Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 11 2013, 05:03 PM   #1
MacLeod
Admiral

"Heroes" could be uncancelled.

Found this tid-bit of news whilst browsing and whilst it is very early it looks as if MS are looking to bring heroes back via Xbox Live.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/40539...-xbox-via-msn/
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:34 PM   #2
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Heroes" could be uncancelled.

Oh, great. We can be horribly disappointed all over again.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

This has been talked about here before hasn't it?

I don't know why they don't start a new show like Alphas. It's not like Heroes was a one of a kind thing.
Old June 11 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I still haven't watched Season 4.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Aldo
Admiral

I hope they bring Nathan Petrelli back, just so they can kill him off again. You know, for old times sake.
Old June 11 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Season 4, although not as good as Season 1, did start steering back towards quality, IMHO. It was a definite step back up from S2 and S3.

Might just be down to Robert Knepper being the main Antagonist, rather than better writing, but still a step up

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
This has been talked about here before hasn't it?
Yeah, in the SFF shows in development thread.
Old June 11 2013, 05:58 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

You're not missing much. Heroes seemed to be one of those shws that went downhill after a great first year.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 11 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'd say it went down hill starting with the first year's finale. Which rather nicely exemplifies what was fundamentally wrong with it: great build-up, but they had no idea where to go with it.

It's a major flaw in the "mystery box" story structure so favored by the likes of JJ Abrams. Tease all you want, but sooner or later you're going to have to deliver the good stuff and if the best you can do is a giant magical sink plug of doom (I'd give a more apt example, but I've honestly forgotten how Heroes ended!) then any goodwill earned up to this point will quickly evaporate.

As for bringing the show back....meh. :/
Don't get me wrong, the show *had* plenty of potential, but unless they have a clear, *good* idea of where they're going with it beyond just one season then it'll just crash and burn all over again.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:08 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

Agreed, Lost's ending was a bit of a dissapointment. Though I think it really started to go down hill from at the latest the start of S4.
Old June 11 2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Reverend wrote: View Post
I'd say it went down hill starting with the first year's finale. Which rather nicely exemplifies what was fundamentally wrong with it: great build-up, but they had no idea where to go with it.
My understanding was that the season 1 finale was supposed to be the end of that particular story and that they would introduce new Heroes in the following season except that the cast was so popular they decided to bring them back.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Reverend
Rear Admiral

My understanding was that the season 1 finale was supposed to be the end of that particular story and that they would introduce new Heroes in the following season except that the cast was so popular they decided to bring them back.
Still, even taken in isolation the season one finale was a pretty weak ending to that story. Not sure I buy the excuse that the established characters were more popular since they did try introducing several new characters. Tried and failed since if memory serves, most of them didn't even last a full season.

BTW, Heroes and Lost aren't the only shows to suffer from lack of forward planning. It almost crippled nuBSG post season 2, with several plot thread being dumped or back-tracked when the realized too late that what they were doing wasn't working.

The only really good example of doing in *right* in this genre is Babylon 5. There the creator had a pretty clear yet malleable idea of where the show was headed and how it would get there. The details were open to later extrapolation, improvisation and even a total course correction but it was all very well held together by the framework that was set down at the off-set.

Making it up season to season or even episode to episode is perfectly fine for purely episodic storytelling. If on the other hand you make a serial TV show and emphasis it's serial nature as a major selling point and motivation for the audience to keep coming back, then you'd damn well better have a plan and stick to it, otherwise it just won't work.

The real test in the end is dose the show bare a second or even third viewing? I must have seen every episode of B5 at least four or five times over the years. Probably the same for the likes of DS9, Firefly, Farscape, Stargate etc. But I've never felt like going back and watching Heroes or Lost again. There's just no attraction. Not just because the ending is know, but because I know the process was meaningless. Most of the "mysteries" were made up on the spot, mostly just for the sake of being mysterious. There's no real pay-off because there's nothing to connect the dots.

I guess what I'm driving at is that unless there's a drastic change in the way they approach the show, I can't see any resurrection handling it any better since the show was pretty much a wreck by the end. You may as well un-cancel Earth Final Conflict for all the good it'd do.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

Screw the Universe!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:00 PM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Everyone talks about season 1 being great, but as Reverend said the first season finale was a huge letdown, to the point I saw the writing on the wall and didn't return for season 2.

The only way Heroes would have worked is if in the season 1 finale NYC blows up. They should have done that, that would have been daring and shocking.
Old June 11 2013, 11:26 PM   #15
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Not sure I buy the excuse that the established characters were more popular since they did try introducing several new characters. Tried and failed since if memory serves, most of them didn't even last a full season.
The original intent of the creators was to do a series of season-long arcs featuring mostly new characters. When the show was a breakout hit in its first half-season, the network suits got involved and insisted that pretty much all of the main Season 1 characters had to return. I think that the creators tried to salvage their original course, hence the influx of new characters on top of the established ones. Whether or not the creators' original vision would have worked is questionable, but you can blame a lot of what was wrong with the show with the network interference. It was pretty clear, for example, that they had no idea what to do with Hiro and Ando after Season 1.

They probably could have done a better job of teasing out the show's "mysteries" if each season had featured a mostly-new cast.
The Old Building & Loan is offline   Reply With Quote