Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 13 2013, 06:03 PM   #31
newtontomato539
Commander

Re: Is TAS worth watching in my complete Star Trek marathon?

Watch it. Watch it now. It's Star Trek.

There are also the Alan Dean Foster novelizations, Power Records/Peter Pan records, 25th Anniversary CD Rom game and Judgement Rites CD ROM game.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:49 PM   #32
SpHeRe31459
Captain

To the OP, yes I think TAS is worth watching at least once. There are only 22 episodes and they're only ~25mins a piece. They're available on Netflix, so if you're a Netflix subscriber you don't have to even have to worry about possibly feeling like you wasted money on buying the DVDs if you don't like it that much.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Hopefully, they will finish the TAS Blu-ray set soon.
Is this actively being worked on? Beyond some speculation a few months ago I've not heard anything about a TAS BD project. I really hope it's coming - I'll be there day and date!
It's based on something Robert Meyer Burnett (producer of the TNG Blu-ray sets) said in an off-hand remark. As I recall it was simply his own wish list of projects he'd like to see tackled. He clarified that somewhere (I think in a tweet?) a while back.

EDIT: Found it.
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/01/exc...ans-are-afoot/

UPDATE: Robert has been in touch with TrekCore and asked us to clarify that his comments on an Animated Series Blu-Ray release were just his opinion and assumptions. He has no first hand knowledge that CBS plans to release the series, he just hopes it to be the case one day.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; June 13 2013 at 09:09 PM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:20 AM   #33
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Oddly my Trekkie children can't stand TAS. I think it's because of the animation. They laugh a lot. They dig all other Trek incl. TOS.
Old June 14 2013, 02:54 AM   #34
Kail
Commodore

Check out my TAS website here...http://www.startrekanimated.com

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 03:10 AM   #35
Tulin
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Cannon doesn't (or shouldn't) matter. A Star Trek story is a Star Trek story, no matter where it comes from.

Yes, watch it. You will find it better than anything being made currently. Yes, I know people will disagree with that statement, but I don't give a damn.
Not me.

The sooner Jar Jar and his hack posse move on, the better.

We waited FOUR YEARS for that SHIT?!?
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 07:08 PM   #36
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
I have finished watching all of TNG, DS9, and Voy, and I'm almost done with season one in TOS. After TOS, should I include The Animated Series, in your opinion? I've never actually seen any episodes of TAS before, but I've seen all the episodes of all of the other series. Am I really missing anything if I skip TAS?
Yes, you would be missing something essential.

The series took itself seriously (more often than not), and as noted by others, was the post-TOS production to use the most talents from TOS. Even the movie period cannot boast that. It is the natrual progression of where ST would have gone if it lasted two additional seasons, as the famiiar concepts and character exchange are as authentic to TOS as one could hope for.

TAS feels like real ST--not a slapped-together spin-off designed to cash in on a property. It is no surprise adults watched the series, along with children, since they did not diseegard it as a mistake, or somehow being anything other than genuine Star Trek.
Old June 14 2013, 08:42 PM   #37
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I watched through it once, I can't say I'm too terribly inclined to revisit it. The material was alright, and there were a couple really good episodes, but for the most part the 70's cartoon setting just rubbed me the wrong way.

Everyone's going to have their own opinion... M'Ress for example never did anything for me... so give it a chance either way. You'll have a pretty good opinion after 2-3 episodes if you want to go through the rest of it.
Old June 14 2013, 10:48 PM   #38
USS Firefly
Commander

I've stopped watching it after 9 or 10 episode's, In my opinion it was terrible.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:05 AM   #39
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

I enjoy TAS. I don't consider anything in it not referenced elsewhere from it canon however.

The fact it was made in the 70's in a similar style always makes me half-expect that maybe this time through The Scooby Doo gang and the Harlem Globetrotters might make an appearance;

"It wasn't the Klingons, it was Old Man Wilkins!"

Last edited by Kevman7987; June 15 2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Carcazoid pointed out something that I forgot to remove when I was originally typing it
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:20 AM   #40
marksound
Fleet Captain

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
I enjoy TAS. I don't consider anything in it not referenced elsewhere from it canon however.

The fact it was by Filmation and made in the 70's always makes me half-expect that maybe this time through The Scooby Doo gang and the Harlem Globetrotters might make an appearance;

"It wasn't the Klingons, it was Old Man Wilkins!"
But Scooby and the Globetrotters were Hanna Barbera.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:43 AM   #41
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^In that case, how about having the Archies show up in the rec room and sing a song about what we learned in this week's episode? Or would that be too much like "The Way to Eden"?
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:08 AM   #42
Lance
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Canon is a mutable thing, continuity-wise. Any long-running canon will retcon or ignore inconvenient ideas or mistakes from its past, but the broad strokes of the series will still be assumed to have happened.
This. And it's as true of any other long-runner (TV, movies, literature, comic books...) as it is with Star Trek.

I do think it's important to have some over-arching structure to a franchise. But I reckon anything beyond that is definitely mutable. The best kind of canon is one that the individual comes upon for themselves.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:47 AM   #43
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Imagine....You are 13 years old and your sitting there on a Saturday morning eating your King Vitamin cereal watching a television special on the new programming coming on Saturday morning when BAM!.....
The Enterprise flies across your screen in all of it's cartoon glory! You don't care how good it is as it's Star Trek and all Star Trek is good.......

That's how it was for me anyway and I like the animated series.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:00 AM   #44
Lance
Commodore

For all the criticisms that people make (and have made in the past) about TAS, I don't think it often gets the praise it deserves for other things. Using the original series cast and staying true to their characters as seen in the original series. Using scriptwriters from TOS to retain that authentic flavor. The production design: using TOS uniforms, and the Enterprise interiors being effectively an accurate representation of the sets seen in TOS. And so on. People often harp on about TAS somehow being inauthentic, but compare it to most other live-action-to-animation transfers of the 1970s and 1980s. Almsot none of them made the transfer to animation without making substantial changes to the mythology of the parent live-action series, usually even "dumbing down for kids" (as if kids need something to be dumbed down when they enjoyed the live-action version perfectly fine as it was!). TAS is different to that. It shows respect to TOS, and it shows respect to Star Trek. Heck, TAS is virtually just TOS continued in animated format.

Sure, some of the criticisms are valid. There is limited animation. The half-hour format does truncate storytelling compared to the hour-long format. The oft-quoted color mistakes are rampant in some places. But these are only nitpicks when TAS, at it's very core, is as much Star Trek as any other series.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:13 AM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
Am I really missing anything if I skip TAS?
No.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote