RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,466
Posts: 5,508,917
Members: 25,133
Currently online: 565
Newest member: laibcoms

TrekToday headlines

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 13 2013, 03:28 AM   #61
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Same here. What's wrong with just Captain Kirk, Mister Spock, and the Enterprise crew exploring new worlds? I want Star Trek, not another crappy spinoff. We've had enough of those.
Pretty much whatever is done would be another 'crappy spinoff.' Casting fresh young actors as Captain Kirk or Captain Newguy is not that big a distinction, in the end they'll make the character their own.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:36 AM   #62
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Nostalgia. It wasn't better before.
So I guess they should take the Hugo award away from City on the Edge of Forever, remove the Enterprise from the Smithsonian, and strike Trek from all top-10 lists of greatest TV shows of all time because it's all just rose-colored-glasses. Thanks for the tip.
I never said or implied anything of the sort. Why are you misrepresenting my post ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:08 PM   #63
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Belz... wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Nostalgia. It wasn't better before.
So I guess they should take the Hugo award away from City on the Edge of Forever, remove the Enterprise from the Smithsonian, and strike Trek from all top-10 lists of greatest TV shows of all time because it's all just rose-colored-glasses. Thanks for the tip.
I never said or implied anything of the sort. Why are you misrepresenting my post ?
I've heard every apologia for JJ Trek imaginable, and you just reached for the usual "the old stuff sucks or is no-better" argument. I have no interest in using straw-man arguments, and if you want to clarify it, please do, but left to a one-liner like that, that's how you come across, and you really should be aware of it. It's your responsibility to be concise.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:12 PM   #64
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

A series following the hardworking but overlooked men, women and others of the Border Service, set onboard a decades old ship where ingenuity, sweat and bailwire are all that keep her together as she goes into situations most others would avoid in order to save lives.

The crew wouldn't be as cleancut as on other ships/series, all onboard for different reasons (those because of the work they do, some because no one else wants them, and others who are seeking the adventure) but all bound together under the label of "Border Dogs".

Ok so I'm more than a little bias

But I would love to see a series that isn't on the most cutting edge ship of the fleet, where the crew are more than just outstanding examples of sentients but have flaws and quirks, where the loss of a shipmate is a big deal for a closeknit community.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:08 PM   #65
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post

So I guess they should take the Hugo award away from City on the Edge of Forever, remove the Enterprise from the Smithsonian, and strike Trek from all top-10 lists of greatest TV shows of all time because it's all just rose-colored-glasses. Thanks for the tip.
I never said or implied anything of the sort. Why are you misrepresenting my post ?
I've heard every apologia for JJ Trek imaginable,
JJ Trek has nothing to apologize for, its entertaining and successful and managed to bring trek back from the dead.

Just because some fans don't like how they did it doesn't mean it needs to make up for it.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:30 PM   #66
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

surak-toc wrote: View Post
i think it would be a good idea, a new enterprise to set off on a new and all important mission to a new part of the galaxy

Why a Enterprise?

Be nice to have a run of the mill Federation ship following up and expanding on the storys set forth in the TNG->Timeline.

See what happend to some of the planets after the Ent D left?

Mopping up after wolf 359?

Exploring the federation core worlds abit more especialy earth!

What the experiances of a rund of the mill ship in the dominion war was like?

It would be good to set it up in a semi serilised way series 4 of ENT was with the same sort of writing.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:48 PM   #67
Charles Phipps
Commander
 
Charles Phipps's Avatar
 
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

I think every Trek fan has a new show in his head, just like every SW fan has their own Prequels.
__________________
Check out the United Federation of Charles:
http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Charles Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:56 PM   #68
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I've heard every apologia for JJ Trek imaginable, and you just reached for the usual "the old stuff sucks or is no-better" argument. I have no interest in using straw-man arguments, and if you want to clarify it, please do, but left to a one-liner like that, that's how you come across, and you really should be aware of it. It's your responsibility to be concise.
No, my comment was just that: it wasn't better before. Just different to a degree, and you prefered it back then. Hence, nostalgia.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:01 PM   #69
surak-toc
Commander
 
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
surak-toc wrote: View Post
i think it would be a good idea, a new enterprise to set off on a new and all important mission to a new part of the galaxy

Why a Enterprise?

Be nice to have a run of the mill Federation ship following up and expanding on the storys set forth in the TNG->Timeline.

See what happend to some of the planets after the Ent D left?

Mopping up after wolf 359?

Exploring the federation core worlds abit more especialy earth!

What the experiances of a rund of the mill ship in the dominion war was like?

It would be good to set it up in a semi serilised way series 4 of ENT was with the same sort of writing.

interesting stuff, i'd also like in a series the possibilities for some characters of say andorian/vulcan origin or tellerite/coridan maybe, a series that could show xenophobia once again at the heart of the federation years and years into the future.
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:42 PM   #70
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Be nice to have a run of the mill Federation ship...
These are the voyages of the supply ship Monotony, its continuing mission: to deliver tricobalt ore from Betazed VI to Starbase 117, to clean out cargo holds and recalibrate transporter coils, to boldy go back and forth over and over again.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 01:54 AM   #71
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Be nice to have a run of the mill Federation ship...
These are the voyages of the supply ship Monotony, its continuing mission: to deliver tricobalt ore from Betazed VI to Starbase 117, to clean out cargo holds and recalibrate transporter coils, to boldy go back and forth over and over again.
Yeah, that's inherently the problem with doing a series about an ordinary ship--they tend to do very ordinary things. Even if a Trek series did center on a non-frontline vessel, the action-adventure aspect of Trek would require it to be a hero ship nonetheless, frequently getting into dangerous combat situations and saving the Galaxy from various threats all by itself like hero ships tend to do.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 04:12 AM   #72
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

I like the idea of Starfleet Academy, and honestly, we have been there, and it was very very good. Just remember the game of Starfleet Academy. It was a very good game with good plot and characters. I love that.

The story of the game was simple. The time line was happened around Star Trek II, I think. The main characters were the group of Students who faced the challenge from the mentor (Sulu, Kirk) in a bridge simulator.

But I guess, the story of the series can be expanded. Like the main characters have rival students from the Red Shirt or anything. Or maybe because the elite students Red Shirts were arrogant, the main characters group (who are actually an underdog) give their best to win the rivalry.

In the rivalry, the students will compete to use the elite Defiant Class Starship, and the loser will use the out of date Miranda or Excelsior Class Starship for the away mission. It will be fun.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 12:53 PM   #73
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
...Prime Trek isn't coming back. Nemesis and Enterprise killed Prime Trek. Instead of yelling at J.J. Abrams, yell at Rick Berman.
That's like saying TOS Trek won't be coming back when TNG aired. I'm sure no one saw a reboot coming then.

What do you think will happen as time progresses with the reboot and fans loose interest, a reboot reboot? I think TNG will eventually come back one way or another.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 07:30 PM   #74
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
...Prime Trek isn't coming back. Nemesis and Enterprise killed Prime Trek. Instead of yelling at J.J. Abrams, yell at Rick Berman.
That's like saying TOS Trek won't be coming back when TNG aired. I'm sure no one saw a reboot coming then.

What do you think will happen as time progresses with the reboot and fans loose interest, a reboot reboot? I think TNG will eventually come back one way or another.
Nope. A second reboot. Maybe a TNG reboot. But when interest in the JJ reboot drops, why would they go back to Berman Trek? That's like saying when Nemesis flops they should have gone back to Shatner and Co. for another TOS movie set in the original TOS timeline.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 08:23 PM   #75
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

I'd hope instead of doing a reboot of TNG or a reboot of TOS's reboot, they'd just come up with something original set in the Trek universe. Give us something we haven't seen before instead of just a facelift on something we have. Though yeah... it'll probably be a reboot as the last 20 years of movies have proven that you'll sell tickets no matter how many times you recycle the same old concept.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.