Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 12 2013, 08:49 PM   #31
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why was the Enterprise.. [Spoilers]

^^I just visited EAS and LOL'd at this quote:

Seeing that the people in charge have lost perspective of ship sizes, we may decide that it all doesn't matter any longer, or we settle on a more reasonable size for the Enterprise. so we are dealing with a Vengeance of "only" some 750m and not one mile.

Translation: I don't like their bigger ships so I'm ignoring the movie and pulling this number out of my ass.

Old June 12 2013, 08:51 PM   #32
shatastrophic
Commander

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
You should really stop using Ex-astris-scientia as a trek source. The author of that site is a bit of a neurotic.
Old June 12 2013, 10:24 PM   #33
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Seeing that the people in charge have lost perspective of ship sizes, we may decide that it all doesn't matter any longer, or we settle on a more reasonable size for the Enterprise. so we are dealing with a Vengeance of "only" some 750m and not one mile.

Translation: I don't like their bigger ships so I'm ignoring the movie and pulling this number out of my ass.

Yeah, I caught that too. Textbook example "I've definitely lost the argument, but if I keep pretending that I didn't, then maybe I didn't."
Old June 12 2013, 10:46 PM   #34
greenlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A prediction for the next movie: We will see the Enterprise land on a planet, with landing legs coming out of the secondary hull, like Voyager. The size of these legs will appear to account for most of the volume of the secondary hull, sparking 20+ page threads with much bickering.

I am only half joking.
greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:06 PM   #35
throwback
Captain

I am less worried about the Enterprise being parked under water, as I am about how long it would take two humans to swim the distance from the surface to that hatch in the secondary hull. I am asking myself this other question, was there a reason why they didn't swim to the primary hull, which was closer to the surface?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:10 PM   #36
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
I am less worried about the Enterprise being parked under water, as I am about how long it would take two humans to swim the distance from the surface to that hatch in the secondary hull. I am asking myself this other question, was there a reason why they didn't swim to the primary hull, which was closer to the surface?
Two reasons:

1) the primary hull is closer to the surface, but the actual distance is somewhat farther away, and the hatches on the primary hull are probably farther still

2) They weren't "swimming" as such; they had some kind of propulsion jets on the boots of their wetsuits, so it would have been a pretty easy "swim".
Old June 13 2013, 01:16 AM   #37
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Actually, if you assume Sulu's line "He just jumped 30m!" refers to the gap in the saucer, then the ship's length is about 850m.

I think people will be shocked when the new official numbers come out on the BluRay extras.

Last edited by WarpFactorZ; June 13 2013 at 01:28 AM.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 01:28 AM   #38
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post

Actually, if you assume Sulu's line "He just jumped 30m!" refers to the gap in the saucer, then the ship's length is coincidentally about 750m.

I think people will be shocked when the new official numbers come out on the BluRay extras.
I think I'd really like it if that argument didn't keep getting raised outside of the thread expressly provided for the purpose.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 02:19 AM   #39
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Actually, if you assume Sulu's line "He just jumped 30m!" refers to the gap in the saucer
Or if you assume Sulu knows what he's talking about and/or isn't just eyeballing the distance without really measuring it.

E.g. "He just jumped, like, thirty meters!"
Old June 13 2013, 03:16 AM   #40
nightwind1
Commodore

DaleC76 wrote: View Post
I don't mind it being underwater. I just hate seeing it sail through the air.
Yeah, that never happened before...

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 03:39 AM   #41
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Actually, if you assume Sulu's line "He just jumped 30m!" refers to the gap in the saucer
Or if you assume Sulu knows what he's talking about and/or isn't just eyeballing the distance without really measuring it.

They were using sensors to locate him, not eyeballed guesstimates.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 04:43 AM   #42
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post

They were using sensors to locate him, not eyeballed guesstimates.
Were they using sensors to measure -- down to the centimeter -- the exact distance of his jump?

Better question: if you were tracking Khan though, say, the optics pod of a Predator drone, would you even be able to tell with any accuracy how far that jump really was?
Old June 13 2013, 05:40 AM   #43
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

shatastrophic wrote: View Post
Well if what happens is a few fusion reactors creating a bubble which lightens the ship's mass causing it to have unprecedented rates of acceleration, what are the giant glowing red ports on the back of the saucer for?
Those are the impulse engines. Here is a blueprint - it's not the Abrams version, but I can't imagine that something like that would be any different. (I can't seem to find blueprints of the Abramsprise online.)

I don't know if increasing the mass of something in space causes deceleration per the theroy, maybe it does. Do suns slow their respective galactic speed as they go to red giants?
If they do slow down, it's not because they've gained mass - if anything, they've lost it. Some red giants - typically toward the end of their red giant phase - blow off the outer parts of their atmosphere.

Their rotation would slow down due to the conservation of angular momentum, but not their actual motion, unless they were acted upon by an outside gravitational force.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an astronomer or physicist - just an enthusiast. I do have a math degree, but with a very small number of exceptions, I haven't had to do any higher mathematics in a little over 20 years.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:38 AM   #44
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Actually, if you assume Sulu's line "He just jumped 30m!" refers to the gap in the saucer, then the ship's length is coincidentally about 750m.

I think I'd really like it if that argument didn't keep getting raised outside of the thread expressly provided for the purpose.
A thread where I am still patiently awaiting a reply from WarpFactorZ.
Old June 13 2013, 11:41 AM   #45
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ex Astris Scientia is a perfect example for all what is wrong with today's fandom. See here http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...mment.htm#size

Spent too much time playing Starfleet Battles and know mistrusting anything that does not look like a kitbash
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote