Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 10 2013, 10:19 AM   #76
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: concept art and set photos!

throwback wrote: View Post
I haven't yet seen them invent their own stuff. I could be wrong.
But that's the opposite of what you said you wanted them to do when you stated that they should have studied ship architecture, exploration vessels, and depictions of futuristic spacecraft in fiction.

I think the overuse of lens flares detracts from the visual appearance of the bridge.
Funnily enough, when I was paying attention to the dialogue and events of the movie, the lens flares barely even registered with me. Besides, they're far less prominent in STiD than they were in the previous film. They're an occasionally amusing --if overused-- joke about Abrams Trek, not any real detriment to the film, IMO.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:26 AM   #77
Belz...
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
I haven't yet seen them invent their own stuff. I could be wrong. If I am, do what you did above - point it out.
How did they _not_ invent their own stuff ? New sets, new props, new uniforms, new stories. What do you want from them ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:18 PM   #78
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Not to distract from the discussion, but I quite like this picture of all the modern-day bridges:
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
And if you're at all familiar with the movie Mister Roberts, you know what I'm looking at in the upper left picture!
Old June 10 2013, 03:41 PM   #79
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Henry Fonda threw the captain's palm tree overboard in protest because he wouldn't grant him a transfer to a ship going into combat, right? Man, I haven't seen that movie in about twenty years. Downer of an ending, though.
Old June 10 2013, 03:57 PM   #80
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Yup! Although Pulver's reaction to the news more than made up for the downer, IMO.
Old June 10 2013, 07:15 PM   #81
throwback
Captain

Belz said he wanted them to invent their own stuff. Let me give an example from TOS. As a compromise on the budget, they invented the transporter. The film makers are working from what was established before. What we are seeing on the screen is their interpretation of what was established before.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:23 PM   #82
mos6507
Captain

when I was paying attention to the dialogue and events of the movie, the lens flares barely even registered with me. Besides, they're far less prominent in STiD than they were in the previous film. They're an occasionally amusing --if overused-- joke about Abrams Trek, not any real detriment to the film, IMO.
I think you're in the minority on that opinion. I don't think anyone actively LIKES the lens flares (besides the CG artists on a few Trek fan productions that seem to feel obligated to jump on the bandwagon). Even the way you're wording it above comes across as if you merely trick your mind into ignoring them. In other words, they ARE a visual distraction. So let's just concede that this is an element of JJ's filmmaking that is generally reviled and which, despite negative audience feedback, he just doubled-down and continued, as a testament to his Lucas-like Han-shoots-first stubbornness.
Old June 10 2013, 08:01 PM   #83
Belz...
Fleet Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I think you're in the minority on that opinion.
Which is odd. I didn't actually notice there were a large number of them until people kept pointing it out. I was just there for the ride, mind you, not out to nitpick the movie into oblivion. That said, they don't bother me now that I notice them, either.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 10 2013, 08:03 PM   #84
Tom Servo
Commodore

when I was paying attention to the dialogue and events of the movie, the lens flares barely even registered with me. Besides, they're far less prominent in STiD than they were in the previous film. They're an occasionally amusing --if overused-- joke about Abrams Trek, not any real detriment to the film, IMO.
I think you're in the minority on that opinion. I don't think anyone actively LIKES the lens flares (besides the CG artists on a few Trek fan productions that seem to feel obligated to jump on the bandwagon). Even the way you're wording it above comes across as if you merely trick your mind into ignoring them. In other words, they ARE a visual distraction. So let's just concede that this is an element of JJ's filmmaking that is generally reviled and which, despite negative audience feedback, he just doubled-down and continued, as a testament to his Lucas-like Han-shoots-first stubbornness.
As someone who works in the film industry, and knows professional filmmakers, I can tell you there are a fair amount who DO like the lens flare look. It's now even somewhat used as a term to some effect. Someone can say just Abrams it up a bit, and we know exactly what it means. Yes there are those who think they can be over the top, but there are others who like it just fine.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:59 PM   #85
gerbil
Captain

I really like the lens flare look? I also like things like CG shots where you see bits of "dust on the lens" and so forth.

It adds another dimension for me.
"Life should be revered simply for the fact that we need to be thankful that we are currently able to consciously appreciate what we are going through right now. ... This moment that we're having right now is highly significant." -Maynard James Keenan
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:18 PM   #86
publiusr
Commodore

I don't mind the lens flares myself
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 08:43 AM   #87
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Love the lens flares!
Old June 11 2013, 12:44 PM   #88
Belz...
Fleet Captain

gerbil wrote: View Post
I really like the lens flare look? I also like things like CG shots where you see bits of "dust on the lens" and so forth.

It adds another dimension for me.
Yeah. Although, of course, since we're supposed to be omniscient observers, I don't see why they have to treat the camera like there's a real film crew filming the Enterprise. Don't mind it, I just don't think it's more realistic than not, in this particular case.

Old June 11 2013, 03:30 PM   #89
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Even the way you're wording it above comes across as if you merely trick your mind into ignoring them.
That's a completely misleading interpretation of my comment to favor your own preferences, which unfortunately seems to be something of a theme with you. Speak for yourself all you like, but don't reinterpret what I'm saying to suit your own ends, please.

At no time did I imply that I have to trick myself into ignoring the lens flares. I merely said that since I was engrossed in the events of the film, they didn't distract me from it or take me out of the story in any way. If I had gone into the film with a negative attitude instead of a critically neutral, anticipatory one and was looking for flaws to rip apart, I would no doubt have been able to convince myself that they were a horrible distraction. Funny how the mind works that way.

In other words, they ARE a visual distraction.
No. That's the opposite of what I said.

So let's just concede that this is an element of JJ's filmmaking that is generally reviled and which, despite negative audience feedback, he just doubled-down and continued, as a testament to his Lucas-like Han-shoots-first stubbornness.
I will concede no such thing, and doubling-down implies that he used the lens flare effect even more, when I said he seemed to use it far less in this film versus the last. Regardless, filmmakers should not have to compromise their work based on the inconsistent whims of the audience. And that includes George Lucas, my dislike for the Greedo scene notwithstanding.

Plus, your comparison of a aesthetically motivated camera trick that has no bearing on the plot of the film and has been included in it from the start to a major alteration in the established behavior of a chief character and events of a film after said film had already been hugely popular for twenty years is completely ridiculous.
Old June 11 2013, 04:36 PM   #90
beamMe
Fleet Captain

So let's just concede that this is an element of JJ's filmmaking that is generally reviled
Sorry, but the rantings of a select few fanbois do not amount to "generally".
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote