Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 14 2013, 11:46 AM   #481
Faria
Lieutenant

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Turbolifts do take up space, but so does everything else. Space is not at a premium on a starship, there's plenty of extra room.
i would not waste space in a ship with a saucer section of 128 meters which had to host more than 420 persons
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 12:03 PM   #482
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Faria wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
turbolift are a waste of space
So are bridges and bedrooms.

Hwo would you have them move about ? Stairs ? Transporters ?
stairs and corridors and normal lift, like today's ship (some are bigger than tos enterspise)
Yet none are as bizarrely shaped as the Enterprise. Getting from the shuttlebay to the bridge with only vertical lifts would require three or four elevator journies (two in the neck alone, owing to its angle) and a walk of about 200 meters. Not very good in an emergency situation!

Weird shaped ships need weird ways to get through them.
Old June 14 2013, 12:56 PM   #483
Faria
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
[
stairs and corridors and normal lift, like today's ship (some are bigger than tos enterspise)
Yet none are as bizarrely shaped as the Enterprise. Getting from the shuttlebay to the bridge with only vertical lifts would require three or four elevator journies (two in the neck alone, owing to its angle) and a walk of about 200 meters. Not very good in an emergency situation!

Weird shaped ships need weird ways to get through them.[/QUOTE]

solution: reduce neck angle
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 01:12 PM   #484
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Another thing that irritates me about TNG is synthehol and the almost sneery attitude that people have to alcohol.
If you came from a family of abusive alcoholics, you would find TNG's "sneery" attitude quite correct. Despite the fact that their attitude wasn't "sneery" at all.
No disrespect intended, but if you came from a family of abusive alcoholics and it was 1920, you probably would have thought the Eighteenth Amendment was a wonderful idea. It wasn't.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Turbolifts do take up space, but so does everything else. Space is not at a premium on a starship, there's plenty of extra room.
Space is at a premium on any enclosed vessel that has to support X number of human (or humanoid) beings within a finite volume, whether it's an aircraft carrier, a submarine, or a starship.

Last edited by Brown-Eyed Ghoul; June 14 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Brown-Eyed Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 01:25 PM   #485
MacLeod
Admiral

they both have no sense
That doesn't really answer the question.
turbolift are a waste of space; emotionless alien are senseless because, well, i don't know how to explain it, it's more for internal coherence (vulcans seems to have emotions )
Well there is an entire thread in trek tech about turbolifts.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214087

Some argue the space would be better utilised by instead of wasting space by having turbolifts, wasting space by having coridoors in their place. Yet like artifical gravity the turbolift network is very robust. And instead of the seconds it might take someone to get somehwere to say repair a compenant before it blows via turbolift, they would have to run their maybe taking minutes by which time it's too late.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 01:35 PM   #486
yousirname
Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
No disrespect intended, but if you came from a family of abusive alcoholics and it was 1920, you probably would have thought the Eighteenth Amendment was a wonderful idea. It wasn't.
I don't see how Prohibition's failure is relevant to the issue.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 03:17 PM   #487
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

scotpens wrote: View Post
Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Another thing that irritates me about TNG is synthehol and the almost sneery attitude that people have to alcohol.
If you came from a family of abusive alcoholics, you would find TNG's "sneery" attitude quite correct. Despite the fact that their attitude wasn't "sneery" at all.
I did, and you're right about the eighteenth amendment. but put yourself in place place. If you were a disabled man (I am) and were beaten by a drunken brother (I was), you wouldn't want booze around you either. It's one of the reasons I don't drink and never will.

Of course, my brother (and other drunken relatives) also abused me verbally, but despite the fact that that was a hell of alot easier to defend against, it hurt just as much.

No, I understand that there are people who can handle alcohol and that's fine, but with my personal experience, I don't want it around me, and think that Synthehol would be a good thing (if it actually existed, that is).
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:47 AM   #488
Belz...
Fleet Captain

turbolift are a waste of space
So are bridges and bedrooms.

How would you have them move about ? Stairs ? Transporters ?
Why are regular lifts not silly and turbolifts silly ? I still have no clue why you keep saying that.

solution: reduce neck angle
A solution to a non-problem. Seriously, you'd change the design of the entire ship just to avoid using turbolifts ?

This reminds me of the Magic the Gathering player who told me the worst thing ever to happen to the game was the change in typeface for the cards.
Old June 15 2013, 12:51 AM   #489
Sran
Fleet Captain

Why are regular lifts not silly and turbolifts silly ? I still have no clue why you keep saying that.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 01:16 AM   #490
marksound
Fleet Captain

If there were no turbolifts there would have to be stairwells. Imagine how long it would have taken Spock to carry Kirk and McCoy up the stairs to deck 78.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:17 AM   #491
Sran
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
If there were no turbolifts there would have to be stairwells. Imagine how long it would have taken Spock to carry Kirk and McCoy up the stairs to deck 78.
Imagine how funny it would have been seeing him use the rocket boosters to zoom through the stairwells.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 02:06 AM   #492
nightwind1
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well there is an entire thread in trek tech about turbolifts.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214087
Started by the same poster whose arguing against them in this thread.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 02:28 AM   #493
Sran
Fleet Captain

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Started by the same poster whose arguing against them in this thread.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 06:24 AM   #494
robau
Lieutenant Commander

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Maybe the fedration worlds purposely but all there douche bags on one ship to get them as far away as possible for a long time and hopefully get blown us!

Thats why they have there family on board too. Get rid of all of em haha
That could certainly explain that grating pomposity that most of the crew tend to exhibit at least occasionally.

As someone who has very little patience with the preachiness of TNG, I have to admit I never thought they were being preachy about alcohol, simply stating that they had a similar tasting beverage without the intoxicating effects. Essentially, they just finally got near-beer right.
That makes no sense to me. The only reason to put up with the taste of beer is for the intoxication.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:20 PM   #495
Crazyewok
Commander

Actually it make 100% sense to have no real alcohol on a star ship.
I mean you dont want the crew to go off duty to a party get pissed then a borg ships appears?

Anyway I though synthahol did have intoxicating effects but they went rather quickly. So rather than knocking back beers and then waiting hours before you can drive. You can still knock those beers back then wait 30mins then drive!
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote