RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,918
Posts: 5,389,137
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 663
Newest member: fanshere

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 10 2013, 06:44 PM   #31
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

I'll say this; I think Sisko (and Picard) were the most law-abiding when it came to adhering to the Prime Directive, at least compared to Kirk.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 06:48 PM   #32
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I'll say this; I think Sisko (and Picard) were the most law-abiding when it came to adhering to the Prime Directive, at least compared to Kirk.
The alpha quadrant of Kirk's time was akin to the Old West. It's not surprising that he played fast and loose with the Prime Directive. Sisko and Picard were subject to greater interference from Federation bureaucrats, so they had to exercise greater caution with Starfleet's most important general order.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:02 PM   #33
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

^Love your character in your sig; how did he come to be?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^Love your character in your sig; how did he come to be?
Thank you! Captain Sran is a Romulan Starfleet officer during the late twenty fourth century. How he came to serve in Starfleet is something I've not completely worked out. I'm still writing his backstory. If I end up sticking with the original premise for his character, the backstory will intertwine with several familiar elements of Star Trek history, including how he came to command a ship called Naptown. I haven't decided if he's ever broken the Prime Directive.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 12:58 AM   #35
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander
 
Vulcan Logician's Avatar
 
Location: In the realm of pure logic
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Sran wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^Love your character in your sig; how did he come to be?
Thank you! Captain Sran is a Romulan Starfleet officer during the late twenty fourth century. How he came to serve in Starfleet is something I've not completely worked out. I'm still writing his backstory. If I end up sticking with the original premise for his character, the backstory will intertwine with several familiar elements of Star Trek history, including how he came to command a ship called Naptown. I haven't decided if he's ever broken the Prime Directive.

--Sran
Neat! So Sran is taking his Romulan sense of duty and applying it to service in Starfleet? I've always liked the "good" Romulan characters that we meet in all the Next Gen series. They show both nobility and backbone. The rest of them, however, are a bunch of two-faced, treacherous power grabbers.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:12 AM   #36
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
Neat! So Sran is taking his Romulan sense of duty and applying it to service in Starfleet? I've always liked the "good" Romulan characters that we meet in all the Next Gen series. They show both nobility and backbone. The rest of them, however, are a bunch of two-faced, treacherous power grabbers.
Correct. Sran represents a combination of Romulan dedication and Federation altruism. His heritage means he offers a style of command that differs from most Starfleet captains we've met, but he's no less effective than his colleagues.

Romulans are fascinating for exactly the reason you mentioned. They are a noble people, but corruption within their government has affected their civilization for the worse. It's interesting to ponder what may have happened had the Federation made an overture of peace to them at the turn of the twenty third century rather than the Klingons.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:48 AM   #37
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander
 
Vulcan Logician's Avatar
 
Location: In the realm of pure logic
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

As soon as I get PM privileges, I'd like to discuss your literary pursuits, Sran. Do you post fiction on this board?

Last edited by Vulcan Logician; June 11 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:05 AM   #38
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Sran wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote:
Now we'll hear straight from the horses mouth what exactly was said since Admiral Sisko is being a stickler about precise facts.
This comment is both childish and petty. You have incorrectly cited examples taken from various episodes to strengthen your argument. Admiral_Sisko is absolutely correct in pointing out your mistakes.
--Sran
I was making a jokey comment cool your jets man. How are my examples incorrect? They all feature command characters Picard, Riker, Sisko and Janeway responding to different degrees of Klingon culture, religion and or customs. The means of said disagreements are different but the ends are roughly the same. Klingon practices of such extreme cannot be carried out because they conflict with Starfleet principles.

Keep in mind the mistakes Admiral Sisko detailed out and corrected for me were 1. the Klingon's are an independent nation and not apart of the Federation. 2 The name of the rituals Kurn and Worf asked others to perform on them. At the time of my original posts I did not go search up the exact name because I thought they were the same thing. Trek's version of the Japanese Samurai Seppuku.


Sran wrote: View Post
cheesepuff316 wrote: View Post
Actually Riker deliberately wouldn't help Worf commit suicide - look at what he says in "Ethics"
You're correct. AllStarEntprise is apparently content to ignore the facts of any situation he cites as part of his argument. That's probably why Admiral_Sisko called him out.

--Sran
Rewatch the clip or rewatch the episode Ethics. Riker said he "probably" would help Worf. However Riker used an escape clause which deferred the act to Worf's oldest son or family member. It wasn't Riker's place and he points that out to Worf.




There are 726 episodes, and 12 movies all titled Star Trek spread across 47 years and 7 unique series'. I have seen every single one of them. With such a high volume of material remembering every single detail is impossible. Harder if a person (like myself) watches other high volume shows like Doctor Who with it's 800+ episodes, Farscape, Stargate series', BSG. It can be overwhelming. So thank you Admiral_Sisko for correcting me. I'm never angry when someone corrects my mistakes. My opinion of the situation differs from others and I've tried to detail it out and explain it.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:47 AM   #39
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

As to the original question, An admiral straight out tells Sisko that interfering with the Bajoreans request to Leave DS9 was a violation of the Prime Directive. Also taking sides on the coup is a violation of the prime directive. Sisko argues that it's not internal, because the Cardassians are behind the scenes, but the admiral is quite clear, that just because teh Cardassians are willing to interfer doesn't give him the right to.

Now of course Sisko tries to side step this, by saying he is leaving slowing. Utter bullocks. And he has Kira present the evidence again Jaro. But its only due to Federation assistance. Federation transport to the Bajorean moon, Federation technical support to get the small fighter operational. And of course every single moment, let alone actively fighting against the forces, sabotaging the systems, ect are all violations of the Prime Directive.

Th episode the siege as per episode probably some of the largest number of acts that are violations.
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:55 AM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Here's what I think about Tosk: Sisko isn't violating the Prime Directive by allowing O'Brien to help Tosk. He's upholding the PD. The hunt would have gone uninterrupted had none of the DS9 crew befriended Tosk. So by setting the hunt back on, Sisko and O'Brien are putting things back the way they were before Tosk ever came aboard DS9. That's not interference.

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
Was Gabriel Bell ever Gabriel Bell? Probably so, because Sisko would have seen himself as Mr. Bell having studied him in the Academy.
Who's to say he didn't? Sisko may have looked at "himself" and said, wow, that guy looks like me, but otherwise not thought anything of it. The point is, we have absolutely no idea if the 'original' Bell that gets killed in the episode really is the original. For all we know, Sisko was always Bell.

And since the characters returned to the same future they left, I find this likely.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:59 AM   #41
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
For all we know, Sisko was always Bell.
This has always made the most sense to me. In retrospect, I'm surprised he didn't get a visit from the Department of Temporal Investigations after the assignment was over.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.