Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 11 2013, 08:05 AM   #1966
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Robert_T_April wrote: View Post
Every episode, and especially every movie can be nitpicked to death, however, yours are extremely minor.
To you.

To me they were the difference to being immersed blissfully in a movie (TMP, ST 2009, STiD) and feeling annoyed at the missed opportunities.

I really don't take The Final Frontier seriously as it was just a poorly written, and poorly directed movie. Not to mention, the f/x were cheap.
I was really underwhelmed by ST V, but you can't just dismiss the whole film and say, "Oh yeah, we forgot to mention that Kirk and all the bridge crew hate Klingons and have done ever since David was killed."

I enjoyed watching ST VI. But I felt a bit like a bystander. Nothing seemed quite right. They were up to Saavik #3 (this time with a new name). She wasn't even wearing matching uniform pieces.

As for the tracking device, a transponder could have been injected into Kirk but, it wouldn't have been as dramatic.
But it's sensible to assume that prisoners will be allowed to keep their (opposition military) uniforms to do hard labor?

Your issues with Uhura and Chekov aren't even worth mentioning as it had zero impact on the story.
They are worth mentioning. Because they had me squirming with impatience in my seat. Yes, they were funny scenes, but Chekov has been the ship's Chief of Security (ST:TMP) and he doesn't know that a hand phaser will set off an alarm and has to have it explained by Valeris? Dumb.

The bit in Klingon space added a little humour which didn't hurt.
It was hilarious. But it caused me to squirm with impatience in my seat. At least the novelization explained that the computer's translator was down (IIRC), but that was JM Dillard trying to make the scene make sense.

When I said perfect, I didn't mean nitpick free.
How else do I explain why it was not perfect to me without "nitpicking"? ST VI felt like a very rushed and poorly thought-out (and sometimes over-thought, tying it in to glasnost, Gorbachev and TNG's "Unification") entry in a tired franchise.

All ST films have nits we can pick. It's part of the fun. But ST VI's nitpicks annoyed me. A lot. Missed opportunities.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 10:30 AM   #1967
Belz...
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
People who say Star Trek Into Darkness is the worst movie ever obviously haven't seen Battlefield Earth. I'm watching it on Cinemax right now.
Ah, that is one glorious movie. So bad, it's awesome.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
And that's not even the worst movie ever made.
No, I believe that honour should be reserved to Manos the Hands of Fate or Monster a Go-Go.
Old June 11 2013, 11:27 AM   #1968
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I thought STVI treated the characters horribly. Kirk's a racist, Spock's a rapist*, McCoy and Uhura are incompetent, the entire plotline directly contradicts "Yesterday's Enterprise" etc. etc.

*and yes I'm aware Spock mind melds all the time, sometimes against people's will. But in VI the violation aspect was deliberatey played up. Add to that, the bridge crew just sit around and watch Valaris screaming in agony.
Old June 11 2013, 11:38 AM   #1969
throwback
Captain

How many of you have seen the film "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters"? I just did. Man, this was a wretched, preposterous film. The music was annoying and loud, and the technology was anachronistic to the period. Established as being in the early 18th century, this film had characters using steampunk machine guns and tasers.

To illustrate the power of the international market, if this film was relying on the domestic box office, it would be a rated a critically-panned bomb with a budget of $50 million and a gross of $55.7 million. However, the international market gross was $170 million, making this film a financial success. Paramount has agreed to a sequel.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/hans...-witch-hunters

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...tchhunters.htm

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...-insane-sequel

The lessons I learned from this film was that one shouldn't be overly reverential to the source material, have over-the-board action, have likeable characters, have some comedy, have the women as objects of sexual desire and arousal but are able to hold their own in a battle, especially against other women, and have the characters speak enough to advance the plot and to give brief exposition to the audience. Another film that meets this mold and is succeeding is Furious 6.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:50 AM   #1970
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

With the way things are stacking up. With Man of Steel opening this friday in the US. I can only assume STID is going to struggle more to surpass the 2009 gross domestically. With the combined effort of domestic and foreign boxoffice it should make more than Star Trek 2009 though. Idk film companies can be picky when a sequel film makes less money than it's predecessor.
M.A.C.O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:54 AM   #1971
teacock
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I thought STVI treated the characters horribly. Kirk's a racist, Spock's a rapist*, McCoy and Uhura are incompetent, the entire plotline directly contradicts "Yesterday's Enterprise" etc. etc.

*and yes I'm aware Spock mind melds all the time, sometimes against people's will. But in VI the violation aspect was deliberatey played up. Add to that, the bridge crew just sit around and watch Valaris screaming in agony.
The needs of the many, the many being Khitomer. I don't think it's exactly torture, certainly it is a lot less than the Vulcan Security Directorate did to T'Pol.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:54 AM   #1972
Roald
Commander

Even though I like the film, I once started a thread about its 'really weird things'... So many things are just so weird and out of place... If JJ had made it, the rage he would get for 'raping continuity and the characters' would be astronomical....
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:23 PM   #1973
MickJo1701
Commander

throwback wrote: View Post
How many of you have seen the film "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters"? I just did. Man, this was a wretched, preposterous film. The music was annoying and loud, and the technology was anachronistic to the period. Established as being in the early 18th century, this film had characters using steampunk machine guns and tasers.

To illustrate the power of the international market, if this film was relying on the domestic box office, it would be a rated a critically-panned bomb with a budget of $50 million and a gross of $55.7 million. However, the international market gross was $170 million, making this film a financial success. Paramount has agreed to a sequel.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/hans...-witch-hunters

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...tchhunters.htm

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...-insane-sequel

The lessons I learned from this film was that one shouldn't be overly reverential to the source material, have over-the-board action, have likeable characters, have some comedy, have the women as objects of sexual desire and arousal but are able to hold their own in a battle, especially against other women, and have the characters speak enough to advance the plot and to give brief exposition to the audience. Another film that meets this mold and is succeeding is Furious 6.
Too often do piss poor films turn a profit (see Michael Bay's entire directorial career) watching this film however was a particularly experience dreadful to endure. I hated everything about it especially Jeremy Renner, an actor I despise with a passion.

Last edited by MickJo1701; June 11 2013 at 02:06 PM.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:42 PM   #1974
Creepy Critter
Admiral

But in VI the violation aspect was deliberatey played up. Add to that, the bridge crew just sit around and watch Valaris screaming in agony.
Valeris, the top spy on the ship, an accomplice in the assassination of Gorkon, who murdered the assassins to cover her tracks, and who refused to cooperate when caught, even though billions of lives and the whole Alpha Quadrant hung in the balance, under the threat of a war that she tried to help orchestrate, that Valeris, we're supposed to think that what was in fact necessary to get the whole truth out of her in order to stop that war was unwarranted? The characters are supposed to think it was unwarranted? Context, please.

Full disclosure: I find TUC to be in the bottom group of the six TOS films, at various times either #4 or #5, depending.
Old June 11 2013, 01:50 PM   #1975
newtontomato539
Commander

It is hilarious when people defend TMP, TFF, TUC and the TNG movies.

But. . . .

Trash the Bad Robot TOS films.

newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:11 PM   #1976
Creepy Critter
Admiral

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
It is hilarious when people defend TMP, TFF, TUC and the TNG movies.

But. . . .

Trash the Bad Robot TOS films.

Why'd you leave out TWOK, TSFS, and TVH? What's so hilarious about it anyway? And, who are these "people"?
Old June 11 2013, 02:20 PM   #1977
Mutoid
Fleet Captain

View Mutoid's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
But it's sensible to assume that prisoners will be allowed to keep their (opposition military) uniforms to do hard labor?

All ST films have nits we can pick. It's part of the fun. But ST VI's nitpicks annoyed me. A lot. Missed opportunities.
I'll just nitpick this in the spirit of fun. In the USA prisoners have uniforms, sometimes ghastly pink ones but if you look at prisons all over the world you'll see that prisoners are often wearing clothes bought from home, donations anything.
Some countries even allow wives and families to be in with their husbands in jail.

In POW camps, prisoners wore their uniforms and I think the Klingons would get a kick from seeing Starfleet prisoners.

I know they would at least do a frisk but perhaps Klingons aren't up on the Veridian patch and the obvious placing was done for the audience benefit. Meyer thinks the audience are as stupid as the Enterprise crew.

Last edited by Mutoid; June 11 2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Take out possible insult
Mutoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:23 PM   #1978
Blackhorse47
Ensign

the entire plotline directly contradicts "Yesterday's Enterprise" etc. etc.
As a matter of interest, how? All I can remember of the stuff that happened in the real world is that Enterprise-C tried to help a Klingon outpost, which doesn't sound as if it contradicts anything that happens in TUC.
Blackhorse47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:32 PM   #1979
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

ST 6 is a pretty sucky movie - a cheap-looking, clumsy flick that tries to sustain itself on a badly constructed mystery plot that doesn't work.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:33 PM   #1980
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Blackhorse47 wrote: View Post
the entire plotline directly contradicts "Yesterday's Enterprise" etc. etc.
As a matter of interest, how? All I can remember of the stuff that happened in the real world is that Enterprise-C tried to help a Klingon outpost, which doesn't sound as if it contradicts anything that happens in TUC.
They didn't snap their fingers and peace was achieved at Khitomer. It was likely a long process with lots of successes and failures and took decades. Khitomer was just the first step.