New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 11 2013, 11:27 PM   #16
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce
Re: "Heroes" could be uncancelled.

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Screw the Universe!
"UP THE UNIVERSE!"

(- from Alan Dean Foster's Flinx books.)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:52 PM   #17
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Even though I bailed on the series sometime after the second season, I'd be willing to give it a shot. They might have learned from their mistakes. The worst that would happen is that I'd bail again.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 12:02 AM   #18
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

HURRAY.

Now we can see Sylar turn from purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil.

EXCITED.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 01:10 AM   #19
Aldo
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
HURRAY.

Now we can see Sylar turn from purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil, to purely good, to purely evil.

EXCITED.
It's like you are read my mind
Old June 12 2013, 01:41 AM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
HURRAY.

EXCITED.
It's like you are read my mind
Avatars of a Feather, Think together [/Seven butchered Quote Mode]

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; June 12 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:24 AM   #21
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Reverend;8234515]
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
But I've never felt like going back and watching Heroes or Lost again. There's just no attraction.
I've gone back to Lost twice now. The characters are the attraction for me at this point.

Who cares about the mysteries that can never live up to their potential? That's just window dressing to keep something going as we watch the characters interact.

With good characters and solid writing, Heroes can be easily reborn.

Besides, storywise, I've always thought Heroes was paper thin and poorly executed, the first season more than the others. But I liked watching Hiro and Andy, Noah, and (some of) the rest.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:35 AM   #22
Aldo
Admiral

Judging by some of the comments here, I think I'm the only one that enjoyed Season 3, when the government was hunting them down and rounding them up. It had a certain X-Men feel to it.

One issue I had with the show (and I admit this is rather nitpicky) is that of all the people who gained powers, you'd think there'd be one guy out there who was a comic book fan and would dress up in a suit fighting crime.
Old June 12 2013, 02:39 AM   #23
Candlelight
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I still haven't watched Season 4.
I got about 3 episodes in then never watched anymore, although it was mainly due to a number of other shows that were appearing at the time (and the fact I'd just become a father to twin boys so my time was limited).

I had wondered how the season went but never went back, and the show then got cancelled so I missed out. Would probably catch it again if I could. The first season was great though.

I heard Tim whats-his-name did want to introduce lots of new characters each season and only a few would carry over each subsequent season, but was ordered by the powers that be to retain the core cast.
Old June 12 2013, 07:47 AM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

Yes I heard that TBTB (i.e the network) interferred. Sometimes netowrk interferrance can be a good thing, in this case I think it was a bad thing. They told a fairly complete story in S1 of heroes, it would have been interesting to see what they could have done in S2 with new characters.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 08:49 AM   #25
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I still maintain that whatever happened later, the end of the first season was very anti-climactic. I don't even remember the details beyond Sylar getting stabbed and crawling off into the sewers. Honestly, I'd rather they let him blow because that post apocalyptic future episode was *way* more interesting than what they ended up doing.

As for Lost...I have tried to watch it again a few time. Never got much more then five episodes in before I lost interest. It's not because I know how it'll turn out, it's because there character on their own were never that interesting for me. Don't get me wrong, there are some very strong characters and good performances, but it's not enough to sustain my interest. This show has no "Londo & G'Kar" to hold it all together.

Actually, now that I think back, while individual performances were very good, the chemistry on that show was pretty damn poor in some very vital areas. At least that the impression I'm left with.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 10:43 AM   #26
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

^Didn't Nathan swoop in and fly Peter over the sea, and then Hiro time travelled back to Japan for some reason.

By the end of its run I was watching Heroes purely out of habit. I was pleasantly surprised by the season 4 finale and I thought it was interesting that Claire outed them, but by then it was too late (not that I'm sure they'd have been able avoid the problems anyway).

Ugh, I'm just remembering that whole stupid plot about Sylar taking over Nathan's body but then it turned out Nathan's mind had somehow survived. Ugh and the whole "Sylar is a Petrelli...oh no wait he's not."

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:14 AM   #27
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Heroes was the best portrayal of the path superhero franchises in the comic book medium take that I've ever seen.

It started off as exciting. Then became a mess of characters dying and being resurrected every other installment, heroes turning out to be related to each other, long-lost relatives being the villains, power swapping, characters switching between good and evil for no clear reason, and increasingly frequent resets in the mythology that made it unclear what was actually still canon.

It was a fairly accurate representation of modern Marvel and DC. Season 3 was so utterly incomprehensible that I had to quit. A show where absolutely any action in terms of both physical and the behaviour could be reset. Characters would switch backstories, powers and personalities every other episode. I've never seen a show with more frequent fucking around with the continuity. It made each episode completely lack consequence as anything could be reset.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 12:30 PM   #28
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think that the Season 1 finale would have had a little more punch if (presumably according to the creators' original concept) Nathan and Peter had died...or at least weren't brought back so immediately.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:36 PM   #29
stj
Rear Admiral

I don't like being threatened.

Stop it before I get nasty!

Old June 12 2013, 02:57 PM   #30
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Perhaps if Future Hiro would come back from the end of the Pilot, look around and say "No this is all wrong, the cheerleader must die." wiping out the continuity of the previous 4 seasons I might be interested.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote