thinking of what you'd like to see and think of it from the studio's perspective. The last three Trek series didn't bring in viewers like TNG did. And when you say "Star Trek", non-fans usually only think of Kirk and Spock. So again, I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it's far less likely.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 15 2013, 01:04 AM   #81
Third Nacelle
Captain

^By that logic, no new series would ever get made. That's like saying they wouldn't make Mad Men because nobody's ever heard of Donald Draper.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:19 AM   #82
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

That didn't stop them from doing DS9 and VOY
Oh, absolutely. But you have to admit that this was in an era where Trek was a bit different: you already had a spin-off on the air, and quite a bit of ratings...
Actually, that's why spinoffs of existing TV shows are made.
...and yet look what it got them ? Both DS9 and VOY lost viewers progressively.
Which says nothing about why they were made in the first place. Heck, every new TV show is made on the hope of being a success with viewers rather than an absolute guarantee.
Old June 15 2013, 02:30 AM   #83
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
^By that logic, no new series would ever get made.
You're correct, of course. But in Trek's case, they already have bankable characters. It's just a matter of probability; as I already said, it's possible.

Which says nothing about why they were made in the first place.
Of course. I'm simply speculating that CBS might be looking at the previous results and them factoring into a decision not to do it.

Old June 15 2013, 02:39 AM   #84
Sran
Fleet Captain

Of course. I'm simply speculating that CBS might be looking at the previous results and them factoring into a decision not to do it.
Different time period. It's been twelve years since Voyager ended its run and fourteen since DS9 wrapped up. If CBS were to go for a new series, it would probably take a couple of years to put together a cast, script episodes, etc. Enough time has passed that a new series could attract new viewers in addition to any left over from older series.

Of course, any series that does poorly is going to lose viewers over time. But the beauty of Star Trek is that there's always another canvas to paint on. It's time someone reached for a brush.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 08:45 AM   #85
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
Different time period. It's been twelve years since Voyager ended its run and fourteen since DS9 wrapped up. If CBS were to go for a new series, it would probably take a couple of years to put together a cast, script episodes, etc. Enough time has passed that a new series could attract new viewers in addition to any left over from older series.
I couldn't have said it better.

I think the only things CBS would be looking at in regards to a new Trek series is the potential it has and how much it would cost to make.
Old June 15 2013, 10:58 AM   #86
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
If CBS were to go for a new series, it would probably take a couple of years to put together a cast, script episodes, etc. Enough time has passed that a new series could attract new viewers in addition to any left over from older series.
Well, I hope you're right. Right now a new series doesn't seem on the horizon at all.

Old June 15 2013, 01:33 PM   #87
mos6507
Commander

do you think a movie about another double-0 agent in the Bond universe could be viable in the same way as the 007 movies are, and do you think MGM wuold take that chance ?
Nobody's ever tried, whereas there HAVE been successful Trek spinoffs with different crews, at least successful enough to last longer than the original.

My feeling is that it's not the concept that makes this work, it's the writing. In a thread like this, the "abundance of ideas" rests solely on evaluating the premise. Great writing can take almost anything and make it must-watch TV, just as bad writing can sink any and all attempts to keep flogging Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Brand-association only goes so far.

Just think of what's popular on TV lately (albeit cable). A show about zombies, for instance. Who would think a show about zombies would be viewed as anything but guilty-pleasure schlock? Or a fantasy show (Game of Thrones)? It's all in the writing.

You simply can not tell merely by evaluating the premise whether a show will work. It might skew the odds one way or the other, but great writing will always be the determining factor.
Old June 15 2013, 03:58 PM   #88
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I agree with you entirely, which might be a first.

Old June 15 2013, 04:16 PM   #89
Sran
Fleet Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
You simply can not tell merely by evaluating the premise whether a show will work. It might skew the odds one way or the other, but great writing will always be the determining factor.
Agree completely with this. As much as audiences claim to love action scenes in television, most people still strongly prefer series that are well-written to those that are more flashy but have less developed characters and plots. Explosions and cool battle sequences will carry a series only so far before it starts to sputter because those story elements aren't sustainable.

Not every episode can feature a protracted space battle or ground assault. Even fictional concepts need to have some basis in reality for a given show to be something that its viewers can relate to. I would guess that only a small percentage of the population can relate to constantly fighting for one's life, so a TV show showcasing this type of plot over and over again isn't likely to do well.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 04:44 PM   #90
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

From another thread...

BillJ wrote: View Post
johnjm22 wrote: View Post
The overly advanced technology would certainly be a problem, but there's a creative solution to everything. And really, where else can Trek go? Rehashes and variations on old ideas don't seem appealing at all.
Whether its Kirk and Spock or Van Dyke and Rangar, it's all just rehashes and variations of the core concepts.