Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 13 2013, 08:29 PM   #2101
Borgminister

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Semi-reliable blog says Paramount quietly greenlit Star Trek 3 and GI Joe 3 last week.
Which blog is that out of curiosity? Although it's a forgone conclusion at this point...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:43 PM   #2102
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Wednesday number: $1,137,047 for $203,715,975 so far. Star Trek made $1,262,996 on its comparable day. STiD will be in 2,331 theaters this weekend, down 821 from the previous one.
Old June 13 2013, 08:47 PM   #2103
Borgminister

Crap.
Old June 13 2013, 08:58 PM   #2104
RAMA
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Something tells me it'll do that and more
corrected amount
Old June 13 2013, 09:04 PM   #2105
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Over the next 50 years...

1) There will be another Star Trek movie.
2) There will be another Star Trek TV show.
3) 1 & 2 be will repeated several times.

The numbers really make no difference when it comes down to it...
Old June 13 2013, 09:07 PM   #2106
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

So, it'll probably pass 210 million this weekend, with two weeks yet to go in June.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:29 PM   #2107
Borgminister

Boxoffice does forecast 6 million over the weekend, so 210 sounds right. If there are enough theaters open, maybe it'll push the 230 mark.

And Supes is currently at 57% on RT.
Old June 13 2013, 10:40 PM   #2108
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

I am getting dizzy reading all the spins the fans and detractors of the movie are putting on the boxoffice numbers. But the detractor dudes are grasping at the straws here. This movie is a hit, boxoffice and otherwise.

One factor that's important, besides the boxoffice, is how the studio perceives the movie in terms of qualify and popularity. The movie "Superman Returns" is mentioned several times in this thread. I think the studio executives were not exited about that movie and moviegoers reactions were lukewarm (e.g. 6.2 rating on imdb). So despite solid boxoffice numbers they didn't do any direct followup to that movie and eventually did a reboot several years later.

But in case of STID, the studio obviously thought highly of the film. That's evident from early critics screenings, the 9 minute trailer, opening the movie a day early, etc. All indicated that studio was confident they had a good movie (maybe a little overconfident, releasing a day early was a mistake). And the audience and critics reactions to the movie has been very positive, high ratings on cinemascore, imdb, rottentomatoes, etc.

So while the studio maybe a little disappointed by the domestic boxoffice, they are very happy with everything else. So the next movie will be done by the same creative team. They may try a different marketing strategy to get more female and younger viewers, but it will get made and will have a healthy budget (even if it's lower than this one).
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:43 PM   #2109
thumbtack
Commodore

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Which blog is that out of curiosity? Although it's a forgone conclusion at this point...
Can't. Love that blog and won't have the comments section sullied by fanboys. (Not calling you a fanboy, but others are reading) If it's true, we ought to know soon enough.

Borgminister wrote: View Post
And Supes is currently at 57% on RT.
But I wanted it to be good! It's going to smack the competition whether it's good or not, so I hoped it would have had the decency to at least be good.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Opening day admissions in France according to the BoxOffice.com forums: 88,477, compared to 59,970 for Star Trek.
Interesting. The French have never liked Star Trek before. Do you suppose, on foreign-language Trek boards, the posters there are debating why it is that Into Darkness is doing so much better than its predecessor? The action content doesn't seem any higher to me.

That would be an interesting conversation to listen in on. At least compared to listening to a canon enthusiast try to convince us that, despite only getting two cents of every dollar of the foreign grosses, the studio nevertheless cheerfully spent half a billion marketing this movie in foreign territories, expecting a minimum performance of 64 billion worldwide.
Old June 13 2013, 10:43 PM   #2110
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I think that the decision "sequel or not" is primarily made based on the "plan" for the sequel, especially in an already established franchise. There are films that got a sequel even though they had horrible box office, because studios liked the concept and approach of the sequel plan. There are films that never got a sequel even though they had fantastic box office, because nobody was able to come up with a plan for a sequel that satisfied the studios.

Superman Returns did fine, but the concept for the sequel wasn't good.
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:44 PM   #2111
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Cyrus wrote: View Post
One factor that's important, besides the boxoffice, is how the studio perceives the movie in terms of qualify and popularity. The movie "Superman Returns" is mentioned several times in this thread. I think the studio executives were not exited about that movie and moviegoers reactions were lukewarm (e.g. 6.2 rating on imdb). So despite solid boxoffice numbers they didn't do any direct followup to that movie and eventually did a reboot several years later.
I think two things hurt the film here in the States:

*Not using Khan in the marketing.

*Having such a widely varied release with the U.S. being later in the game.

But it is a very, very good movie.
Old June 13 2013, 10:56 PM   #2112
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
I think two things hurt the film here in the States:

*Not using Khan in the marketing.

*Having such a widely varied release with the U.S. being later in the game.

But it is a very, very good movie.
I agree with you on both.
Old June 13 2013, 11:05 PM   #2113
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Just got back from seeing it again with my daughters (10 and 13). There were about a dozen others in the theater (IMAX 3-D).

The plot seemed a little less convoluted this time, mainly because I had previously forgotten that Khan says he was found out before he could smuggle his crew out in the missiles, so being reminded of that helped straighten some things out.

The actors are just marvelous as their characters. The feeling is as comfortable as TOS.

Does anyone think Cumberbatch can really naturally curl his lips into the shapes he did while talking (especially in the brig), or was it slightly CGI enhanced? I mean, he made some very contorted expressions.

I actually feel more sorry for Khan after seeing it again.

Loved how gung-ho Peter Weller made Marcus. If they still smoked cigars in the 23rd century, Marcus would be chewing on one, son.

I'll agree to disagree with some folks, but Kirk's death scene was better than Spock's in TWOK. Very poignant, especially with Spock knowing what Kirk is going through and not being able to console him.

And, just to make things interesting, my phone started vibrating during the last twenty minutes but I didn't check it. A few seconds later, my oldest hands me her phone. It's a text from her mom at work in DC, "Tornado warning, sited near home, you still at movie?" The theater is about 15 miles away from home. Is it sad to say that message didn't keep me from staying engrossed in the last scenes? Fortunately, everything was where we left it when we got home. (Didn't even rain a drop at the theater.)

Seeing it once with the entire family and once again with my daughters marks my contribution to the box office (seven IMAX 3-D tickets is enough).
Old June 13 2013, 11:12 PM   #2114
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

khan2 wrote: View Post
I will bet anyone credits to navy beans that we will see a significant budget cut for the next film.
I have no idea whether you're right or not, but IMO that could be a good thing. Starting from STID. I'd be happy to see 5-10 minutes of frenetic action replaced with character or plot development. YMMV.

Franklin wrote: View Post
Does anyone think Cumberbatch can really naturally curl his lips into the shapes he did while talking (especially in the brig), or was it slightly CGI enhanced? I mean, he made some very contorted expressions.
He does it in Sherlock too - S02E02 being the one I noticed it in the most, so presumably he does it himself. (if you haven't done so, watch Sherlock - great TV).
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 11:45 PM   #2115
RAMA
Vice Admiral

KittyDuran wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Box Office Mojo hasn't updated for a while, but the folks in the forums over at boxoffice.com are figuring this is currently at about 210 million international gross.
So assuming this is true (and it seems likely), $203 million domestic $210 million international= $413 million surpassing the inflation adjusted WW gross of ST09 in just 5 weeks (ST09 played till Sept).

RAMA
Was that when (IIRC) ST09 went back into the IMAX theaters (when there was a opening)? I know I saw it a few more times in IMAX after it's run in the cheap theaters, but I couldn't remember if it was in the month of September.

Here's hoping that STiD does another run in IMAX!

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...startrek11.htm