RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,125
Posts: 5,595,730
Members: 25,392
Currently online: 574
Newest member: Joyce Tul lock

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 12 2013, 02:49 AM   #2026
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

mos6507 wrote: View Post
And then realize how bad JJ Trek is in comparison.
Or not.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:50 AM   #2027
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
A low budget doesn't necessarily correlate to a "cheap" appearance on screen.
Well..

I still think a lot of the "cheap" TV look from STVI is because it was filmed in Super 35.
OK, you think it looks "cheap" because it was shot on Super 35 - I don't agree. All the movies I own shot on Super 35, including Titanic and Terminator 2, do not, IMHO, look any the worse for it either.

What is it about Super 35 that makes it look "cheap" for you?
While this isn't a factor now, back then using Super 35 required you to go an extra generation optically, which made the picture grainier and more contrasty. If you plan it right it can look okay -- Cameron knew how to make it work, as you say.

But in the case of TUC's 70mm release on some screens, you're basically getting a third generation print, and a blowup ... which is why on some screens there was nothing but grain in the Kirk/McCoy bunkbed scene (for me it was like watching the movie at a drive-in with all the car headlights turned on.)

I don't see much of a problem with TUC on homevid, but I will grant that shooting anamorphic -- which is how the earlier films were lensed -- gets something unique in the image that shooting with spherical lenses does not deliver.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:08 AM   #2028
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Phily B wrote: View Post
One thing that I liked about these new movies is the people and kids who may discover the original TV shows, TNG etc
And then realize how bad JJ Trek is in comparison.
Umm, no. While you might wish this to happen, and it is certainly fine that you have this opinion of "JJ Trek" (as is your right), it is highly, highly unlikely that such a scenario would occur. If I were you, I wouldn't bet the college fund or the mortgage on it.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:32 AM   #2029
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Baseballs going to die out in a few decades anyway. After Buck Bokai wins the Series.
Yep. In 2042.
__________________
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:42 AM   #2030
Neumann
Captain
 
Neumann's Avatar
 
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Lets hope Paramount leaves as LONG AS THEY CAN I.D. in cinemas just to prove a point. After all it's the second best rated movie this summer (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides...corecard-2013/)
__________________
It's all about canon being violated! ;-)
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:06 AM   #2031
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
A low budget doesn't necessarily correlate to a "cheap" appearance on screen.
Well..

I still think a lot of the "cheap" TV look from STVI is because it was filmed in Super 35.
OK, you think it looks "cheap" because it was shot on Super 35 - I don't agree. All the movies I own shot on Super 35, including Titanic and Terminator 2, do not, IMHO, look any the worse for it either.

What is it about Super 35 that makes it look "cheap" for you?
I always thought it looked flat and washed out. Super 35 is kind of bargain basement film in a way(or used to be) it's a money saver, and it has to be blown up to be shown on widescreen. On TV its less of a problem but I just think the depth of field is off compared to cinemascope.


RAMA
__________________
You cannot go against nature
Because when you do
Go against nature
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:42 AM   #2032
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Do you mean there's too much depth-of-field? Because the main point of S35 is to be able to use spherical lenses instead of anamorphic. You don't need as much light to get an exposure, and if you're shooting close to wide open, your image is still acceptable, whereas anamorphic wide open just breaks down.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 06:48 AM   #2033
throwback
Captain
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Are movie cameras damaged when people shake them vigorously? The reason I ask this is because I saw a lot of this in the featurettes for the first film.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:04 AM   #2034
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

RAMA wrote: View Post
...but I just think the depth of field is off compared to cinemascope.
But Cinemascope's been dead as a format since...what...1967?
__________________
* * *
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
― Winston S. Churchill
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:13 AM   #2035
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

throwback wrote: View Post
Are movie cameras damaged when people shake them vigorously? The reason I ask this is because I saw a lot of this in the featurettes for the first film.
I remember seeing examples in behind-the-scenes footage of cameras being shaken, but I can't recall anything which would have led me to think that the cameras suffered any damage as a result.
__________________
As for literary criticism in general: I have long felt that any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel or a play or a poem is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae or a banana split. ~ Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 07:13 AM   #2036
throwback
Captain
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

According to Wikipedia,

CinemaScope's association with anamorphic projection is still so embedded in mass consciousness that all anamorphic prints are now referred to generically as "'Scope" prints.
In 2012, a Brazilian film director used Cinemascope for his film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinemascope
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 09:15 AM   #2037
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

mos6507 wrote: View Post
And then realize how bad JJ Trek is in comparison.
As a then "newbie fan", people told me this about ST:TMP all through 1980 and 1981. I eventually caught up with all the TOS and TAS I had missed since the 60s. Never changed my opinion of TMP one iota. Still love TMP!
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 10:21 AM   #2038
Dart
Commodore
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Location: Co. Kerry. Ireland
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Phily B wrote: View Post
I read a good article on Superman Returns that had my feelings summed up, I really wish they'd made a franchise out of that movie.
That's fantastic. I'm sick of young Clark Kent on a farm over and over.
__________________

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:11 AM   #2039
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Farms are boring. Enough already.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:29 AM   #2040
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain
 
M.A.C.O.'s Avatar
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Phily B wrote: View Post
I read a good article on Superman Returns that had my feelings summed up, I really wish they'd made a franchise out of that movie.
I doubt you'd be saying that had the sequel to Superman Returns been made. The rough summary about it was released a few years ago. Superman would've fought Brainiac. This after Brainiac fixed all the world's problems and had the world turn on Superman for never doing so. The big finale would be Brainiac transferring his mind in to Superman's super son and Superman being forced to kill his own child to save the planet.

ENOUGH WITH THE CHRIST ALLEGORIES IN SUPERMAN ALREADY. Superman Returns had enough of them.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.