Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 12 2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Is TAS worth watching in my complete Star Trek marathon?

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
And among other ground that's broken by the series, is the first use of the holodeck in Once Upon A Planet.
Actually that was "The Practical Joker" (where it was just called the recreation room). "Once Upon a Planet" was a sequel to "Shore Leave," set on the amusement park planet; a holodeck would've been redundant.

Although that's another detail that was ignored by later productions, since early TNG treated holodecks, at least aboard starships, as a brand-new innovation. Then again, later series pretty much retconned that too, since VGR established that Janeway (who was the same age as Riker) had grown up with children's holoprograms, and ENT had the technology existing as far back as 2151.

Which just goes to show that canon and continuity are not the same thing; something can be part of the canon and still have parts of its continuity ignored. Canon just means the core body of work from the main creators, whether it's consistent with itself or not. TAS was executive-produced by Roddenberry and Fontana, with Roddenberry's Norway Productions as the co-producers with Filmation, and with Fontana as what we'd now call the showrunner, with Paramount distributing. I'd say that makes it from the main creators of the franchise.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:43 PM   #17
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think it all depends on the OP's feelings towards TOS. If the OP finishes TOS and is thirsty for more then I'd say TAS is a must-see.

Personally, I adore it. M'Ress is one of my favourite Star Trek characters ever because I'm an elitist cunt. The writing quality is generally very good and makes up for the subpar animation, and it's a thrill to hear the cast back.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

^I quibble with "subpar animation." "Par" means the expected average for a particular thing or category, and if the category we're talking about is 1970s television animation from the United States, I'd put Filmation's work above par. True, it had limited motion and a lot of repetition, but the quality of the artwork was superior to contemporary shows from Hanna-Barbera.

Although I would agree that the animation in TAS's first season was somewhat below par for Filmation itself, because the network imposed an insanely tight deadline and they had to rush production. The final six episodes had a more leisurely schedule and the quality is better.

Old June 12 2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Statja Q'bel
Ensign

I've actually enjoyed TAS, and my 5 year old son likes it too. While he sometimes watches TOS with us, he is more interested in the animation. Which, in my view, is a great start for a kid to enjoy Star Trek with his parents.
Old June 12 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
The reason I am asking is cause I heard that TAS isn't canon.
I'm amazed that myth still persists. In 1989, Gene Roddenberry issued a memo delineating his view of what was part of the canon. He excluded TAS largely because there were some legal questions over its ownership at the time (since it was a co-production with Filmation, a studio that was going out of business at the time). But Roddenberry died two years later, and once he was no longer the executive producer of the franchise, his definitions of what constituted canon were no longer binding. Ever since, various Trek producers have been inserting references to concepts from TAS, like Kor calling his ship the Klothos in DS9. Heck, the Spock-childhood scenes in the 2009 movie were practically a remake of scenes from "Yesteryear." And StarTrek.com and Memory Alpha include TAS in their "canon-only" reference materials.

So out of the 40 years that TAS has existed, there were only about two years during which it was officially treated as non-canonical. Roddenberry was the only Trek showrunner who ever made a point of excluding it, and he's been gone for nearly 22 years.

Granted, there are some individual episodes of TAS that have been ignored or contradicted by later productions. "The Magicks of Megas-tu" portrays the center of the galaxy as something that can be reached in a short amount of time, which is contradicted by DS9 and VGR (but then, ST V has the same problem). "The Slaver Weapon" portrays Trek history in a way that can't be reconciled with what later series established. But then, there are episodes of the live-action shows that have also been contradicted. "The Alternative Factor" portrays dilithium and antimatter in a way that contradicted what came before as well as being ignored by what came after. VGR: "Fury" made assertions about the difficulty of changing course during warp that were never honored at any time before or since, while "Threshold" was explicitly declared apocryphal by its own writer.

So you can't really talk about an entire series' canon status as a unit. Canon is a mutable thing, continuity-wise. Any long-running canon will retcon or ignore inconvenient ideas or mistakes from its past, but the broad strokes of the series will still be assumed to have happened. Some TAS episodes do need to be taken with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean the whole isn't worthwhile.

After all, TAS is the one Trek sequel series that was made largely by TOS veterans. D.C. Fontana was effectively its showrunner. About half the episodes were written by veterans of TOS (more than half if you count the ones written by Walter Koenig and director Marc Daniels). It reunited most of the TOS cast and brought back several of its guest stars including Mark Lenard, Roger C. Carmel, and Stanley Adams, as well as giving us new stories about characters like Kor and Koloth (albeit not with the original actors in those cases). It was explicitly designed to be effectively a direct continuation of the original series (which is why it was called simply Star Trek instead of something like, oh, The New Adventures of Star Trek, as per Filmation's usual title convention). And to a fair extent, it succeeded, at least as well as any '70s Saturday morning cartoon possibly could have.

Not to mention that TAS is the only Star Trek television series ever to win a non-technical Emmy Award. Even TNG never achieved that.

So yes, TAS is absolutely worth watching. It features things that no other Trek series can provide. It has its limitations, but it also has many virtues and is a significant part of Trek history.

Agree. Yes watch it.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:01 PM   #21
marksound
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think it all depends on the OP's feelings towards TOS. If the OP finishes TOS and is thirsty for more then I'd say TAS is a must-see.

Personally, I adore it. M'Ress is one of my favourite Star Trek characters ever because I'm an elitist cunt. The writing quality is generally very good and makes up for the subpar animation, and it's a thrill to hear the cast back.
You misspelled "super."
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:18 PM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

True, it had limited motion and a lot of repetition, but the quality of the artwork was superior to contemporary shows from Hanna-Barbera.
There were also various infamous errors: wrong colors, misaligned cells, continuity errors of the wrong character appearing in a place, and so forth. You have to be able to accept those in stride.

I really like TAS. At the time it ran, I had only seen a minority of TOS, and it carried me through.

TAS has a few excellent episodes, a lot of good ones, and many intriguing concepts. Every Trek series has episodes that are worse than the best of TAS. Even though it was a Saturday morning cartoon, it was capable of mature themes worthy of any Trek series.

Especially if your goal is to watch all Trek, TAS is essential.
Old June 12 2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Harvey
Admiral

I think it suffers from a lot of limitations (budgetary, length, time slot for children) but it could also be as visually imaginative as anything the franchise has produced. If anything, watch "Yesteryear." It's the most essential episode of the series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 10:04 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
True, it had limited motion and a lot of repetition, but the quality of the artwork was superior to contemporary shows from Hanna-Barbera.
There were also various infamous errors: wrong colors, misaligned cells, continuity errors of the wrong character appearing in a place, and so forth. You have to be able to accept those in stride.
Again, though, you got the same kind of errors in H-B's shows all the time. And in a lot of the animated shows of the '80s and the cheaper ones of the '90s. These days, with animation being entirely digital even in "traditional" 2D-animated shows, it's become easier and less expensive to retake or repair animation mistakes than it was in the past.

Old June 13 2013, 12:00 AM   #25
marksound
Fleet Captain

Without using the qualifier "for its time," I think TAS was very well done. Filmation did a lot with very little. In my opinion no other animation house could have done it better.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 02:41 AM   #26
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Without using the qualifier "for its time," I think TAS was very well done. Filmation did a lot with very little. In my opinion no other animation house could have done it better.
Hear, Hear!...

As in "I Heard Dat!"
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:58 AM   #27
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

TAS is the only trek I have not seen. I will be watching it soon, as I am a completionist.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:14 AM   #28
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

TAS was my introduction to Star Trek in the 1970s, during its original run on Saturday mornings.

I was thrilled to receive TAS on DVD as a Father's Day present. Hopefully, they will finish the TAS Blu-ray set soon.

The Animated Series is often considered the 4th season of TOS. I highly recommend watching it!
Old June 13 2013, 08:03 AM   #29
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Hopefully, they will finish the TAS Blu-ray set soon.
Is this actively being worked on? Beyond some speculation a few months ago I've not heard anything about a TAS BD project. I really hope it's coming - I'll be there day and date!
Old June 13 2013, 02:00 PM   #30
bbailey861
Admiral

Yes, I think TAS is worth watching. I am not particularly fond of Filmation's animation either, but as many have noted, it is on par with what was offered to us in the 70's. It certainly is worth watching if you haven't seen them before. I still put a disc on from time to time, but I often find myself running through a few of the episodes listening to the story as opposed to 'watching' the story.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote