TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 13 2013, 05:49 PM   #2086
newtontomato539
Commander

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

No one is buying the sexist, racist and other lies.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:11 PM   #2087
khan2
Ensign

I seem to have hit a raw nerve but, quite frankly, STID is nowhere near the blockbuster Paramount must have hoped it would be. After a sizable budget increase, followed by a very agressive/expensive overseas marketing campaign, box office results seem mixed at best.

Domestic box office:
ST09: 172% of film budget
STID: 107% as of 6/11

International box office:
ST09: 85% of film budget
STID: 93% as of 6/11

Worlwide box office:
ST09: 257% of film budget
STID: 199% as of 6/11

Bottom line: Generously speaking (since additional marketing costs haven't been taken into account), at this point STID would have to earn at least an additional $100 million worldwide (for a total of $488 million) just to match ST09's ROI.

Yes, the film is doing "fine" and yes, there will be another, but I can safely predict that those at Paramount looking at the bottom line must be disappointed by STID's overall performance and I will bet anyone credits to navy beans that we will see a significant budget cut for the next film.
khan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:29 PM   #2088
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

khan2 wrote: View Post
I'm sure the powers that be at Paramount would disagree with your assessment. While not a bomb, given a budget increase of over 26 percent and a massive marketing push, Paramount must surely be disappointed when examining their return on investment. Sure, they'll make "another one" but, unlike this one, they'll probably be far less generous with their purse-strings.
Yeah, it's doing HORRIBLY overseas - and no one's seeing it in the U.S. -- oh, wait...

What matters is the bottom line - profit; and between the combined BO (domestic and overseas); PPV and pay movie channel contracts, Blu-Ray and DVD sales (again domestic and overseas and with the film appealing more to foreign audiences then ST2009 did...); over the years - yes, this film will bring in more money than ST2009 did.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:42 PM   #2089
thumbtack
Commodore

Semi-reliable blog says Paramount quietly greenlit Star Trek 3 and GI Joe 3 last week.
Old June 13 2013, 06:58 PM   #2090
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Box Office Mojo hasn't updated for a while, but the folks in the forums over at boxoffice.com are figuring this is currently at about 210 million international gross.
So assuming this is true (and it seems likely), $203 million domestic $210 million international= $413 million surpassing the inflation adjusted WW gross of ST09 in just 5 weeks (ST09 played till Sept).

RAMA
Was that when (IIRC) ST09 went back into the IMAX theaters (when there was a opening)? I know I saw it a few more times in IMAX after it's run in the cheap theaters, but I couldn't remember if it was in the month of September.

Here's hoping that STiD does another run in IMAX!
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:00 PM   #2091
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

khan2 wrote: View Post
I seem to have hit a raw nerve...
No.

People are merely correcting your mistaken reasoning and misinterpretation of facts. One might as well assert that one has hit a math teacher's "raw nerve" when wrong answers are marked in red on a quiz or test.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:02 PM   #2092
Flake
Commodore

I think they will go for a more family friendly adventure next time round
Flake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:06 PM   #2093
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nah. "Family friendly" means something pretty specific, and it's outside the action-adventure genre and the box office take that they're looking for - unless they want to turn Trek over to Dreamworks Animation or Pixar.

They want to be in the same arena with Man Of Steel, Fast And Furious or the Marvel movies. These are not "family friendly."
Old June 13 2013, 07:25 PM   #2094
Flake
Commodore

Nah. "Family friendly" means something pretty specific, and it's outside the action-adventure genre and the box office take that they're looking for - unless they want to turn Trek over to Dreamworks Animation or Pixar.

They want to be in the same arena with Man Of Steel, Fast And Furious or the Marvel movies. These are not "family friendly."
The Nibiru stuff qualifies as family friendly adventure to me whereas the briefing room massacre and aftermath does not. etc....

The Marvel movies are definitely family & kid friendly. I think STID moved away from that.
Flake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:55 PM   #2095
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Avengers and Captain America all carried PG-13 ratings.

If they go "family friendly" their box office goes down.
Old June 13 2013, 08:17 PM   #2096
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

is this iron man 3 where he spent a lot of the movie dealing with PTSD and loneliness?
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:20 PM   #2097
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Opening day admissions in France according to the BoxOffice.com forums: 88,477, compared to 59,970 for Star Trek.

Doing my part, guys. 7th time tomorrow night.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:23 PM   #2098
Jax
Admiral

STID is nowhere near the blockbuster Paramount must have hoped it would be
Nice to know you were in the meetings at Paramount
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:26 PM   #2099
Jack Frost
Commodore

7th time?! *hangs head in shame, burns membership card*

KittyDuran wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Box Office Mojo hasn't updated for a while, but the folks in the forums over at boxoffice.com are figuring this is currently at about 210 million international gross.
So assuming this is true (and it seems likely), $203 million domestic $210 million international= $413 million surpassing the inflation adjusted WW gross of ST09 in just 5 weeks (ST09 played till Sept).

RAMA
Was that when (IIRC) ST09 went back into the IMAX theaters (when there was a opening)? I know I saw it a few more times in IMAX after it's run in the cheap theaters, but I couldn't remember if it was in the month of September.

Here's hoping that STiD does another run in IMAX!
Yep, it resumed IMAX in 9/09

http://trekmovie.com/2009/09/01/star...d-limited-run/

Last edited by Jack Frost; June 14 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: repairs
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:28 PM   #2100
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Saw it for the fourth time today with my sixteen-year old son (first time) and he loved it.

The second, third and fourth times I've seen this film I've been fully aware of its shortcomings and have expected them to impact my enjoyment, but they haven't. This is a movie that simply grabs hold of you and doesn't let go from beginning to end. The cast is incredible. I could go again tonight to see it!

I just don't know how you can say you're a Trek fan and not enjoy Into Darkness on at least some level.