Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.38%
A 161 21.67%
A- 100 13.46%
B+ 82 11.04%
B 58 7.81%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.71%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 12 2013, 04:43 PM   #4186
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Great post, Ovation.
Old June 12 2013, 05:00 PM   #4187
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
But why do people condemn one version of Trek for doing something that another version they liked did?
My favourite movie and my least favourite movie both have actors in. I guess it's hypocritical to favour one over the other.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:13 PM   #4188
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
But why do people condemn one version of Trek for doing something that another version they liked did?
My favourite movie and my least favourite movie both have actors in. I guess it's hypocritical to favour one over the other.
No. But you are making a specious argument.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:15 PM   #4189
BillJ
Admiral

The sad thing is, you likely believe that is what everyone is talking about.
Old June 12 2013, 05:15 PM   #4190
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Ovation: Nit-picking stuff such as warp speed/travel time in Abrams' Trek but giving TOS a pass is symptomatic of wider concerns that are far too nebulous to provide any real basis for argument. It's widely accepted that "I didn't like it, erm, because" just doesn't hold water so it's easy to nit-pick specific items that may not hold up in isolation due to movies being more than the sum of their parts.
Old June 12 2013, 05:19 PM   #4191
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

You're right. I'm most likely an idiot.
Old June 12 2013, 05:22 PM   #4192
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If the poster holds previous Trek films up as something that nuTrek should aspire to, then criticism of the current movies for "flaws" that are evident in the old movies is irrelevant.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:26 PM   #4193
BillJ
Admiral

You're right. I'm most likely an idiot.
Nope. But when you dig in on a certain position, it becomes harder and harder to dig out. Trust me I use to be a master at digging the hole so deep that no argument, no matter how rational, could drill its way though my thick skull.

I can understand the argument that the story doesn't work, the actors don't fit the part, dislike the set designs, dislike the spaceship designs, dislike lens-flares...

But when we're nitpicking things that have happened in pretty much every incarnation of Trek, I think perspective has been lost. We're down to some posters complaining about Spock running because it looks awkward. Nimoy looked awkward when he ran and I've never seen a single person lodge that as a complaint against TOS.
Old June 12 2013, 05:37 PM   #4194
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Not to mention that Quinto and Cumberbatch both resemble track runners a lot more than most actors I've seen in similar situations (all out run).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 06:42 PM   #4195
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the Red Letter Media review of STID sums up my feelings about the movie pretty well.

Don't know if it's been brought up already, but here it is: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-th...into-darkness/ (45 Minutes long)
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 06:44 PM   #4196
BillJ
Admiral

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
I think the Red Letter Media review of STID sums up my feelings about the movie pretty well.

Don't know if it's been brought up already, but here it is: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-th...into-darkness/ (45 Minutes long)
I'm not watching a forty-five minute review of a two-hour movie.
Old June 12 2013, 07:03 PM   #4197
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

It's been posted on the board somewhere, already.
Old June 12 2013, 07:13 PM   #4198
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not watching a forty-five minute review of a two-hour movie.
It's more of a discussion.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:15 PM   #4199
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

There is, in fact, a whole thread covering that (as Shazam! could no doubt have told you.) But rather than simply posting a link to a lengthy review with which some may not be familiar and saying "There - that's what I think," why not describe your feelings about the movie in your own words?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:40 PM   #4200
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

But when we're nitpicking things that have happened in pretty much every incarnation of Trek, I think perspective has been lost
But we can't qualify every complaint. Unless we literally start accepting "because!" as a reasonable argument there will always be holes and / or elements or hypocrisy in anyone's opinions.

We're down to some posters complaining about Spock running because it looks awkward. Nimoy looked awkward when he ran and I've never seen a single person lodge that as a complaint against TOS.
Probably because they like TOS / Nimoy more - why would anyone moan about the thing they like? I just read criticism such as that as "and here's another thing..." type of a minor nitpick that of course doesn't hold up to scrutiny but is indicative of the poster's feelings of the movie as a whole.