TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 10.87%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 48 52.17%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 13 14.13%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 22.83%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 13 2013, 07:14 PM   #16
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You know there's three next generation consoles.
The Wii U is certainly new but "next generation" in any meaningful sense? no - it already lags now and is going to look pretty sicky in even a couple of years.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:16 PM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome

PS4 for sure. I don't know when I'm gonna buy it, though. It will probably depend on the release of certain games, and whether they are PS4-exclusive or if they release versions for PS3 as well. I love my PS3, but there are some PS4 games that I am really looking forward to.
Old June 13 2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Sticking with the PS3 for now, but will likely get a PS4 a couple of years after it launches.

What I'm really curious about is, what did MS's market research tell them? Honestly, I want to know, because they've made every conceivable mistake to piss off gamers, and they only seem to be digging themselves into a hole each time they speak. I think that the XBox 360 was one of their more successful hardware products, where others have failed to hit the mark, ie Zune, Surface Tablet, phones. It's particularly telling that they fumbled this so badly, and I think they needed this to be successful, the XBox 360 having been so popular. On the other hand, they never struck me as a consumer-aware company, doing whatever they want and expecting people to like it, especially as of late.

I have this vision in my head of executives sitting in at a meeting and nodding to all of their "great ideas".
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:06 PM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

Lately, Microsoft's decision-making seems to be based in the bazarro world. What do customers want out of our products? Cool, let's do the opposite of that!
Old June 13 2013, 08:12 PM   #20
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
captain crow wrote: View Post
Why no option for not getting either of them?

Uhhh... don't vote?

Eventually, I'll get both, but PS4 first and the X1 after a price cut or 2 occurs.
So I guess those of us who aren't interested in either of them and who'll be switching to PC for newer games don't count then.
Old June 13 2013, 08:13 PM   #21
RoJoHen
Awesome

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
Why no option for not getting either of them?

Uhhh... don't vote?

Eventually, I'll get both, but PS4 first and the X1 after a price cut or 2 occurs.
So I guess those of us who aren't interested in either of them and who'll be switching to PC for newer games don't count then.
You count, just not for the purposes of this poll.
Old June 13 2013, 08:23 PM   #22
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

A 3DS XL.

This poll is lame.
Old June 13 2013, 08:30 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've actually been thinking about getting a 3DS myself. I need to get some Pokemon back in my life.
Old June 13 2013, 10:29 PM   #24
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm a 360 owner and, unless Sony drop the ball somehow, I'll probably be purchasing a PS4. The Xbox One just doesn't appear to be good value due to all the DRM stuff, the higher price, and it's weaker system specs. My current plan is to wait until a few months after launch to get it, but I might be persuaded to preorder it if I find a really good deal.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
What I'm really curious about is, what did MS's market research tell them? Honestly, I want to know, because they've made every conceivable mistake to piss off gamers, and they only seem to be digging themselves into a hole each time they speak.
Their marketing chief, Yusuf Mehdi, explained their thinking in this article:

I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.
So it seems like their marketing research told them that the hardcore gamers wouldn't like it but most consumers wouldn't bother to find out about the DRM before buying, so they decided to go for it. They may be right about that, consumers can be pretty stupid. But their mass cancelling of press interviews at E3 indicates that the backlash was larger than they expected and they're struggling to overcome the bad PR.
Old June 13 2013, 11:04 PM   #25
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
My 15 year old son has been discussing this with his friends at school. At the moment the split between PS3 and Xbox360 ownership is pretty much equal.

With the concerns about second hand games and having to connect to the internet every 24 hours, coupled with the price difference, 6 out of 7 of the Xbox players plan to move over to the PS4.

What do you plan to do ?
This is a good thing.

I've got no stock in the whole "PS vs XBox" war. I own neither. I own no consoles, at all. I'm a PC gamer.

But the changes to gaming the success of XBox One will bring about will be monumental and horrible for gamers.

Only XBox One's failure to sell will be a good thing for gamers as a whole.

It will declare in one loud resounding voice that if you try to pull this sort of bullshit, you will fail big-time. And that no degree of console loyalty will ever over-ride outright sanity.

XBOX One must fail or it'll destroy gaming.

If I liked consoles, I'd buy a PS4 just to spit in Microsoft's eye over this BS.

PS: No, not an MS hater either - I use Windows. I use friggin VISTA, FFS. :P

PPS: you should have another poll option: "I'm a PC Gamer"

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 11:51 PM   #26
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I have a 360 and will be switching to a PS4 due to Microsoft's shenanigans. I'll probably wait awhile, though, as all the games I'm interested in this fall are available for the 360. The only downside for me is no more Halo.
Old June 14 2013, 12:13 AM   #27
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I've actually been thinking about getting a 3DS myself. I need to get some Pokemon back in my life.

Animal Crossing for me, they finally made one that feels like a sequel.
Old June 14 2013, 03:34 AM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
What I'm really curious about is, what did MS's market research tell them? Honestly, I want to know, because they've made every conceivable mistake to piss off gamers, and they only seem to be digging themselves into a hole each time they speak.

I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points.
So it seems like their marketing research told them that the hardcore gamers wouldn't like it but most consumers wouldn't bother to find out about the DRM before buying, so they decided to go for it. They may be right about that, consumers can be pretty stupid. But their mass cancelling of press interviews at E3 indicates that the backlash was larger than they expected and they're struggling to overcome the bad PR.
I think what they'll likely learn, the hard way, is that customers aren't as stupid as they think they are. In a way, what they've done has really made people stand up and notice to what's being done, not just with the XBox, but in DRM in general. So, if there's one good thing to come out of this, it's that. Their tactics don't seem quite sound.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 07:41 AM   #29
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Really shows why Nintendo are the only ones I have any form of brand loyalty to. Miyamoto says used games aren't a problem if you make games that people want to keep playing.

Meanwhile Cliff Bleszinski says you can't have game rental, used games, etc. while games cost so much to make. Then make cheaper games. The games I've enjoyed most of late? Thomas Was Alone. New Super Mario U, Portal 2, etc. Are not $200m games, don't need the fastest processors and the most up to date graphics cards. They're just good games.

I suppose we can't have $200m blockbuster movies with a rental market and secondhand DVDs either? What a load of crap.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 07:59 AM   #30
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm a 360 owner and, unless Sony drop the ball somehow, I'll probably be purchasing a PS4. The Xbox One just doesn't appear to be good value due to all the DRM stuff, the higher price, and it's weaker system specs. My current plan is to wait until a few months after launch to get it, but I might be persuaded to preorder it if I find a really good deal.

You know.. that marketing guy is actually right. E3 is a special event and is attended by enthusiasts and hardcore gamers. Of course they will know more about this stuff and pay very close attention.

But Joe Schmoe clicking on Amazon links or wandering into the store? He doesn#t care a bit.. he sees pretty looking, cool games and is being told he needs the new console so he/she will buy it no questions asked.

Many, if not most people, have internet connections so connecting once a day is irrelevant for them. They'll also not be much into trading off games so there goes the second point.

This is what MS aims at.. they know they will have a bad standing with the hardcore group and are trying their best to spin it and reduce the backlash lest average and less informed potential customer doesn't get any funny ideas and switches over to a competitor, i.e. Sony.

Question is will the DRM actively hamper the average customer? If that starts to happen, i.e. the stereotypical "Oh.. my internet cut out.. let's play some games! - WTF????" (similar to the RROD fiasco with the 360) then they may get into trouble.

MS doesn't employ dumb people.. they do their homework and they look at the current lifestyle and they have designed the XBO to work within that lifestyle. Question is if that gamble pays off and to what extent they are willing to piss off potential customers so they can still grab the majority of the potential buyers.

No matter what people say here or at IGN/Gamespot/the million other video gaming sites.. the XBO will most likely be a success and Sony won't dominate the market like the did during the PS1 and PS2 days. That's over once MS established itself in the market and permanently grabbed a piece of the pie.