RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,902
Posts: 5,477,159
Members: 25,051
Currently online: 617
Newest member: GrammaticalFict

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?
Yes, it felt enough like the real thing. 47 77.05%
No, I can only accept what's on TV or film. 10 16.39%
I don't know. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 11 2013, 07:45 PM   #106
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

^^ I think it's just that they're tolerated as long as they don't make a profit. It's likely an extension of tolerating fan fiction as they have over the years since it can be seen as promoting the brand without it costing TPTB a dime.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:17 PM   #107
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

So much for being done with this thread...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post




So from that perspective do you feel Star Trek Continues: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" is good enough to be considered as part of your sense of TOS' continuity?



You loaded the "No" option to make people look like they're inflexible if they want to vote against it being part of their personal continuity. Why makes the questions loaded? Why not a simple 'yes' or 'no' without the qualifiers?
Bullshit!




I've had it with this. Just fuck it. You want to answer "no" than just say it and explain your reasons. Instead you like to be pissy about it.*




To hell with it. I'm fed up with being scolded like a bad child just because I don't suck up everything cranked out with a brand on it. If I think something is shit then that's my business and I have nothing to apologize for.




Fuck it.

In other words...



Wow, overreaction much? Maybe it hasn't occurred to you yet but people are answering with the reasons they don't agree with you on this. And yes, seeing the blatant hypocrisy of the way you are asking the question of this thread counts as a perfectly legitimate reason and answer. Let's take a look again and this time use our context clues, mmkay?

You finally discover a fan film you like and are as equally passionate about it as you are about TOS. Nothing wrong with that. But when others dare to call you out on the poor logic you exhibit in qualifying this fan film, rather than simply acknowledge that yeah, you like it better than DS9 or TNG, you fly off the handle and kick sand in everyone's faces, shouting "SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME!"

Your right to disavow some of the canon of the franchise is totally legit. But your framing of the central question of this thread is clumsy. And yes, ignoring nearly half of the franchise because in your book it's not "good" enough for you're interstellar standards of quality while then asking of this fan film is, certainly does sound like blatant hypocrisy to me, if not just plain ignorance.

Last edited by doubleohfive; June 11 2013 at 09:53 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:03 PM   #108
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
So much for being done with this thread...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post




You loaded the "No" option to make people look like they're inflexible if they want to vote against it being part of their personal continuity. Why makes the questions loaded? Why not a simple 'yes' or 'no' without the qualifiers?
Bullshit!




I've had it with this. Just fuck it. You want to answer "no" than just say it and explain your reasons. Instead you like to be pissy about it.*




To hell with it. I'm fed up with being scolded like a bad child just because I don't suck up everything cranked out with a brand on it. If I think something is shit then that's my business and I have nothing to apologize for.




Fuck it.

In other words...



Wow, overreaction much? Maybe it hasn't occurred to you yet but people are answering with the reasons they don't agree with you on this. And yes, seeing the blatant hypocrisy of the way you are asking the question of this thread counts as a perfectly legitimate reason and answer. Let's take a look again and this time use our context clues, mmkay?

You finally discover a fan film you like and are as equally passionate about it as you are about TOS. Nothing wrong with that. But when others dare to call you out on the poor logic you exhibit in qualifying this fan film, rather than simply acknowledge that yeah, you like it better than DS9 or TNG, you fly off the handle and kick sand in everyone's faces, shouting "SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME!"

Your right to disavow some of the canon of the franchise is totally legit. But your framing of the central question of this thread is clumsy. And yes, ignoring nearly half of the franchise because in your book it's not "good" enough for you're interstellar standards of quality while then asking of this fan film is, certainly does sound like blatant hypocrisy to me, if not just plain ignorance.
To hell with it. There is no illogic in my preferring a fan film over something cranked out by TBTB. I only asked others opinion regarding it, but someone has to make an issue of me not liking/accepted "official" product and accusing me of being a hypocrite.

I'm not the hypocrite here.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:13 PM   #109
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Where in any of my posts did I ever say it was "illogical" for you to not like modern Trek?

Re-read my post. I said it was illogical for you to get so bent out of shape because some people might see hypocrisy in your elevating a fan film to near-canon status while at the same time ignoring the majority of legitimately produced episodes and films, when until recently your own "canon" ended at 1979. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

And once more, with feeling, you yourself just said you asked for people's opinions on the matter and newsflash Roscoe, I have an opinion that takes in to context your quizzical and stubbornly irate distaste of Modern Trek into forming said opinion on this matter. Just because you don't like it, just because you can't defend it, just because you didn't expect it, does not refute or in any way de-legitimize my actual informed opinion.

You are a hypocrite. Your post is hypocritical. And you're again being a crybaby about it, because some people have the balls to actually not only disagree with you but also point out the flaw in your argument. Oh, the horror! THE HORROR!!!!

Last edited by doubleohfive; June 12 2013 at 01:49 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:28 PM   #110
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Damn, Warped9.

I just mentioned that you might get a more honest sampling if you didn't try and throw your personal biases into the equation. You worded the 'no' answer in a way that totally discounted every other fan film ever made and was intended to make folks look like sheep for not seeing things your way.

Why didn't you simply do a 'yes' or 'no' poll?
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:28 PM   #111
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Ummm... I can still like Star Trek Continues and JJ Abrams Trek too, right?
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:32 PM   #112
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Opus wrote: View Post
Ummm... I can still like Star Trek Continues and JJ Abrams Trek too, right?
Of course.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:46 PM   #113
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Opus wrote: View Post
Ummm... I can still like Star Trek Continues and JJ Abrams Trek too, right?
Why wouldn't you be able to?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 01:39 AM   #114
DCR
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

Opus wrote: View Post
Ummm... I can still like Star Trek Continues and JJ Abrams Trek too, right?
There are over 700 hours of canon Trek in one form or another; Crom only knows how many hours there are of unsanctioned Trek ranging from fan-films to parodies.

Then there are all the novels, comics, and audio dramas out there; again both authorized and unauthorized. If you include all the fanfic, I would not be surprised to find out there's over a billion words of Trek fiction in the wild.

The way I see it, every person is allowed to like as much or as little of it as they want, for whatever reason they want.

I liked both Continues and the 2009 movie - I expect to like ID when I see it.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:35 AM   #115
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

As other have indicated, the root problem with this poll is that the options are bad. The first conflates "good enough" and "felt like the real thing" which are two different things. The second conflates "not good enough" with "only accepting what's on TV or film", which is arguably not the same thing as a "sense of continuity". And "I don't know" leaves out anyone for whom continuity doesn't matter.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 06:07 PM   #116
Joker
Vice Admiral
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Location: The North
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

I agree with Warped9. JJ Abrams made the bestest Star Trek ever!
__________________
My name is Pain. You belong to me.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 06:12 PM   #117
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

DCR wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
Ummm... I can still like Star Trek Continues and JJ Abrams Trek too, right?
There are over 700 hours of canon Trek in one form or another; Crom only knows how many hours there are of unsanctioned Trek ranging from fan-films to parodies.

Then there are all the novels, comics, and audio dramas out there; again both authorized and unauthorized. If you include all the fanfic, I would not be surprised to find out there's over a billion words of Trek fiction in the wild.

The way I see it, every person is allowed to like as much or as little of it as they want, for whatever reason they want.

I liked both Continues and the 2009 movie - I expect to like ID when I see it.
Yes, I completely agree with you, DCR. I should have mentioned my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I posted my above question. I love most Trek. It's why I've been a fan for more than 35 years. I simply have never understood the vitriol over the different incarnations of Trek that don't appeal to some. For instance - ENT is not my cup of tea. I don't slam people for enjoying it and generally stay away from that area of the board.

Back on topic, I loved this episode of Trek Continues! I thought the story and the filming was closest I've seen of TOS yet for a fan production. Well done! And I love JJTrek too. STiD is fantastic! IMHO, of course...
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:47 AM   #118
controlfreak
Commander
 
Location: Under foot.
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

As a fan film, it was ok. It suffers from the same thing the New Voyages suffered from initially: Stunt casting at the expense of quality story and acting. And the "poll" is bullshit, but the meltdown was well worth the price of admission.
__________________
I'm sorry, officer, but that's definitely not a breathalizer.
controlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 04:30 PM   #119
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

It's a poll. On the Internet. The drama herein may be a little excessive, all things considered.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 08:58 PM   #120
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
It's a poll. On the Internet. The drama herein may be a little excessive, all things considered.
It may be on the internet but we all know each other to some degree and each others motivations. So it's not really the same, IMO.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.