Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 28 2013, 03:51 PM   #166
Jag2112
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Every Star Trek Blueprint in existence!?!

Hey everyone-

It's been a couple of months since the last update to the Star Trek LCARS Blueprints dB site.

I'm working on some additions now which I hope to have online soon.

I'm also taking requests from the plethora of technical manuals that I have in my possession. So if you're interested in putting in a request for a tech-manual to be scanned/uploaded, let me know (more info on how to put in a request is available HERE.

Finally, on a non-Trek related matter which I hope you'll all forgive me for asking, but I could use some support from my Trek friends.

Those of you who know me or my site (Cygnus-X1.net) know that I'm also a fan of the rock band Rush. I'm currently enrolled in a contest to try and win some tickets to an upcoming Rush concert, along with some other goodies.

The contest is based on public votes...so if I could humbly ask for your support and votes, I would REALLY appreciate it.

You can cast your vote directly at this LINK. One vote per IP address per day is permitted.

Thanks everyone!

-John

Jag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 09:32 PM   #167
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

I voted for ya and Emailed a request
Old May 29 2013, 05:29 PM   #168
chrislyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am sooo confused and need your help. there is so much talk about blueprints but from what I've read the focus is on blueprints that were commercially made.
Is this correct? I bought a framed blueprint (on real blueprint paper) of the NCC 1700 -3 views, made by los Alamos labs (DoD). Does anyone know why this autocad blueprint was made by them and if there are any others in existence?
Old May 31 2013, 04:36 PM   #169
Bernard Guignard
Captain

chrislyn wrote: View Post
I am sooo confused and need your help. there is so much talk about blueprints but from what I've read the focus is on blueprints that were commercially made.
Is this correct? I bought a framed blueprint (on real blueprint paper) of the NCC 1700 -3 views, made by los Alamos labs (DoD). Does anyone know why this autocad blueprint was made by them and if there are any others in existence?
Chryslin
I answered this question earlier in the thread go to this link

http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=237
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:45 PM   #170
publiusr
Commodore

I voted, just to let you know.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 06:52 PM   #171
Jag2112
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks all!

Jag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:21 AM   #172
chrislyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

@Bernard you are AMAZING!! but i'm trying to put the pieces together. that link shows "an early version of unigraphics" do you mean autocad? was autocad an early version of unigraphics? Also, why was los Alamos labs producing these images? I have an original framed autocad blueprint of the image from the link. what do I have?
Old June 12 2013, 02:29 PM   #173
B.J.
Rear Admiral

@Bernard you are AMAZING!! but i'm trying to put the pieces together. that link shows "an early version of unigraphics" do you mean autocad? was autocad an early version of unigraphics? Also, why was los Alamos labs producing these images? I have an original framed autocad blueprint of the image from the link. what do I have?
AutoCAD and Unigraphics (now called NX) are two different CAD packages, and neither was an early version of the other. As for your framed blueprint, does it actually say "AutoCAD" on it?
Old June 13 2013, 12:29 AM   #174
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Hello Chrislyn
As BJ says Unigraphics is its own software. As the article says
the drawing file was used to to check plotters IE Very Large Printers and display screen refresh rates. We are talking the Infancy of cad here. Every plotter and Display manufacturer did things differently. So you needed to calibrate your plotter and Displays with your computer system.
I came across the Unigraphics Uss Enterprise File, while I was studying drafting this was 1987.
I was learning how to use the McAUTO Unigraphics software on the college mainframe. In order to operate the College's Unigraphics software at the time you had the following. 2 large screens one for the display, one showing the commands and sub menus. a command box where you entered your main commands, Ie Line, Circle, Box etc. A joystick with a button on top. pick points on the display screen. as well a your key board for typing in text. It was quite a Large clunky system

Under the heading FEB 1985 there is a picture showing that is very close to what I was using at the time. the college had a VAX mainframe.
http://www.plmworld.org/index.php?mo=cm&op=ld&fid=234

At lunch times I/d go down to the Unigraphics lab and Kitbash from that same file the other FJ ships as well as some SFB ones. I then plotted them out on 24 x 36 inch sheets made 3 sets One for my self one for a friend who helped me and one for the Drafting teacher for his son.

You asked about Commercial value. Well the only value would be the frame that the drawing is in. It was never a commercial item. Any one who had access to the Unigraphics software and a ploter and had that sample drawing could produce that drawing. You said yours is on actual blueprint paper. Then someone plotted it to vellum, then made a blueprint copy.
Please note that old fashion blueprints are very sensitive to light and will fade over time.

If anyone has a DXF version of this cad file and wouldn't mind sharing it I'd love to get a copy for sentiments sake

I hope this helps you
Old June 13 2013, 03:07 PM   #175
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ I'd love to see the original UG file. I currently use NX6 at work, it would be interesting to see if it would load!
Old June 15 2013, 04:50 AM   #176
chrislyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Bernard, thanks for your very thorough explanation. I guess i'm trying to find out why this was done at los Alamos labs and why it was framed. this link shows exactly what I've got (but on blueprint paper) http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=237 as is mentioned on the unigraphics site, the image was created at los Alamos and used to test plotters. i'm waiting to hear back from a few more experts in this area but i'm thinking perhaps mine is a hard copy of the original unigraphics image. fascinating.
Old June 15 2013, 04:56 AM   #177
chrislyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi BJ, thanks for the clarification. The blueprint says both "autocad/unigraphics cad/cam drawing" and "created by los Alamos laboratories" in the bottom left corner.
Old June 16 2013, 12:16 PM   #178
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Hi Chrislyn
I'd speculate that Los Alamos purchased the Unigraphics software and one of the Draftspersons who was learning the soft ware at the time decided to do some extra training time and draw out the Enterprise as its subject matter. Some of us Drafting types are huge Star Trek fans and we enjoyed Franz josephs blueprints so much that we became Draftspersons because of them.
The Unigraphics person training him might have liked the subject matter so much that they asked for a copy of the file which was used by the Unigraphics company then distributed as a sample file with each copy of Unigraphics sold.

All speculation but I bet you that this is the most logical answer that you will get. Short of tracking down the draftsperson who actually drew the computer file.
Old June 16 2013, 03:46 PM   #179
chrislyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

very possible, except the blueprint is commercially framed. I would think that someone fooling around with the software wouldn't have it commercially framed. thanks for your info though, its fascinating.
Old June 16 2013, 07:07 PM   #180
chrislyn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

also worth noting, what I have is the exact item mentioned in the unigraphics link you gave me a while back http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=237 which specifically mentions los Alamos as the creator of the image. what is the likelihood that a random draftperson would create the exact image and have it commercially framed? something to ponder.