Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 10 2013, 07:59 PM   #16
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

I've identified with Vulcans ever since the original Trek was on NBC back in the '60s. I tend to be reserved and aloof, and I don't like to show emotion. I can also be a pedantic asshole sometimes.
Old June 10 2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Sran wrote: View Post
Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
Weren't most high ranking romulans terrible people?
They're portrayed that way, but most of Star Trek is written from the perspective of humanity. As a civilization, we tend to distrust individuals and governments that relentlessly pry into our private lives. There's no telling how a Romulan would view such behavior, however. It's entirely possible that they see the Big Brother element of the Tal Shiar as merely another means of providing security (although I doubt it). In any case, I never viewed the Romulan Commanders of The Original Series in a negative light, nor did I have a problem with Admiral Jarok, who risked his life to ensure a better future for his people.

--Sran
They are still mostly scum with an openly imperialist government.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:22 PM   #18
Sran
Fleet Captain

That doesn't mean there aren't aspects of their culture one can admire and relate to. One can disagree with another person's way of life but still respect his right to live as he pleases.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 12:17 AM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . As a civilization, we tend to distrust individuals and governments that relentlessly pry into our private lives. There's no telling how a Romulan would view such behavior, however. It's entirely possible that they see the Big Brother element of the Tal Shiar as merely another means of providing security (although I doubt it). In any case, I never viewed the Romulan Commanders of The Original Series in a negative light, nor did I have a problem with Admiral Jarok, who risked his life to ensure a better future for his people.
Remember that the TOS Romulans (who were introduced before the Klingons) were conceived as the good bad guys. Although warlike and ruthless, they had admirable traits like bravery, integrity, stoicism, and devotion to duty.

With the debut of ST:TNG and the Federation-Klingon alliance, the Romulans became the bad bad guys. Even the constant-surveillance stuff was taken from the Klingon Commander Kor's lines in "Errand of Mercy."
Old June 11 2013, 12:25 AM   #20
Sran
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Remember that the TOS Romulans (who were introduced before the Klingons) were conceived as the good bad guys. Although warlike and ruthless, they had admirable traits like bravery, integrity, stoicism, and devotion to duty.
This is how I see the Romulans. The elements of secrecy were present in their society when they were first introduced, but they exhibted the qualities you've mentioned, too.

scotpens wrote:
With the debut of ST:TNG and the Federation-Klingon alliance, the Romulans became the bad bad guys. Even the constant-surveillance stuff was taken from the Klingon Commander Kor's lines in "Errand of Mercy."
As Star Trek is written from a human perspecitve, it's not surprising that the Romulans would be portrayed differently once the Federation and the Klingons became allies, especially when one considers the history between the Klingon and Romulan Empires. But even the TNG Romulans featured noble characters like Jarok, N'Vek ("Face of the Enemy"), or the members of Spock's underground movement. Senator Cretak was an honorable woman, too, IMO.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 12:30 AM   #21
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

That doesn't mean there aren't aspects of their culture one can admire and relate to. One can disagree with another person's way of life but still respect his right to live as he pleases.

--Sran
Vulcans leaders are much better at self sacrifice. I imagine Romulan leadership only cares about themselves.
Old June 11 2013, 01:45 AM   #22
Sran
Fleet Captain

Vulcans leaders are much better at self sacrifice. I imagine Romulan leadership only cares about themselves.
Getting back to the premise of this thread, what does that have to do my ability to identify with them? I don't condone their xenophobic tendencies. I do admire their dedication to duty and service, even if that service is largely for their own benefit.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 01:59 AM   #23
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Human. Most of the ST species have some kind of aspect of humanity beside just walking upright on two legs.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:34 AM   #24
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Human. Most of the ST species have some kind of aspect of humanity beside just walking upright on two legs.
Of course! All Trek species, in some way, exemplify an aspect of humanity. The alien species represent a sort of hyperbole of human qualities. The essence of this thread is to ask if any of these hyperbolic characteristics align with a poster's personality to a great degree.
I am glad to see that no one has yet identified with Cardassians.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
Which alien species from Trek do you most identify with? And why?
Silly question. I had remembered Thelin from "Yesteryear" and then reading Bjo Trimble's description of Andorians in her "Star Trek Concordance". Even the lisp sounded familiar. I hadn't seen any live-action Andorians at that point, except for brief glimpses in ST:TMP. And a few studio stills.

My first Trek costume in early 1980 was a therefore a no-brainer. And a huge challenge. A friend's grandmother donated the white wig, which were impossible to buy in Sydney in 1980. (All I could find were judge's wigs.)

TOS Therin as a redshirt by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:20 AM   #26
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Getting back to the premise of this thread, what does that have to do my ability to identify with them? I don't condone their xenophobic tendencies. I do admire their dedication to duty and service, even if that service is largely for their own benefit.

--Sran
In that case it's more like slefishnes than service.
Old June 11 2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Sran
Fleet Captain

In that case it's more like slefishnes than service.
Is it selfish for a British citizen to serve his or her government? A Romulan's first duty is to the Romulan Empire.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

That;s not how they the people on the top ofm the pyramid think.
Old June 11 2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Sran
Fleet Captain

That;s not how they the people on the top ofm the pyramid think.
Maybe not, but what does that have to do me or my empathy for Romulans? One may identify with certain aspects of a culture without being swayed by the culture's more negative elements.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

^^^ The bowl cuts and shoulder pads ruin it for me.

Come to think of it, most ST aliens could use a serious makeover, so maybe that's not a dealbreaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote