February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 11 2013, 09:47 PM   #16
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: The TOS Recreation Room(s) Sets

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Yes, although I don't think the ship has, like, 30 different transporter rooms, and 5 different engineering rooms, three different briefing rooms, two different auxillary contol rooms, two different anti-grav/pressure chambers, and four different sickbays. It sounds like it migh become a ship that only has enough room for all the different permutations of every set we saw and no space left for all the stuff we didn't see.
Arent't you feeling too pesimistic about that? Deck 5 does have plenty of space that still needs filling, not to mention the large Deck 6.

So is it you "don't think" or you "don't like"?
  • considering the different variations of transporter rooms and their adjacent corridors (blue pressure door vs. red turbo lift door), we are looking at least at three different versions. The one from "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" is opposite "Briefing Room 2", the one from "This Side of Paradise" is opposite "Computer Statistics" and the one from "Elaan of Troyius" is opposite "Electrographic Analysis".
  • The Season One engine room ("Engineering Control Room") differs noticably in many regards from the Season Two engine room ("Engineering Section"), e.g. height, alignment with the central ship's axis, outside corridors etc. In "The Naked Time" Scotty makes a ship wide call, apparently from the ECR, addressing "engine rooms" thus there are at least two or possibly three.
  • assuming the "conference lounge" seen in WNM was actually Briefing Room 1 (removed along with Main Deck 2 prior to "The Corbomite Maneuver"), Briefing Room 2 moved up in rank and substituted for Briefing Room 1. I'm not aware of a "Briefing Room 3" door sign
  • I only see one Auxiliary Control Room. Life Support Control ("By Any Other Name") featured a different position of the master control table and had two features on the wall ACR did not have (in "I, Mudd")
  • The hyperbaric chambers suggest two different locations. The one from "Space Seed" "faces" the door of the Season One engine room, the one from "The Lights of Zetar" faces the briefing room.
  • The "astro-medicine ward 4" door sign made its first appearance in WNM, the second pilot. Apparently there have to be at least four medical wards.
  • And last but not least we have at least six recreation rooms judging by the door sign "Recreation Room 6". According to "Mark of Gideon" RR 6 is at a strange corridor intersection (my guess: Deck 4) where there's an "environmental ladder" on the mirrored side, too. This one is different from RR6 in "Let That Be..." where Spock listened to Lokai's speech though he open door. I presume this one to be near ACR ("And the Children...") and in the engineering hull as I don't believe myself that each deck has 6 rec rooms (just for the fun, I'd like to see all of these visualized on Deck 3... )
Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:58 PM   #17
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Yes, although I don't think the ship has, like, 30 different transporter rooms, and 5 different engineering rooms, three different briefing rooms, two different auxillary contol rooms, two different anti-grav/pressure chambers, and four different sickbays. It sounds like it migh become a ship that only has enough room for all the different permutations of every set we saw and no space left for all the stuff we didn't see.
Arent't you feeling too pesimistic about that? Deck 5 does have plenty of space that still needs filling, not to mention the large Deck 6.

So is it you "don't think" or you "don't like"?
  • considering the different variations of transporter rooms and their adjacent corridors (blue pressure door vs. red turbo lift door), we are looking at least at three different versions. The one from "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" is opposite "Briefing Room 2", the one from "This Side of Paradise" is opposite "Computer Statistics" and the one from "Elaan of Troyius" is opposite "Electrographic Analysis".
  • The Season One engine room ("Engineering Control Room") differs noticably in many regards from the Season Two engine room ("Engineering Section"), e.g. height, alignment with the central ship's axis, outside corridors etc. In "The Naked Time" Scotty makes a ship wide call, apparently from the ECR, addressing "engine rooms" thus there are at least two or possibly three.
  • assuming the "conference lounge" seen in WNM was actually Briefing Room 1 (removed along with Main Deck 2 prior to "The Corbomite Maneuver"), Briefing Room 2 moved up in rank and substituted for Briefing Room 1. I'm not aware of a "Briefing Room 3" door sign
  • I only see one Auxiliary Control Room. Life Support Control ("By Any Other Name") featured a different position of the master control table and had two features on the wall ACR did not have (in "I, Mudd")
  • The hyperbaric chambers suggest two different locations. The one from "Space Seed" "faces" the door of the Season One engine room, the one from "The Lights of Zetar" faces the briefing room.
  • The "astro-medicine ward 4" door sign made its first appearance in WNM, the second pilot. Apparently there have to be at least four medical wards.
  • And last but not least we have at least six recreation rooms judging by the door sign "Recreation Room 6". According to "Mark of Gideon" RR 6 is at a strange corridor intersection (my guess: Deck 4) where there's an "environmental ladder" on the mirrored side, too. This one is different from RR6 in "Let That Be..." where Spock listened to Lokai's speech though he open door. I presume this one to be near ACR ("And the Children...") and in the engineering hull as I don't believe myself that each deck has 6 rec rooms (just for the fun, I'd like to see all of these visualized on Deck 3... )
Bob
You've watched a bit of Star Trek in your time!
Old June 11 2013, 10:23 PM   #18
Robert Comsol
Commodore

plynch wrote: View Post
You've watched a bit of Star Trek in your time!
I did back in the '70s and '80s, but my current project to reproduce onscreen accurate deck plans has given me a great opportunity to rediscover TOS and the glory of all its little details.

OT: There is a growing suspicion I can't get out of my system.

Looking at your comments and those of other TOS old-timers it almost seems to me that we prefer our lady to look nicely dressed with interiors that do not feel sterile but inviting so that we could picture ourselves taking an adventure cruise with her to explore the wonders of space.

In contrast there seems to be another faction that prefers the ship to be armed to the teeth with all kinds of weaponry, prefers a sterile look more reminiscent of a submarine and tries to rationalize exterior windows away on behalf of sensors and the like.

I don't think the latter one is anything Gene Roddenberry or Matt Jefferies ever had in mind...

Bob
Old June 12 2013, 03:59 AM   #19
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I definitely prefer the rarely-used S3 rec dec as an inviting place rather than the bleak room with bare tables. I always thought people's quarters always look too neat and not lived in. I suppose they're military folks and it has to be ship shape. (Though the Coast Boat I toured was a pit inside.)

Last edited by plynch; June 12 2013 at 02:18 PM.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Robert Comsol
Commodore

plynch wrote: View Post
I always thought people's quarters always look too neat and not loved in. I suppose they're military filks and it has to be ship shape.
In the "Space Art in TOS" thread GSchnitzer provided some original interviews, according to which Gene Roddenberry himself felt the cabins to be too sterile which is why they bought these (lost ) space art paintings by Mike Minor to add some color and warmth.

It would have been nice to see more cabins in a fashion similar to Spock's in "Amok Time" and later.

Bob
Old June 12 2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Mytran
Fleet Captain

The evolving nature of the crew quarters adds (IMO) to the feeling of time passing and the crew getting settled in.
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
OT: There is a growing suspicion I can't get out of my system.

Looking at your comments and those of other TOS old-timers it almost seems to me that we prefer our lady to look nicely dressed with interiors that do not feel sterile but inviting so that we could picture ourselves taking an adventure cruise with her to explore the wonders of space.

In contrast there seems to be another faction that prefers the ship to be armed to the teeth with all kinds of weaponry, prefers a sterile look more reminiscent of a submarine and tries to rationalize exterior windows away on behalf of sensors and the like.

I don't think the latter one is anything Gene Roddenberry or Matt Jefferies ever had in mind...
Armed to the teeth? Maybe not. But the show evokes a "submarine mentality" more than once; there is a near total absence of windows in the recreation rooms, the crew quarters and public spaces. When characters do gaze out at the stars (which only happens twice that we see) it is established as an unusual event. The portrayal of shipboard life then is one confined within the bulkheads and the crew have little interest in stargazing - it's just a place to work, as far as they are concerned.

The Enterprise as initially designed did not have windows, at least not in the number that the final model possessed. It was Roddenberry that insisted upon them (and Jefferies dutifully added). So even from the beginning there were two differing design/aesthetic outlooks; MJ disliked windows because they were unneccessary and were points of structural weakness in a real life vessel, GR liked them because they provided a sense of scale and made the ship look pretty.

In any case, we are left with these lit up circles and rectangles on the side of our ship. Interpreting most of them as sensor pallettes is not too much of a stretch, I think (YMMV)
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote