Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 13 2013, 12:05 AM   #91
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^Indeed...if, as speculated by some, the name and number had been changed to suit Kirk's crew, perhaps the ship's old name and number were restored after that crew stepped down, to make way for the new Enterprise.
Interesting idea.
Old June 13 2013, 12:06 AM   #92
Sran
Commodore

^Indeed...if, as speculated by some, the name and number had been changed to suit Kirk's crew, perhaps the ship's old name and number were restored after that crew stepped down, to make way for the new Enterprise.
Yes. I don't see why the ship would have to be scrapped. It was damaged in the battle with Chang's ship but should still have been flyable after minor repairs. Even in the twenty third century, it's probably not easy to build new vessels, so scrapping them just because their crews are moving on doesn't make a lot of sense.

--Sran
Old June 13 2013, 12:10 AM   #93
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

I didn't think that it made much sense to suggest that the main crew were all retiring at once, either, since there was more than a twenty-year age difference from oldest to youngest...and Chekov should have been the captain of the Ent-B...but that's another issue....
The Old Building & Loan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:16 AM   #94
Sran
Commodore

I didn't think that it made much sense to suggest that the main crew were all retiring at once, either, since there was more than a twenty-year age difference from oldest to youngest...and Chekov should have been the captain of the Ent-B...but that's another issue....
Well, if you believe the novels, only Kirk and Scotty actually retired. Spock took a teaching position at Starfleet Academy similar to what he did during TWOK. McCoy worked at Starfleet Medical. Uhura worked for Starfleet Intelligence. Chekov transferred to Excelsior to be Sulu's executive officer.

--Sran
Old June 13 2013, 12:59 AM   #95
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

For me, the reveal was not so much a surprise as it was a relief. To me Star Trek was the Enterprise. How can you have Star Trek without the Enterprise. So going into the movie I was more anxious to see what ship they got. I hoped it would be very similar to the one they had. I did fear that they were going to get the Excelsior.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 01:05 AM   #96
Sran
Commodore

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
I did fear that they were going to get the Excelsior.
Would you have cared if they'd renamed it Enterprise?

--Sran
Old June 13 2013, 01:18 AM   #97
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
I did fear that they were going to get the Excelsior.
Would you have cared if they'd renamed it Enterprise?

--Sran
For me, at 15, the Enterprise in the first three movies was Star Trek. It needed to be the same class ship or very similar to work for me. The Excelsior didn't have the grace that the other did. Renaming it wouldn't have helped. With that being said the "D" was even worse.
Old June 13 2013, 01:23 AM   #98
Sran
Commodore

For me, at 15, the Enterprise in the first three movies was Star Trek. It needed to be the same class ship or very similar to work for me. The Excelsior didn't have the grace that the other did. Renaming it wouldn't have helped. With that being said the "D" was even worse.
What did you think when you saw the Enterprise-B in Generations?

--Sran
Old June 13 2013, 01:26 AM   #99
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

What did you think when you saw the Enterprise-B in Generations?

--Sran
By that point the Star Trek that I really enjoyed was over. This was a new Star Trek, an expansion. I didn't have as much emotionally invested in it like I did the other. So it was just a meh for me.
Old June 13 2013, 01:29 AM   #100
Sran
Commodore

By that point the Star Trek that I really enjoyed was over. This was a new Star Trek, an expansion. I didn't have as much emotionally invested in it like I did the other. So it was just a meh for me.
I remember feeling that way when I first got into Trek. The Enterprise was like a main character, and I didn't like having any ship other than her.

--Sran
Old June 13 2013, 02:02 AM   #101
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Yes. I don't see why the ship would have to be scrapped. It was damaged in the battle with Chang's ship but should still have been flyable after minor repairs.
Judging from Into Darkness, they can repair far worse.
Old June 13 2013, 02:06 AM   #102
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I remember feeling that way when I first got into Trek. The Enterprise was like a main character, and I didn't like having any ship other than her.
"A ship's a ship."
Old June 13 2013, 02:28 AM   #103
Sran
Commodore

Belz... wrote: View Post
Judging from Into Darkness, they can repair far worse.
How are the events of a different timeline applicable to anything in the primary universe?

--Sran
Old June 13 2013, 02:46 AM   #104
mos6507
Captain

It was a surprise to me, and kind of a punch-line in a way, the -A, which then became institutionalized with the -D, -C, and -B. The resurrection of the ship, at least visually, matched the fact that they resurrected Spock in the prior picture. So it was a crowd-pleasing moment, even though it was also an economical choice.

When I saw Trek III I could have sworn they blew up the original model. That destruction sequence was very convincing, and I was perhaps just as worried that the magnificent model had been destroyed than the idea of the Enterprise as a fictional ship being destroyed. So I was glad to have that reassurance that the model was alive and well again, just with the -A added.

I also remember being very impressed by the new bridge with the first ever touchscreen okudagram panels. However, in retrospect I now prefer the tactile button look of the earlier bridge. The Trek VI bridge with its darker tones was a good compromise between the two.

Because the Excelsior was demonized so much in Trek III I always hated it. However, how it was treated in VI as Sulu's ship kind of redeemed the class. It still looked wrong as the basis of the Enterprise-B and was clearly evident as a cost-cutting measure rather than making a new model.
Old June 13 2013, 02:56 AM   #105
Sran
Commodore

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Because the Excelsior was demonized so much in Trek III I always hated it. However, how it was treated in VI as Sulu's ship kind of redeemed the class. It still looked wrong as the basis of the Enterprise-B and was clearly evident as a cost-cutting measure rather than making a new model.
I never hated the Excelsior and remember being happy that Sulu was its captain in Star Trek VI. It was Styles who bothered me. I hope Starfleet punished his incompetence by taking away the swagger stick that he always carried with him.

--Sran