Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 14 2013, 09:21 AM   #16
The Haunting
Admiral

Re: Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
"you're gonna have to pay $25 for the next Iron Man, you're probably only going to have to pay $7 to see Lincoln."
As others have said, I can actually see the reverse being true...

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:59 AM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Just out of interest what do people pay in the US for cinema ticket these days?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:49 PM   #18
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The last time I went I paid $10 per person for a matinee rate for Into Darkness (3D). The theater didn't have a 2D option and I didn't know that going in.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

They are already experimenting with $50 tickets:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...wo-days-early/
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 03:33 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
They're always predicting this. Every time some big-budget expected blockbuster tanks (i.e., Last Action Hero, Waterworld, John Carter), a bunch of Very Wise People -- industry analysts, film scholars, or in this case a pair of high-profile director/producers, ironically the same two who got the snowball rolling 40 years ago with Jaws, Star Wars, and Close Encounters -- come along and talk about how the model is unsustainable and exhibition methods will change, and you'll see more inexpensively-produced indies come to the fore... and it never really happens.
Exactly. What they're saying now is along the same lines as what was said 36 years ago when Star Wars and Close Encounters "mad movies fun again". This is nothing new.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 03:50 PM   #21
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

No one will ever pay $25 for a movie when stealing it is so much easier. Even if DVD and disc and owning it goes up to $40 a movie, no one will spend insane amounts to see a movie, it's just stupid.

But they really need to rein in the spending. You want to know where the money goes? Towards hiring hundreds of crew members to sit around for two weeks as you close downtown Rochester NY to film two damn scenes. I watched for hours and they never filmed anything.

Also in 1982 very few people had VSRs to play movies on, so yeah movies stayed in theaters longer.
Old June 14 2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
(Meanwhile, a name like Steven Soderbergh with Michael Douglas and Matt Damon as talent, can't seem to secure funding for theatrical release).
...in America. Behind the Candelabra is having a theatrical run here in Ireland and probably elsewhere. Not sure what the story is behind that, possibly the deal with HBO was only for American TV?
In Australia as well in a few weeks.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore

My family normally go to the cinema on a Saturday morning - it's almost empty and it's about £7 each - £21 is plenty to pay to see a film. I just wouldn't pay more.

I only go to see big budget special effects type blockbusters anyway - they're the only thing that makes the outlay worthwhile. I watched the Moonrise Kingdom Bluray last week on my 46'' HD TV. I really enjoyed it but it absolutely would not have benefited from being seen in a cinema.

The Bluray cost £5.
Old June 14 2013, 05:20 PM   #24
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Well, at least in my city, theaters are dwindling. In the city limits there are currently two movie theaters: one is small "art house" type theater, the other offers "second run" films. Ten years age there were three or four times the number of available screens in this town showing movies.

Many of the smaller independant theaters that are still left at this point are struggling to keep up. The second run theater I mentioned above just recently, and barely, managed to raise the money needed to convert to digital equipment so they can remain in business past this year (or is it next year that it all changes over?).

Personally, I am motivated less and less to schep all the way to a crowded theater full of noisy a-holes to see a film. I can just wait a couple months and see it in the comfort of my own home and watch it at a time of my choosing.
Old June 14 2013, 08:01 PM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

If they'd stop paying any hotshot that had 1 successful film 20+ million dollars, budgets would be pretty moderate. These are actors, directors and producers, for crying out loud. They entertain, they don't save lives. Then they would also be able to properly pay those who are really doing the important jobs nowadays: VFX people.

Any time the movie industry, or big sport industries like football, complain about their financial situation, I laugh out loud.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 08:07 PM   #26
sojourner
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
It all really depends on whether or not theatres can "up the ante" when 3D TVs become ubiquitous. If they can't, in turn, make IMAX much more accessible, something will have to change.
This may never happen. As a sign of how poorly the 3d tv industry is doing, The channel ESPN3d is not going to be 3d anymore. If a sports channel, with the huge built in audience that sports has, can't make it work, I doubt many other channels will try.
Old June 14 2013, 08:32 PM   #27
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
When I was living off the coast there were two theaters, one tiny one playing garbage was $10.75 I think. (I never went) and the new $26 million dollar theatre was $13, plus a fee of $1.75 if you bought the ticket online, but you had to buy the ticket online as they were never open.
Old June 14 2013, 09:30 PM   #28
jayceee
Commander

On the same topic, a recent article by another movie producer (Lynda Obst) lamenting how Hollywood is today. She recently wrote an entire book about this.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/seg...34441ea50001d8
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion..._content=Books
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:20 PM   #29
jayceee
Commander

^

A recent lecture by Lynda Obst. (It's about an hour long).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79NqUm1t68
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 10:48 PM   #30
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If they'd stop paying any hotshot that had 1 successful film 20+ million dollars, budgets would be pretty moderate. These are actors, directors and producers, for crying out loud. They entertain, they don't save lives. Then they would also be able to properly pay those who are really doing the important jobs nowadays: VFX people.

Any time the movie industry, or big sport industries like football, complain about their financial situation, I laugh out loud.
Indeed.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote