Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 12 2013, 04:15 AM   #316
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Incremental progress. I hope to be able to soften the transition between the two intersecting curved surfaces, the bow section and the forward bulkhead(viewport area).

Old June 14 2013, 02:20 AM   #317
Warped9
Admiral

Slowly taking shape. There's one part I'm not really happy with (where the viewport bulkhead meets the forward section) and I might try to repair it later. The curved transition between the two surfaces isn't as good as it could be. Admittedly it's challenging because we're talking about two compound curved surfaces intersecting---loads of fun. (-:

Generally. though. I'm pleased with how this is taking shape. It's interesting seeing this design coming to life in three dimensions. Some of the shapes and different viewing angles can challenge your expectations. And it does have something of a truck like look to it. (-:
Old June 14 2013, 02:46 AM   #318
Kail
Commodore

Love it!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 01:12 AM   #319
Warped9
Admiral

Some progress. This is the main hull mostly done. I just want to try fixing that small area I mentioned upthread (where two compound surfaces intersect). This looks weird without the landing supports and engines added on. But then I think it will always look a bit weird given its shape.

Old June 17 2013, 04:19 AM   #320
Warped9
Admiral

Landing support struts and impulse engines in place.

Old June 17 2013, 04:23 PM   #321
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Never much cared for this design, but you're doing a great job at reproducing it!
Old June 18 2013, 03:09 PM   #322
Warped9
Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
Never much cared for this design, but you're doing a great job at reproducing it!
It isn't the most graceful looking thing, but I do find it somewhat interesting. I rationalize it by imagining it's not a standard type of Starfleet design, that it's something Starfleet contracted from another Federation agency. It could be a design used more for other scientific or mining or resources agencies and Starfleet contracted a version adapted for their needs. I'd say the same could apply to all three TAS designs.

I actually rather like the general look of the way it is now with some of the sharper lines on it, but the original design had the side support struts merging more smoothly into the main body as well as the viewport bulkhead merging more smoothly into the upper bow so I'm presently trying to make that happen.
Old June 19 2013, 01:47 AM   #323
Warped9
Admiral

Old June 19 2013, 10:11 PM   #324
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, it's incremental progress, but it looks better and better with every post...
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 01:26 AM   #325
Warped9
Admiral

The end is in sight. What's left are the signage and some detailing like the access hatch and a few other little things. I also have to get the lighting effects working to light the impulse engines.

Old June 21 2013, 03:21 AM   #326
Warped9
Admiral

All the symmetrical work is done. All that's left now is the asymmetrical detailing such as registry, the access hatch and step plates and a few other bits.

Old June 21 2013, 11:54 PM   #327
Kail
Commodore

Sweet!

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 03:15 AM   #328
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

I love where this is going. Great work, Warped9.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 03:38 AM   #329
Warped9
Admiral

This is the raw model (before rendering) pretty much done. I am working on a rudimentary interior even though you'd be able to see next to nothing, but at least it will give me something of a start when/if I get around to doing 2D cross sections of this.

I had actually felt a bit daunted before tackling this design because of some of its unusual shapes, but it actually came off a lot easier then I had thought it would. Hmm, maybe I'm actually starting get the hang of this.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot and becoming more comfortable with SketchUp. It will make future models easier and particularly when I remake my version of the TAS scoutship.

Despite its size there isn't meant to be a whole lot of room inside this craft. It could often be manned by only two people although it could be fitted to accommodate four. It's essentially a flying laboratory/probe crammed with equipment to study extreme environments up close. On the TAS onscreen version there was something of a sensor dish thingy on the front which I thought looked awkward. So I rationalized that you could have swappable components depending on the mission profile. On my design I put more of a spar looking type of attachment. Also I've allowed for mission specific components to be attached at two other points on the hull. One point is that whitish rectangular panel on the sloping upper aft hull and the other is under the bow just rearward of the forward landing strut.

Last edited by Warped9; June 22 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:15 PM   #330
Warped9
Admiral

What you see here is an x-ray view of the craft showing the basic shape of the interior. The interior isn't finished yet because there has to be an elevated platform for the cockpit or the viewport would be totally useless (too high). So I want to add an elevated platform, a master control console and a couple of chairs. I might also add a few other bits to the interior. The lower aft area would be taken up by the impulse engines while the under deck area would be most of the rest of the ship's systems. The upper aft area as well as the bulk of the bow would be crammed with various sensors and analytical equipment.

It is a standing interior although the access hatch might require you to duck a little. But you can clearly see I've scaled the ship down. The original TAS version was huge and the access hatch was easily two-thirds to a half the size of mine proportionately to the rest of the ship.

This gives you a sense of scale. The crewman is about 5'-10".

Last edited by Warped9; June 22 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote