Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 11 2013, 06:17 AM   #1051
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I guess being 10 at the time gives me a different perspective. I was excited about DS9 and Voyager, and while I remember not keeping up with DS9, Voyager was really the first series I watched as an "adult". The 90s really developed my Trek fandom and for that I'm grateful.

Watched Offspring and Sins of the Father tonight. Offspring is still great, even though I was really not understand Picard's original criticisms. Everything he said went against what he said in Measure of a Man. Since when was it bad to create new life, in an Android perspective. The other races do it all the time.

It's been a while since I've seen Sins of the Father and this might be the best "Klingon" episode in the franchse, yes beating all the DS9 good episodes (And I don't really consider Tacking into the Wind a Klingon episode). This episode started TNG's first arc, but just everything taking place on the planet was awesome. Also, the Remastering was really nice especially the city shots of the Klingon Homeworld. I'm really looking forward to Redemption to see more of it, especially with it on fire.
Old June 11 2013, 04:22 PM   #1052
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think Heart of Glory is still the best Klingon-centric episode the franchise produced.
Old June 11 2013, 07:14 PM   #1053
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think Heart of Glory is still the best Klingon-centric episode the franchise produced.
You just reminded me of another reason I got tired of Trek -- when it became a "franchise" instead of a TV show. Like a McDonalds, a 7-11 or something, a different one on every corner.
Old June 11 2013, 07:17 PM   #1054
BillJ
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
You just reminded me of another reason I got tired of Trek -- when it became a "franchise" instead of a TV show. Like a McDonalds, a 7-11 or something, a different one on every corner.
Agreed. I pretty much stick to TOS, the TOS films, early-TNG and the Abrams films now as far as continued Trek consumption goes. The rest, while not terrible by any means, just feel derivative.
Old June 11 2013, 09:39 PM   #1055
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Agreed. I pretty much stick to TOS, the TOS films, early-TNG and the Abrams films now as far as continued Trek consumption goes. The rest, while not terrible by any means, just feel derivative.
Early TNG? Interesting.

Interesting because I actually prefer early TNG to the later stuff. Yes, it's hit or miss (mostly miss) but it actually feels more like the future than do the later seasons. There's a sense of wonder and discovery that just isn't there later on when it seems we've charted most of space and keep running into the same rubber-foreheaded aliens again and again.
Old June 11 2013, 10:26 PM   #1056
BillJ
Admiral

Early TNG? Interesting.

Interesting because I actually prefer early TNG to the later stuff. Yes, it's hit or miss (mostly miss) but it actually feels more like the future than do the later seasons. There's a sense of wonder and discovery that just isn't there later on when it seems we've charted most of space and keep running into the same rubber-foreheaded aliens again and again.
Yup. Seasons one and two of TNG have always been my favorites of Modern Trek.
Old June 12 2013, 12:05 AM   #1057
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I have to admit those were some pretty badass, movie-style Klingons in that ep.

The ones that came later just seemed a little too soft and boring somehow, with the constant need to make them seem noble and honorable all the time.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:18 AM   #1058
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

When did we start identifying "Star Trek" as a franchise. TNG was a spinoff show of the original/movies, and there's been other spin off shows that didn't make something a franchise.

As for Heart of Glory being the best Klingon show, this is really a matter of taste. HOG is a great episode, but I've always enjoyed the political intrigue that Star Trek offered, be it in TNG or to a larger extent DS9. Heart of Glory is a great pure Klingon show though, and probably when it came to culture, the best one. I really didn't like the Klingon Culture/Alexander episodes that came after Sins. They were all a little on the boring side.
Old June 12 2013, 03:29 AM   #1059
BillJ
Admiral

Star Trek has been a franchise and has had franchise thinking for a really long time. I think its why TNG ended up playing it far safer than TOS in terms of content even though it supposedly had less interference because it wasn't on a network.
Old June 12 2013, 06:09 AM   #1060
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

We all have our guilty pleasure episodes, and I watched one of mine tonight, Captain's Holiday. It's interesting how I seem to watch Q-Less more than I watch any other Vash episode, but I watched CH tonight and man Vash is attractive, especially in the hike get-up she was wearing. Love those boots too.

Anyway, I don't know why I love this and QPid as much as I probably should. Maybe it's Vash, maybe it's Qpid being a strong family favorite (I was only 5 when it aired and I thought seeing the crew in Sherwood Forest was hella cool, and I like Q) but it's fun revisiting these episodes again.

I will say there are some episodes this season where you really kind of look past the remastering. It's great, don't get me wrong, but there are episodes, like Captain's Holiday, that really don't seem to benefit from it. Now if they get to DS9, I think that remastering (especially Bajor and Cardassia) will really shine through. I really do wish they would get Hetrick for an interview in Season 4 and talk about Vash and what kind of idea that character was. It would have been nice had Vash and Picard actually hooked up but Vash isn't the right person for him. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.
Old June 12 2013, 05:25 PM   #1061
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Early TNG? Interesting.

On top of that, the early seasons look better, more cinematic. They're much better lit and they're benefiting more from the HD remaster than I think the later seasons will.
Old June 12 2013, 11:01 PM   #1062
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Early TNG? Interesting.

On top of that, the early seasons look better, more cinematic. They're much better lit and they're benefiting more from the HD remaster than I think the later seasons will.
I really like the work Ed brown did on Seasons one and two... and those seasons definitely benefit greatly from the new film scans. I do, however, prefer Marvin Rush's photography over that of Brown's. I like the way Rush re-interpreted the look of TNG. He made it brighter and crisper, more colorful, while still allowing for contrasty, low-key lighting when the script called for it. And the new tabular grain film stock they switched to at the start of S3 (5296) really makes the show pop in a way it didn't previously. Like Robert Meyer Burnett said, it looks like candy. It really lends itself to HD and looks fabulous on Blu-ray.
Old June 13 2013, 12:25 PM   #1063
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post

Watched Offspring and Sins of the Father tonight. Offspring is still great, even though I was really not understand Picard's original criticisms. Everything he said went against what he said in Measure of a Man. Since when was it bad to create new life, in an Android perspective. The other races do it all the time.
I thought he was worried that Data was treating this as just another experiment, and did not fully appreciate the ramifications of creating a new life form. Picard was basically worried about test tube embryos being experimented upon. Once he realised Data was serious and knew what he was doing, he was onboard. The same with the admiral too.
Old June 14 2013, 04:36 AM   #1064
davejames
Vice Admiral

Watched Hollow Pursuits, and I'm more impressed than ever by how Dwight Schultz was able to be two such totally different characters in that. It's a really great performance.

Although as the season progresses, I can't help but be bothered more and more by the lack of any actual exploration on this show. They didn't do a whole lot of that in the first two seasons either, but by the third it seems like they've forgotten about it completely.

It seems like all they ever really do is fly from one Federation world to the next, ferry ambassadors around from place to place, or provide relief for some planetary disaster somewhere. And even all that is usually just incidental to whatever drama the main characters are going through on the ship that week.

I know it's been said before, but TNG might as well be a drama taking place in a luxury hotel somewhere. I hardly ever get the sense that the Enterprise is out there exploring uncharted space like I so often do with TOS.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 06:04 AM   #1065
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I remember thinking Tin Man was an overrated episode because I didn't like Tam at all, but in HD, it's a very beautiful episode to look at. The music is great, but the effects here are stunning, especially Gumbto. I also didn't find Tam as annoying this time around, but then I haven't seen the episode in a long while before tonight. I will say I really hope we get a Music special feature because the music in this episode might be some of the series best, even though it might have been overused in Voyager.