Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 12 2013, 03:30 AM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Falling Skies - season 3

Do they Slave Skitters want to be slaves?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:02 AM   #77
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, am I the only one who was emotionally moved by the Skitter Red-Eye War Paint? No one else (that I've noticed) has mentioned it? Did I miss it's inclusion last season? I didn't see previews. was it in the previews? Just wondering why I was so moved by something no one else has mentioned
I assumed that the good skitters used it to distinguish themselves from the bad ones, like the "red sash" cylons in nuBSG: Daybreak.
Old June 12 2013, 04:10 AM   #78
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
So, am I the only one who was emotionally moved by the Skitter Red-Eye War Paint? No one else (that I've noticed) has mentioned it? Did I miss it's inclusion last season? I didn't see previews. was it in the previews? Just wondering why I was so moved by something no one else has mentioned
I assumed that the good skitters used it to distinguish themselves from the bad ones, like the "red sash" cylons in nuBSG: Daybreak.
But it was obviously in honor of The Skitter Freedom Fighter with the Eye injury that was referred to by the Humans as "Red-Eye" who gave his life for the cause. I was really sad to see him killed off last Season, they made me care about him/her/it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 09:30 AM   #79
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Yeah, I didn't mention it, but I noticed it. I thought that whole cavalry charge was pretty heart-tugging, which made the later anti-Skitter sentiment even worse.
Old June 12 2013, 02:29 PM   #80
stj
Rear Admiral

All good Christians and political conservatives believe in free will, so that crap about mind control is obviously an excuse. The skitters therefore are alien invaders and all deserve to die. And our heroes will most heroic if they can steel themselves to do the dirty work.

Of course, in the fictional universe it's absurd for the characters to believe that the skitters are morally culpable. Often the problem for SF is that the emergence, even in disguised form, of real issues (unlike most of television,) is still accompanied by moral cowardice. In a fictional context, some of the characters should be looking at the skitters as the aliens most likely, by far, to be genuine allies, who've earned a place on Earth. And those who don't think so are unlikely to be as badass as Pope, still the worst character on the show. Basically anyone who would hold those positions in this context is just a hateful boob. But showing this is far to close to saying that to make peace with "our" enemies, who are always depicted as an alien Other, requires we actually surrender something. Oh, my. Better to leave weird holes in the plot and weak or irrational characters! Or have Pope as the alternate hero for assholes to identify with.
Old June 13 2013, 04:43 AM   #81
JD
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
But it was obviously in honor of The Skitter Freedom Fighter with the Eye injury that was referred to by the Humans as "Red-Eye" who gave his life for the cause. I was really sad to see him killed off last Season, they made me care about him/her/it.
I didn't remember to mention it in earlier posts, but I thought that was pretty cool too. I was really sad to see Red Eye die at the end of last season, so I thought that was a cool way to pay tribute to him in universe, and in the real world it was a nice way to identify the Rebel Skitters.
Old June 17 2013, 06:46 PM   #82
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I was disappointed in last night's episode. There were some good moments for Matt, but the whole magic baby thing, and yet another group of humans... Meh...
Old June 17 2013, 08:20 PM   #83
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

The magic baby storyline isn't bothering me yet. I'm satisfied watching to see where it goes. But that is one creepy looking baby.

The big problem (setting aside the skitters and Volm), is the existance of the "real" president. Maybe the group should have made Tom "regional" President. But why President Abernathy would sanction his people firing on the Tom's group without much investigation into Tom's group's apparent actions re: contact with rebel Skitters, is beyond me.

Did Moon Bloodgood really have a kid in the off season? She looks bigger this season.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 08:51 PM   #84
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post

Did Moon Bloodgood really have a kid in the off season? She looks bigger this season.
Yes, she is/was pregnant. I'm not sure when she gave birth, but that is not a fat suit she is wearing.
Old June 17 2013, 10:39 PM   #85
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I was kind of expecting them to encounter other "presidents," but I didn't expect the real one to show up. Having them seen as collaborators by the legitimate government puts a whole new spin on things.

Yeah, the half-alien baby plot is definitely not a good idea.

But they wrote Pope with some depth this episode, without compromising his loser status.
Old June 17 2013, 11:01 PM   #86
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I was kind of expecting them to encounter other "presidents," but I didn't expect the real one to show up. Having them seen as collaborators by the legitimate government puts a whole new spin on things.

Yeah, the half-alien baby plot is definitely not a good idea.

But they wrote Pope with some depth this episode, without compromising his loser status.

No proof yet the new human is telling the absolute truth. Lotsa people can claim to be president...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 11:06 PM   #87
stj
Rear Admiral

Pope was the guy who let his crew rape women. I have to disagree that the episode was good characterization. It retconned Pope into a nicer person, but why is that desirable?

The basic problem is that the unthought out nature of space war is messing them up. They don't really know what comes next, because they can't figure out what the alien characters want. And that matters even when those characters are largely offstage. They'll never be able to figure them out until they've come up with a clear understanding of how space war could actually work. So they have to come up with arbitrary diversions like the baby.
Old June 17 2013, 11:16 PM   #88
sojourner
Admiral

So, any bets the President was hanging out in Guantanamo?
Old June 18 2013, 05:00 AM   #89
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Yes, she is/was pregnant. I'm not sure when she gave birth, but that is not a fat suit she is wearing.
After the premiere, I had to look it up. According to IMDB, she had a baby in December. I also read that filming started in August, so she was pregnant through out filming, it seems.

At first, with Hal, I thought it was a mental link, and not him literally walking out to meet her. That would have made more sense.

I also was hoping the thing with the baby was going to be some super post-partum, but this is sci fi, what am I thinking?
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 08:17 AM   #90
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

Kitty Worrier wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post

After the premiere, I had to look it up. According to IMDB, she had a baby in December. I also read that filming started in August, so she was pregnant through out filming, it seems.
According to Producer/Directors Greg Beemans Blog next weeks episode was
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote