Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 13 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Eh...would the BBC really sit on these episodes with no announcement for that long? And be able to keep it a secret? The last time this happened, someone inside the BBC leaked The Underwater Menace.

That being said, I'd be really really excited if this is true because it would be absolutely fantastic. Just trying not to get my hopes up.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:42 PM   #17
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

Because nothing in Doctor Who fandom can happen without an overreaction from Gallifrey Base, the forum director posted this in the missing episodes thread there, with the first two lines in red:
PLEASE READ THIS

PLEASE READ THIS

I've been holding back on this, but now that Bleeding Cool have stoked the fires, I'd like to ask you all to reign in your enthusiasm and excitement, keep calm and carry on. At this point it's all still a rumor, and it's been made quite clear, with this rumor and rumors in the past, that "loose lips sink ships" (so to speak), and too much talk can cause very real problems with negotiations, if such negotiations are being carried out. Nobody here would like to know that their posts were responsible for unintentionally sabotaging negotiations and scuppering a return, so please exercise caution and discretion. I'm not silencing discussion on the rumor, and the rumor still may turn out to be false, I'm just asking you all to take it easy and think before you post. Thank you.
Which led someone to suggest that he knew something, which led him to post this:
I "know" the same thing that everyone else "knows" and no more.

(Well, the first time I heard the rumor in January, it was 54 episodes. That's about the only difference.)

The very reason why I didn't want to have to post that sort of message was that it might inadvertently lend an unintended authenticity to the rumor for some of our more overeager members. So I'm telling you right now, straight and clear, don't make that mistake.
Which led as day leads to night to this, and a temporary thread closure:
One of our members has accused me of making my post in response to receiving a message from someone asking me to do it.

There is no truth to that.

Nobody has said anything to me about missing episodes, nobody has made any requests of me, not in any form of communication.

That was me considering the situation and attempting to be sensible about it.

And, one more time, this is still a rumor, the same rumor that's been going around for a while now. It has yet to be proven true or false to me or anyone else, as far as I know.

So, enough of that. I'm not keeping the thread closed, because there's always plenty to talk about when it comes to missing episodes. Thread will reopen soon. But my earlier post still stands, and I very much appreciate those of you who have taken the message to heart.
Old June 13 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Tom
Rear Admiral

Exciting if true. So reading this it seams a station or related entity in Africa was retaining what they broadcast. Definitely plausible I suppose
Old June 13 2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The most obvious problem with the rumor is that "Evil of the Daleks" was never sold anywhere in Africa, so the odds of this eccentric engineer having had access to prints of it are pretty slim.
Old June 13 2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

So, about negotiations...If indeed someone does have a large stash of episodes that were original copies intended for broadcast, and BBC doesn't want to meet their price, then what happens? The person/entity holding them can't do anything financially gainful with them right? Only the BBC can purchase them for profit making ventures, right? Unless some Millionaire/Billionaire was to grab them up for their Private Collection?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:03 PM   #21
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I've watched a recon of Evil of the Daleks three times. It's so fucking good I'd cry tears of joy if it were discovered, so I'm not gonna get too excited or I'll be upset when it turns out to be another duff rumour.

The fact that Dalek story is missing while Journey's End still exists is incredibly depressing. Probably one of the key reasons which led to me being a nihilistic atheist.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^By coincidence, I just read a review of "The Web Planet" that ended with a lament that it still exists while stories like "Fury From the Deep" and "Marco Polo" don't.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:31 PM   #23
MickJo1701
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I've watched a recon of Evil of the Daleks three times. It's so fucking good I'd cry tears of joy if it were discovered, so I'm not gonna get too excited or I'll be upset when it turns out to be another duff rumour.

The fact that Dalek story is missing while Journey's End still exists is incredibly depressing. Probably one of the key reasons which led to me being a nihilistic atheist.
Nothing would please me more than having all 7 episodes of this particular Troughton serial returned in one piece in place of that wretched series finale.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:32 PM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Love most Hartnell but The Web Planet is really boring and a tough watch. Marco Polo recon was gripping though, no doubt it'd be a Top 10 classic if it were still around.
Old June 13 2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Christopher wrote: View Post
^By coincidence, I just read a review of "The Web Planet" that ended with a lament that it still exists while stories like "Fury From the Deep" and "Marco Polo" don't.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Love most Hartnell but The Web Planet is really boring and a tough watch. Marco Polo recon was gripping though, no doubt it'd be a Top 10 classic if it were still around.
Alas, I remain the one fan of The Web Planet.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:34 PM   #26
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Nothing would please me more than having all 7 episodes of this particular Troughton serial returned in one piece in place of that wretched series finale.
I'd get rid of it with no reward of returned missing episodes .

Parting of the Ways, The Big Bang and The Name of The Doctor are the only good New Who finales probably.
Old June 13 2013, 09:36 PM   #27
diankra
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

The seas on 3 sales package would be Full Hartnell bar 21 eps...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:36 PM   #28
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
I like it well enough, not a favorite, but, I don't dislike watching it

If I was gonna give up surviving episodes in exchange for lost ones, I'd give up the 4 of Reign of Terror and The Gunfighters 4 episodes

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

^But The Gunfighters is magnificent.

I've been here so many times before, that I'm deliberately not getting my hopes up. But if it does turn out to be true, then I'll be over the moon obviously.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:10 PM   #30
diankra
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I like it well enough, not a favorite, but, I don't dislike watching it

If I was gonna give up surviving episodes in exchange for lost ones, I'd give up the 4 of Reign of Terror and The Gunfighters 4 episodes
But Reign isnt existing, its Recovered! I remember when it was missing and how I schemed to get copies when those 4 eps turned up!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote