RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,707
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 869
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 13 2013, 11:05 AM   #46
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Game of Thrones (book/show) newbie (please no spoilers!)

Mark Addy is far from perfect. Robert was a demigod amongst men. Tall, strong, handsome, etc. Yes he went to seed, yes he was fat and well past his prime, but in no world was Mark Addy's Robert ever the Robert Baratheon who won the war swinging his enormous warhammer one handed and charming every girl who crossed his path. Likewise, Renly suffered for being just as unimpressive. I never believed for a moment that anyone would follow either of them into battle.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:17 PM   #47
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Mark Addy's performance was pretty much dead-on how I imagined Robert while reading. The Renly actor was adequate, not especially memorable but not woefully miscast either.

One of the most far off is actually Peter Dinklage. He's far too handsome and charismatic to play Tyrion. Supposed to be ugly and gross in manner.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:10 PM   #48
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Sansa is playing her real age. She's just tall and you're just creepy.
Per episode 3.08, she's supposed to be 14, so Turner's now 2-3 years older than her character.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:50 PM   #49
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Mark Addy is far from perfect. Robert was a demigod amongst men. Tall, strong, handsome, etc. Yes he went to seed, yes he was fat and well past his prime, but in no world was Mark Addy's Robert ever the Robert Baratheon who won the war swinging his enormous warhammer one handed and charming every girl who crossed his path. Likewise, Renly suffered for being just as unimpressive. I never believed for a moment that anyone would follow either of them into battle.
I haven't seen Renly on screen yet (still just seen the first episode!) but in the book he's described as the most handsome man Sansa had ever seen, and looking at the pics of the actor online... I guess she hadn't seen that many men.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:03 PM   #50
Shanndee
Commodore

I just finished page 304 (Sansa). I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how faithful an adaption season one has proven to be. I know I am at a very early stage, but kudos to the producers of the tv series!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:54 PM   #51
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Season 1 is very, very faithful. The only change that angers me is the lack of The Hound's big scene.

Seasons 2 and 3 are way less faithful and remind me of Peter Jackson's The Two Towers in how needless a lot of the changes/diversions seem to be.
Old June 14 2013, 02:54 AM   #52
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I am really pissed off.

Foxtel (Australia's cable TV service) has worked a deal with HBO to stop iTunes users being able to pay for and download each episodes the day after it airs in Australia. From season 4, if Australians want to legally look at GoT close to the day it airs, we have to have an Foxtel subscription which is $47 for the basic package and another $25 for the movie channels so we can get HBO.

I am not doing that not even for 10 episodes of GoT. I will have to wait for it on DVD.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 06:58 AM   #53
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Season 1 is very, very faithful. The only change that angers me is the lack of The Hound's big scene.

Seasons 2 and 3 are way less faithful and remind me of Peter Jackson's The Two Towers in how needless a lot of the changes/diversions seem to be.
Season 3 is a lot more faithful to the book than season 2 was. Most of the characters end up in the right places, and in some cases entire scenes are lifted straight from the page, dialogue and all.
Old June 14 2013, 10:01 AM   #54
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Season 2 is definitely the least faithful, I'd agree. They cut a lot of my favourite parts and changed plotlines beyond recognition.
Old June 14 2013, 05:02 PM   #55
Shanndee
Commodore

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I am really pissed off.

Foxtel (Australia's cable TV service) has worked a deal with HBO to stop iTunes users being able to pay for and download each episodes the day after it airs in Australia. From season 4, if Australians want to legally look at GoT close to the day it airs, we have to have an Foxtel subscription which is $47 for the basic package and another $25 for the movie channels so we can get HBO.

I am not doing that not even for 10 episodes of GoT. I will have to wait for it on DVD.
Oh, that sucks! I'm sorry you will have to wait so long...but at least with the DVD set you will be able to watch as many as you want without interruption (she says hopefully, trying to find a positive spin).

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Old June 14 2013, 07:35 PM   #56
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I am really pissed off.

Oh, that sucks! I'm sorry you will have to wait so long...but at least with the DVD set you will be able to watch as many as you want without interruption (she says hopefully, trying to find a positive spin).
Sure she can, in a year.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:07 AM   #57
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

It actually look like iTunes will be allowed to offer all ten 10 episodes of a season the day after the last episode as aired on HBO.

How is the show aired in the USA? Do you have to watch it on HBO or can you legally stream it soon after it has aired on TV? Are cable rates as expensive as they are in Australia?
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:59 PM   #58
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
One of the most far off is actually Peter Dinklage. He's far too handsome and charismatic to play Tyrion. Supposed to be ugly and gross in manner.
He may be supposed to be ugly - but, really, it can be argued that him being a dwarf is enough to be considered ugly; it's not like anyone mocks him or thinks of him mainly as a guy with an ugly face, they call the Imp because he's a dwarf. Being ugly wouldn't make him a freak anyway, I'm sure they have lots of ugly guys, being a dwarf is his main characteristic.

However, I don't know where you're getting the "gross in manner" thing. I'm 200 pages in and Tyrion is really smart, funny and charming, and one of the least gross-behaved people in the book. (And the book sure has its fair share of gross people, starting at the top with the shithead prince and his mom and the even shittier wannabe king.) Isn't he supposed to be someone who has the mind and other non-physical qualities as a contrast to his appearance?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 05:30 PM   #59
Shanndee
Commodore

I'm with you DevilEyes. I am on page 445 and I find Tyrion the most funny, charming and smart character thus far. All of those are very attractive qualities, not gross.

(but I guess he is referring to Tyrion"s mismatched eyes and heavy brow ridge)

Miss Chicken, I'll have a closer look at my cable bill and let you know about Canadian pricing. I have this payment on automatic withdrawal so I don't think about it much!

Old June 16 2013, 03:27 AM   #60
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Likable to readers doesn't mean likable within the story. A lot of Tyrion's humor, and his taste in associates, is too crass for the society in which he operates; it's not just his appearance that makes people shy away from him. He's really rather sneering and insinuating. Because the reader is in Tyrion's head and on his side, it's less obvious, but an awful lot of his funny lines are not actually appropriate things to say to people if you care about being liked. Which he doesn't, because he's decided no one is going to like him no matter how polite he is.