Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 1 2013, 08:31 AM   #61
Workbee
Commander

Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

@Asamov: Love the TVH bridge set too! Wish they could have used it again.
Workbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 07:00 PM   #62
publiusr
Commodore

Belz... wrote: View Post
Ugh. Those nacelles don't belong on that ship. I'd prefer something like this:

That's by me, by the way.
That is actually very nice.

Now I would like to see the refit continued--and those nacelles do rock.

Now on the subject of aft torpedoes, I don't like the aft torpedo in the same neck. The ABBE saucer should be placed on the 1701-A redeux.
There, the wide impulse separation allows for aft torpedoes to go on the saucer bwetween the widely spaced impulse exhausts

This keeps the side view fluid.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:20 PM   #63
Belz...
Fleet Captain

By the way, when I said "by me", I meant the alterations. The basic Enterprise is from Ex Astris Scientia, of course.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:39 AM   #64
arch101
Fleet Captain

I used to read every bit of fandom I could get my hands on and I was completely surprised at the reveal. I had assumed that either Excelsior would be renamed Enterprise or that a second Excelsior class ship would be revealed as the new Enterprise (which is what they really should have done, IMHO) but I had no idea when this would happen. I was surprised they used the BoP for the whole film and saved the new ship for the very last minute. The Thanksgiving night 1986 packed theatre went wild at the reveal, though.
Old June 11 2013, 06:54 AM   #65
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

I have to agree that I wish the new ship was not a twin of the original. The original was practically a character, one that had sentimental value to its crew and the audience. I realize all starships looked alike on TOS but this was "our" Enterprise. To have it so quickly cloned implies they just tumble out of a large vending machine. I would even have accepted a new name on a new ship.
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:42 PM   #66
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was a surprise to me. Back in 1986 there was no precedent for another ship called the Enterprise. I assumed they would get the Excelsior or maybe another "new" ship.

As much as I like the refit design of the Enterprise it was very strange to see them magic one up from nowhere. (It's the Yorktown renamed, right?)
chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:08 PM   #67
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

chevron wrote: View Post
As much as I like the refit design of the Enterprise it was very strange to see them magic one up from nowhere. (It's the Yorktown renamed, right?)
That's one idea. Other names have been bandied about here and there, but generally they all involve it being a ship that was renamed Enterprise.
Old June 11 2013, 02:32 PM   #68
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

I would have liked to have seen the Ent-A be an excelsior class ship. It would have been nice to explore the excelsior class on screen more, such as engineering and other areas.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:53 PM   #69
Sran
Fleet Captain

arch101 wrote: View Post
I had assumed that either Excelsior would be renamed Enterprise or that a second Excelsior class ship would be revealed as the new Enterprise (which is what they really should have done, IMHO) but I had no idea when this would happen.
I agree. The Excelsior was supposed to be a state-of-the-art design. The Constitution-class design was being phased out of Starfleet by 2286. Why offer Kirk command of an obsolete ship?

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 04:10 PM   #70
Tom
Rear Admiral

It is mentioned that the 1701-A could not be the Yorktown because it was mentioned earlier in the film (solar sails etc..). It still could be the Yorktown as we have no idea how much time had passed since the the crew returning, the Trial and later heading to space dock to the 1701-A. A month could have passed between them getting back and the trial or between the trial and space dock, we don't know. So there could have been time for the Yorktown to get re-branded.
Old June 11 2013, 04:28 PM   #71
Sran
Fleet Captain

Tom wrote: View Post
It is mentioned that the 1701-A could not be the Yorktown because it was mentioned earlier in the film (solar sails etc..). It still could be the Yorktown as we have no idea how much time had passed since the the crew returning, the Trial and later heading to space dock to the 1701-A. A month could have passed between them getting back and the trial or between the trial and space dock, we don't know. So there could have been time for the Yorktown to get re-branded.
The Crucible novels discuss the immediate aftermath of the Cetacean Probe incident. One week passes between the trial and the launching of Enterprise-A. What's not clear is how much time passes between the rescue of the HMS Bounty crew and the trail.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 09:47 PM   #72
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
arch101 wrote: View Post
I had assumed that either Excelsior would be renamed Enterprise or that a second Excelsior class ship would be revealed as the new Enterprise (which is what they really should have done, IMHO) but I had no idea when this would happen.
I agree. The Excelsior was supposed to be a state-of-the-art design. The Constitution-class design was being phased out of Starfleet by 2286. Why offer Kirk command of an obsolete ship?
An idea I've had is that it was a conscious effort to reward Kirk with a ship that was identical to the original Enterprise as well as it being partially a public relations move to have Kirk go about the Galaxy in his most famous ride.
Old June 11 2013, 09:52 PM   #73
Sran
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
An idea I've had is that it was a conscious effort to reward Kirk with a ship that was identical to the original Enterprise as well as it being partially a public relations move to have Kirk go about the Galaxy in his most famous ride.
That makes sense. The public would certainly appreciate seeing the crew that saved their planet exploring the galaxy in the same ship that they made famous.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 10:44 PM   #74
Belz...
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Or it was a way to give him a ship without giving him something too high profile like a top-of-the-line vessel, after the stunt he pulled in III.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.

Last edited by Belz...; June 12 2013 at 12:22 AM.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 10:46 PM   #75
Sran
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
Or it was a way to give him a ship without giving him something too igh profile like a top-of-the-line vessel, after the stunt he pulled in III.
This works, too.

--Sran